10's on Jem!! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

10's on Jem!!

I've a Jem77FP and I've put guage 10 strings on it and I've had to screw(springs) the trem just about as far as It can go in terms of setting it up with the knife edge as horizontal as it can be while tuning to concert pitch. I've just put a new set of strings on and still it was just out of pitch. A friend said "put another spring on there" so I now have 4 springs on, the Edge is sitting perfect, the action is very low with a few frets buzzing(I'll move the rod for that) but I'll have to hit the gym if I've to move that trem up or down, boy that 4th spring makes a diff. I have a Yamaha Pacifica 812 with 10's on and only 2 springs and It's brill to play, Is this right with the 10's on me Jem? HELP!!

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 04:58 PM
Vendor

4 springs or the outer 2 in arrow formation. If you pull a spring off the Yamaho you'll find it isn't the same as the ones in your Jem.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
4 springs or the outer 2 in arrow formation. If you pull a spring off the Yamaho you'll find it isn't the same as the ones in your Jem.
I assume they use a special size or tension strength of spring rich? ive often switched out the middle spring in my guitars for different tensions, but im not aware of a size or tension ratio difference. maybe thats somethin we should have available
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 06:29 PM
Vendor

Unless the trem rout is extremely long, obviously something has to be different about the spring to use 2 with 10's
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 06:44 PM

I have done the same thing on my RGR620 and I put a tolta of 4 springs in to have it sitting right. 2 in each side. Only problem is that there are only 3 sring post holes. I unscrewed the steel hole cover and ised teh screw holes to hold the springs.

Is there a better way of doing this Rich??
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 06:47 PM
Vendor

That's the way I do it, but they do make double eyelet spring where you can still use the block lock.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Springs

Had a look at my Yamaha springs Rich, and the tension on them is far greater than the Jems. I have(just this min) taken the Yamaha spring out and set the 3 jem springs in V position with one straight down the mid, as a reasult, I have now got the guitar up and running as far as concert pitch, but the screws are virtually in tight as they can go and the trem sits forward of the knife edge postion. When I had the 4 springs on and the knife edges horizontal with the body the action was nice n low, just how I'd like it.

Thanks for getting back to me you guys. I may be forced into getting It set up by the same guy that did my Yamaha.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 08:39 PM
Vendor

Put the Yamaha springs on it
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 11:35 AM

That's what I'd have him do, but I tell ya, he loves that Pacifica! Doubt he'll want to upset it.

So, is this normal then? A Jem or RG won't handle gauge 10s without an extra spring or the arrow formation? It seems extreme to have the claw screws tightened all the way in to the body like that too. I'd have figured enough people played 10s that a lo-pro would be perfectly happy with them.

Anyway Steve, you're murdering your lovely FP with those big monster strings! And I won't be able to play it if I visit. Come back to 9s like the rest of us humans!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 01:10 PM
Vendor

With 52mm springs the claw will be near out of adjustment, I always put a 4th spring on. I do have a few 47mm springs that I'm sure could handle the 10's
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

So 47mm springs it is then!!!

Otaku is right however, There is no way I'm touching the Pacifica. I'll try and get diff springs for the Jem, other than that..................$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!! No point in keeping somthing that looks nice but I'm sure the 47mm springs will do the, trick I'll talk to the man who can(guy in shop).

As for turning back to 9's?? I'm so heavy handed at best, god knows how many strings I'd go through trying to get back to being a big girl It's all about tone...&..em.. all that!

And you know that Yamaha is a good geet Otaku! Admit it damn it!!!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredmonster
And you know that Yamaha is a good geet Otaku! Admit it damn it!!!
Yamaha... hmmmm... don't they make motorbikes? Would you play a Honda guitar?

You know I'm kidding, my Yamaha modeling amp is the best I ever played, and nobody knows they exist. Motorized knobs, wheee!

Yes, I recall you're a bit heavy-handed, what with your 3mm picks and powertool picking, but all's I'm saying is your Jem doesn't want those 10s on it, otherwise it wouldn't be complaining. AND if I pop over for a jam there's nowt I can play now in the loft.

How's about going for the Maestro set-up: 8s on the top, 10s on the bottom?
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 09:20 AM

hm...I've always thought about trying 10 gauge strings on my dbk. I have it fitted with 9.5s , and it works nice.

Shredmonster> what kinda 10s did you put on?

I used 9s on my les paul, and when I put on some 10s with heavy bottom...whoa...it was a world of difference. Much fuller and richer sounding. Im afraid I cant put heavy bottom strings on my jem, but how does a set of 10(regulars), compare to 9s (on a jem)???? Any sound improvements?

I know I gotta adjust the trem angle, but wont this affect the intonation ?
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Hi EirikHH. I love the tone off the regular 10's that I use on all me guitars. the Jem really hates them though, I really want a dbk but after the way the jem reacted to them.....don't think It'll happen! Thing is, the Jem is fine but for the fact that I can't set the trem up with the knife edges horizontal with the body, and this sucks

Steve.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Don't mess with the Hondas OTAKU, quality geets :P

Tags
claw screws , gauge strings , les paul , yamaha pacifica

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode