Ibanez JEM Forum banner
6K views 38 replies 12 participants last post by  The Euphor 
#1 ·
I just sent out yesterday the balance $'s to get a 1990 PWH sent my way from a dealer in New York.
It has the Original Edge trem, has anyone tryed the original next to the low pro on a Universe? How is the diference in tension and feel?
I know there is a huge diference on a 6 string from the edge to low pro, and 6 string trems feel far diferent from 7 string trems because of string tension. So that gives me no reference.

Im Guitarless as of two days ago,,,looking so forward to this PWH so we can get back to Recording, yet the original edge on a 7? mmm? I may have to quickly order a low pro to put on there.

Hey what happened to the New Jem Thread?

#3 ·
1990 UV7PWH

Hey Gregory,
It is being shipped to me here in Michigan from New York today. Should have it Thursday or Friday.
Wonder how She will be,,,I do know from my experience, the early Jem and UV's are much better than the mid to later years, so im sure it will be sweet.

Just wonder about the original edge on a 7 string? Some new ground for me to check out. :)

#4 ·
1990 UV7PWH

i can't say i've played the earier UVs, but my '99 UV777bk plays/looks/sounds (mostly) like a dream! The AANJ was a big improvement.

I've heard it called 'the ultimate players guitar' here and other places as well.

can anyone who has owned both compare earlier vs later UVs?

~K

#5 ·
1990 UV7PWH

i can't say i've played the earier UVs, but my '99 UV777bk plays/looks/sounds (mostly) like a dream! The AANJ was a big improvement. I've heard it called 'the ultimate players guitar' here and other places as well. can anyone who has owned both compare earlier vs later UVs? ~K
Picture the UV777BK with the old, klunky heel. The old UVs have a similar neck (slight variences of cource), however on occasion you'll find some with the nasty poly-acrylic on rear of the neck instead.

The Edge7 and EdgeLoPro7 have the similar stiff feel. The Edge might be more lively due to the mass further back but very close... glen

#7 ·
1990 UV7PWH

Yeah the UV777BK's aanj is a big plus, what I have found is the older UV's sounding much better and having much thinner necks. I have played 6 of the new UV's, they are very sweet! just something missing in the sound compared to Older UV's? Not sure how to pin point it.(may just be weaker wound pickups?) But the necks on at least the ones I have tryed were very thick. I like the old UV neck profile.

mm? thanks Glen for the edge 7 info,,Greg I will let you know once I test drive her.

Peace and make Music
RJ

#8 ·
1990 UV7PWH

Anyone knows if the end of the heel of the neck was modified with the AANJ ?
I personnaly own a PWH (Moondance, I can tell you you'll fall in love with yours ;) ), and the only thing that bugs me a little is the fact that, under the fretbord, the neck doesn't continue untill 24th fret.
I didn't unassemble the guitar to say that, but I can guess, because when you right hand tap in this area or play the guitar unplugged, you can hear a "hollow" sound, as if there was no wood under the fretboard (or maybe my fretboard wants its freedom back ??? Glups).

Not a big problem, but it would have been better with maple untill the end of the neck. I know that on my JEM90 this problem doesn't exist anymore.

But hey, don't focus on this, you'll love her anyway :biggrin:

Regards.

#10 ·
1990 UV7PWH

Eddie, Yeah I use to have a PWH in 1997 for about 6-7 months, and i have had all the Universe machines one time or another, except the uv7bk with out the green, and the PWH is far my fav!!! I have not even been that excited that it's coming after trying to get one for so long??? Im even with out any guitar right now standing in the middle of a recording project?

I think I will light up when it gets here though,,, :) Just have to see it to believe it I think?

I have Rich Harris to Thank for finding me this PWH.
THANKS dude!!!! :)

Peace and make Music for the Future!
RJ

#12 ·
1990 UV7PWH

Moondance, just to help you in your waiting, here's a photo of mine (yes, I know it'll make you more impatient, but I had myself to wait for one whole month with only this photograph on an auction site before it was mine !!!). This photograph was taken in its previous home (thanks Julien), but I can tell you that she is still as sweet as she was then. Don't forget to drop a line (and a jpg) when you have yours !!!

Don't forget : Ibanez rules (no, this isn't a free add ;) )

#13 ·
1990 UV7PWH

Rich if She has a strait neck, level frets and stays in tune,,im jazzed!!! :)

Eddie, oh dear!!! Nice sweet machine!!! My PWH should be here in one or two more days. Man with no axe since last thursday, the last 6 days have been like the longest hours know to man kind.

Yeah I think Ibanez Guitars are by far the best too, The RG1077XLRB looks like a great sister for the PWH.
There is some very HOT stuff in the 2001 catalog!!!
whoooh!

Peace
RJ

#16 ·
1990 UV7PWH

Hey guys, after the arrival of moondance PWH, we'll only have to find pics for the 869 others :silly:

And Glen, thanks for the neck solution. I forgot rule #32c6 : "always read 3 times the whole site before any question" ;)

It makes me wonder if one day I'll find a question you don't know the answer ! Ah, maybe : what size for the green boots on PAW ??? :biggrin: Glen, this site is too good !

Moondance, make music too, it'll help you to wait ;)

#20 ·
1990 UV7PWH

The PWH came yesterday, and it is so Nice! Strait neck, level frets and stays in tune perfect!!! Man! They sure don't make them like this any more, the Inlays are cutt awesome, the pickguard is placed rite on, neck profile and thickness is so sweet! etc,,,etc,,,!!! :)

The action and Tone is outstanding!

She does have many more chips out of the body than the dealer had said,,and it was beyond filthy!?!? The strings were total rust and the nasty finger gew on the board was so bad, it was covering part of the inlays.. The Dealer claimed it to be in excellent condition??? They sure need a wake up call there.
The pickguard had been poorly painted with spray paint, and who ever did it didn't take it off to paint it, or even mask off the pickups or knobs and stuff very well. So I think you all can understand when I say it took me 5 strait Hours last night to strip the Machine down to every screw and get it up to par. Plus no whammy Bar and tools? How can anyone sell an Ibanez with out tools?

Yet She is Flawless for me! She has 100% plus, the Heart of what is Important, Action,SWEET Neck Profile and Thickness, Tone, and Stays intune! Looks very nice after her major Bath. :)

Start to Finish, with Brand new UV1000c case and Shipping, My total into Her is $945.00 and 5 Hours of Hard work. This Rocks!!!!

Peace and Time for the Music!
RJ

#21 ·
1990 UV7PWH

Greg,,,
Thanks for the offer on the Low Pro Edge 7, but im going to keep the Original Edge 7 on her.
The Low Pro is stiffer and makes a little tighter string Tension. Which I think is great! Yet the Original Edge gives unreal!! soft action (from little less tension) and the Whammy Control is much more sensitive than on the Low Pro.

I desire two have both the Original edge 7 and Low Pro 7 one day. Just have to find another UV7PWH with Low pro in the future. :)

After going through a new UV777BK, two new DNA's and a new 2000 Floral. Took me going back in time 11 years to get a machine that fully performes to a players needs. That holds up to the Quality/Price standards that Ibanez set for me in 1988 with the First Jem I purchased.

This PWH is my 25th Ibanez Jem/UV I have had since 88.

So nice to FINALLY! Have a Great machine again.:)

Peace
RJ

(Edited by moondance at 11:00 am on April 5, 2001)

#22 ·
1990 UV7PWH

oh yeah,,any one have an extra Ibanez truss rod wrench I can buy? I gave all my spares away when i had my last couple new Jems, so I can't finish my set up.

Thanks!!! Again to Rich, the Ibanez Rules dude, he pointed me to this PWH and hooked me up with a uv1000c case and whammy Bar for it.
THANKS a lot Rich,,,im Finally happy with a machine. :)

Peace is the heart of a GOOD JOURNEY.......

#24 ·
1990 UV7PWH

cooool!

congratulations ! Mine took almost the same amount of time in the bath :biggrin:

I can feel you happiness, the guitar is so sweet !!

Hope you enjoy as much as I do, and remember PICTURES :)

ahh... you can add another PWH, I know a girl who has one too here in my city....that's so cool, a girl with a 7pwh :angel:

c-ya
gilberto

#25 ·
1990 UV7PWH

Moondance, I'm so happy you find your other half with this guitar. I'm also very sad to see that some people have a such a lack of respect for instruments (I even can say that the only uncool thing for me about Vai is the way he smashes guitars during his shows, anyway...).
Fortunately, mine was in perfect shape when I met her, and is still now (thanks Julien). But I can tell you that my first sentence about this guitar, as I was playing her in an hotel room the night after buying, was "she really has a nice soul". Of course my girlfriend had some problems to understand, but I think you will. Enjoy as much as you can...

Rich, for the boots, I was also kidding ;) Maybe we can start a contest on this question, I'm more likely to win anything if I don't have to play the guitar :biggrin:

Gilberto, I sometimes go to Brazil for business (I go to Taubaté, between Sao Paulo and Rio). Next time I go there, I absolutely want you to introduce me the PWH girl !!! A brazilian girl with a PWH, what on earth could be better !!! (ouch, my girlfriend was still here :angel: )

Moondance, play till your fingers burn !!!

#26 ·
1990 UV7PWH

Kenny, LOL
after what I was just experienced with the last 4 new Ibanez Guitars,,,cleaning this baby was fun. because the neck, action, tone and quality of the whole Guitar is AWESOME! WOW!

Gilberto, Thanks!
Pictures will be up soon as I can, this neck is one to flip over! :) That is very cool, a girl with a PWH, sweet! The PWH even has it's own Angelistic kind of presence. I also have a friend down state who has the PWH I use to own in 1997. She is a sweet one too.

Eddie, Thanks!
I also can't see how people can trash a Guitar, I understand playing it hard. But this thing was at a Dealer on the wall looking like it went through a war. Good thing for me though, if it was like it is now, the dealer would of called it dead mint, LOL and charge an over priced/collectors price?. Which BTW, they did try to charge $1000 with no case because they said it was rare and collectable??? I talked them down and explained reality and the owner was cool.
Yep,,,understand about the Soul, I have found the connection of releasing my own soul through this PWH. So nice to find musical freedom! :) Yes sir, I have had this Guitar in my hands for two days, She goes everywhere I go. Im back into Recording and living the music. I still can't believe how sweet this neck is,,whooooh!!!!

The PWH is the Classy Time Machine, nothing like how the white turns to a vintage yellow tint and looks awesome!!! Did you know the reason a quality white finish on Guitars turns yellowish is because lack of sunlight? Yep! Unlike the Neons, sunlight hurts them, the PWH gets better with sinlight. :)

Peace and music
RJPWH

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.