10's on my universe - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2003, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

10's on my universe

I have a Uv777BK and i have been running 9's on it since i bought it, recently as i have gotten to be a little bit better player and am playing a little bit harder, more bends and such, i am breaking alot of high e strings. I have heard that 10's ar ethe way to go to get the optimum tone out of a UNI and it seems logical that i would have less string breakage. But, wil;l i have to add a tremolo spring, where do i get these? and should i ecpect an increase in string tension??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2003, 01:00 AM

I don't think you need to add a spring. Just change to a new set of .10 and set it up (check the action, intonation, such and such...), it would be fine.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2003, 01:20 AM

Re: 10's on my universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Roman
I have a Uv777BK and i have been running 9's on it since i bought it, recently as i have gotten to be a little bit better player and am playing a little bit harder, more bends and such, i am breaking alot of high e strings. I have heard that 10's ar ethe way to go to get the optimum tone out of a UNI and it seems logical that i would have less string breakage. But, wil;l i have to add a tremolo spring, where do i get these? and should i ecpect an increase in string tension??
Well I would bet with the seventh string on there, as most sixs will need a spring added if you go to tens to get the tension right. BUt basically you need to try it before you can tell it basically depends on how open or unopen your springs are if that makes any kind of sense to you
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2003, 02:23 AM

i have 10's on my uv777bk, i have the stock springs and it plays great
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2003, 03:47 AM

i have 10's on all my guitars,well except me LP which has 11's,and they all have 3 springs with no problems,when i first got my UV it had 4 springs and 9's so off with the 4th spring,on with tens

There is no reason you need an extra spring,none at all,if you run out of room to tighten the strings then the strings are overly worn . In my experiance

Rob
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2003, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem7RB MK
i have 10's on all my guitars,well except me LP which has 11's,and they all have 3 springs with no problems,when i first got my UV it had 4 springs and 9's so off with the 4th spring,on with tens

There is no reason you need an extra spring,none at all,if you run out of room to tighten the strings then the strings are overly worn . In my experiance

Rob
Depends on his spring configuration once again. He needs to at least try it with three springs, but Ive seen *Many* cases where four springs were absolutely necessary
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2003, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperfrommars1
Quote:

Rob
Depends on his spring configuration once again. He needs to at least try it with three springs, but Ive seen *Many* cases where four springs were absolutely necessary
Due in most part to worn or unsuitable springs i'd wager,Honestly sniper,I've yet to find a guitar that needed a 4th spring added EVER maybe i have just been very lucky?

Rob
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2003, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Rob
Due in most part to worn or unsuitable springs i'd wager,Honestly sniper,I've yet to find a guitar that needed a 4th spring added EVER maybe i have just been very lucky?

Rob
If youll check on richs site youll find that there are basically two distinct spring sizes. This is typically on brand new guitars as well, with fresh factory stock springs that this has been the case. There are places for five springs on the claw for a reason
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 08:13 PM

I agree that 10s are best for Universe tone by far while still having great playability (same for most electrics IMO). I think 9s feel like toys on 7-string guitars. Although 6-strings can get by with them, I still use 10s for better feel and tone on the 6s also. I use 3 springs on the UV, although I have the low B end of the plate the springs attach to screwed pretty far in. Leaving the high E end of the plate out further gives a better feel to the higher strings and makes playing leads easier IMO. Try DR's Tite Fit 7-string set 10-56, VERY nice.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2003, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaUV7
I agree that 10s are best for Universe tone by far while still having great playability (same for most electrics IMO). I think 9s feel like toys on 7-string guitars. Although 6-strings can get by with them, I still use 10s for better feel and tone on the 6s also. I use 3 springs on the UV, although I have the low B end of the plate the springs attach to screwed pretty far in. Leaving the high E end of the plate out further gives a better feel to the higher strings and makes playing leads easier IMO. Try DR's Tite Fit 7-string set 10-56, VERY nice.
I tilt the springs favoring the lower strings a bit too... puts the tension where you need it!
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2003, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Rob

Rob
If youll check on richs site youll find that there are basically two distinct spring sizes. This is typically on brand new guitars as well, with fresh factory stock springs that this has been the case. There are places for five springs on the claw for a reason
Like i said,If you *need* to add a fourth spring then check the springs,AS they are probably overly worn I've been playing trem equipped guitars for over 15 years and *never* have i used 4 springs on *any* guitar

This is my experiance,with Charvels/Jacksons/Fender/Hamer/Ibanez ... Yes,sometimes people do add a 4th or 5th spring,and to be honest,IMO new springs solve this problem and most of the Charvels i have owned only ever had 2 springs ...

I won't say Rich is wrong,i'm just expressing my experiance

Rob
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2003, 03:59 AM
Vendor

You can just use 3 52's, but they're too open for my taste and leave little room for further adjustment unless you go arrow. I prefer 4 if I'm using 52's. You can use 2 47's in arrow but they're super open there, I prefer 3. It all depends on what you prefer.

Now, that's what I do for work, I sure don't mind less tension on my own players [and it's not like I'd ever string one with 10's anyway], I like the looser feel and I don't play enough double stops to care and the ones I do are easily compensated, but having that second string pull way flat bugs most people so for work I prefer to deliver a little stiffer guitar that stays in tune better [and most people playing 10's are playing them for tone and because they consider 9's too flimsy]. [of course I always ask the customer what he wants, problem is they usually don't know]
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2003, 12:23 PM

my uv777bk is set up with 10's with a 60 for the low a /i drop the b down to A/and 3 springs it stays in tune,has low action,and sounds great. You have to be able to set it up right though
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2003, 12:27 PM
Vendor

Stay in tune as when your unbent string in a double stop stays more in tune against a bent string. 3 springs is a no brainer a whole step down.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-30-2003, 12:00 AM

I use and have always used a regular set of D'addario .010s on my UV and always used 3 springs. No problems.

You'll lose a little flutter in your bar, but you'll gain tone in return. And you won't necessarily break fewer strings.

~K

Tags
equipped guitar , ernie ball , higher strings , lower strings , string breakage , string guitars , string tension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode