1989 JEM777VBK Restoration - Page 2 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 09:18 AM

Re: 1989 JEM777VBK Restoration

It's looking great mate. As much as it was a regrettable sale I'm so glad it went to someone that put in as much effort with as much attention to detail as you have. If you ever do decide to sell I want first dibs ... I didn't realise how rare they were at the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordiesel View Post
It's looking great mate. As much as it was a regrettable sale I'm so glad it went to someone that put in as much effort with as much attention to detail as you have. If you ever do decide to sell I want first dibs ... I didn't realise how rare they were at the time.

Hey dude. Yep she's in good hands, still some work to go. I think you'd have to fight my luthier for her if it came down to me selling though.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

So I got the replated original tremolo back from the luthier. The saddles didn't plate so well, so I replaced them with saddles from a new Edge and also the tuning screws.

I think it turned out pretty good, the electroplater managed to colour-match the Cosmo black really well. It cost about $140 all up including the saddles, would probably be cheaper if I only did the base-plate.

So now it's only the headstock decals and cut/polish the paint work, then it's all finished.
Dutchie, aesthyrian and Hoseki like this.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-17-2020, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

OK, so in a moment of weakness late last year I caved and sent the VBK to Ernie at ET guitars to get the paint and headstock decals done from scratch. Quite confronting to see her like this, but Ernie knows what he's doing and I'm looking forward to getting her home in the near future. The main hurdle at the moment is getting hold of water-slide decals in the correct green.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200331_171456.jpg (559.8 KB, 48 views)
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-18-2020, 07:16 AM

Are you getting it painted black or another colour???

I just got this from Ernie a few weeks ago. He built and painted all of it.
Just waiting on pink pups to arrive...

lordhar, jono, pteropid and 1 others like this.
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-18-2020, 07:26 AM

The logo is painted over the varnish on the headstock he must already have the model to do the painting in fluorescent green.
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-18-2020, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Wow Dutchie, that looks awesome. I'm really happy that Ernie is doing this one for you, I know you've been wanting this configuration for a while.

We are getting the VBK back to as close to original as possible, unfortunately without the two part epoxy clear coat as it's impossible to get the original formula now. It will be interesting to see how Ernie goes with getting the dents out, I've seen some of his other black refinishes and they are immaculate, which was why I ended up leaving the guitar with him. I know I said I wasn't going to do the paint, but after seeing some of his other work I gave in and left the guitar with him. It's been killing me not having Betty around for so long, she's my main instrument and I've basically stopped playing for the last 12 months since dropping her off.

I've created a high-res electronic version of the green logo based on another '89 VBK, but I need to find someone to print it on water-slide decal paper.
jono and Dutchie like this.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-19-2020, 06:37 AM

^ Thanks man. Yeah it turned out nice. I took a lot longer than exacted to get it finished but it was worth the wait.

Have you asked Ernie about getting a decal for you? He got mine. I think it was around $20.

Looking forward to seeing yours finished.
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-19-2020, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Yeah he's been having massive trouble getting a green one in the correct colour. That's why I took a photo of an original '89 headstock and extracted the logo into a printable electronic version so we can get someone to make a reproduction. Hopefully on the home stretch now.
Dutchie likes this.

Tags
777 , jem , restoration , vbk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode