1988 Jem 777DY vs RG550DY---looking for advice - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

1988 Jem 777DY vs RG550DY---looking for advice

Okay, so I feel a bit ignorant on this, but am hoping to get some clarity..can anyone out there help?

I have an 88 RG550 that I love, with Evo pickups...hard to imagine that I could like a JEM any better than this guitar....but still, I am wondering what are the main differences between these two guitars? Obviously some cosmetic things like the inlays, monkey grip, lions claw, etc....but in terms of the hardware, the electronics, wood types, neck dimensions, etc...can someone put me straight? What are the differences between an 88 RG550 and JEM?

Thanks!

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 06:23 PM

Reviews: 37
Re: 1988 Jem 777DY vs RG550DY---looking for advice

old rg550 = OLD JEM MINUS pickups claw and grip.
i think most older jems are basswood with breeds or pafpros.
evos are a mistake on basswood also (too thin).
the 550 necks are the same as lets say the jem 777 series.
tremelo the is the same.
wood is the same although some newer jems or most are alder.
alder is good for the evo's.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 06:33 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsfury View Post
old rg550 = OLD JEM MINUS pickups claw and grip.
i think most older jems are basswood with breeds or pafpros.
evos are a mistake on basswood also (too thin).
the 550 necks are the same as lets say the jem 777 series.
tremelo the is the same.
wood is the same although some newer jems or most are alder.
alder is good for the evo's.
The first Jems--the 777s had PAF Pros. Also, the necks are not the same as the 500 series necks--similar, but a little beefier. Every basswood RG that I have with Evos kicks nugget! Great pickups in basswood--so are the Breeds.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 06:43 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
The first Jems--the 777s had PAF Pros. Also, the necks are not the same as the 500 series necks--similar, but a little beefier. Every basswood RG that I have with Evos kicks nugget! Great pickups in basswood--so are the Breeds.
The rg has a thin neck for sure, the Jem suprised me being as thick as it was, but did not take long to really enjoying playing the Jem, Considering I always played the wizard.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

I really like the Evo's.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 11:46 AM

The necks are going to feel totally different. Jem 777's tend to have a pretty beefy neck, plus they're oil finished rather than cleared like your RG550.

Old RG's tend to get that really shiny neck from the clear getting polished by playing. I feel that it gets a bit sticky at that point. I usually rub out old necks with steel wool when I get them to bring a satin finish back to it.

Jems on the other hand will vary widely based on how they've been taken care of. I actually like the Jem necks better once I get a chance to refinish them "my way". A lot of them will be very dirty and have a very rough feel to them. I like to strip them and then sand them very lightly, just enough to smooth the surface, then re-oil them and rub them out with steel wool. You end up with a very smooth, satin finish.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 09:00 PM

I wouldn't call the old Jem neck "beefy". It's still very thin, thinner than like a Fender modern 'C', which to me is pretty middle of the road. I like to describe it as if Fender made a "thin modern 'D' profile". There's a little bit more shoulder, not a lot, but enough to make a difference. For me, shoulder can make a neck feel more substantial than it really is.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 09:28 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTiger View Post
I wouldn't call the old Jem neck "beefy". It's still very thin, thinner than like a Fender modern 'C', which to me is pretty middle of the road. I like to describe it as if Fender made a "thin modern 'D' profile". There's a little bit more shoulder, not a lot, but enough to make a difference. For me, shoulder can make a neck feel more substantial than it really is.
I didn't say it was beefy--I said it was beefier than a Wizard. They are still thin necks, just a little thicker than a Wizard.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode