1991 original 777DY help needed - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

1991 original 777DY help needed

Hi Folks,
It's been ages since I've had the pleasure of posting here and I return looking for help and advice. Please note this is not a fishing thread. I genuinely need the help and advice of people who know what I'm talking about as insurance companies / non musicians / other Les Paul players have been little use so far.
I have a 1991 all original 777DY. It's in it's original case and is unfaded. It's what I'd classify as "player condition" as there a couple of superficial dinks.
I have all of my music gear insured but this guitar is booting my premium to a point where I don't know whether to keep it and let it continue getting very little play time or to just sell it and buy something I will play. If I swap it for something else then at least I'll be paying insurance premiums on a guitar I use but on the other hand am I sitting on a guitar that 10yrs down the line I'll wish I'd kept hold of. My questions are....
Are they rare?
Is it worth an extra 20 per month insurance?
I have it valued at 1200 and if I had a Les Paul insured at 1200 the premium would only be an extra 8 per month. Why the hike for the Jem?
You guys who have owned then sold, have you massive regrets?
Am I crazy to keep holding onto something I only play rarely?

I'm tearing my hair out here guys so all you help and advice will be much appreciated.
Cheers,
Ben

Last edited by Eggy; 02-21-2010 at 10:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 10:24 AM

Re: 1991 original 777DY help needed

I can only speculate as to why the premiums are higher on the JEM, and that'd be simple supply and demand. There possibly aren't as many '91 JEMs available as there are '91 Les Pauls?

However, I'm of the opinion that you should play all your guitars. When a guitar starts spending more of its time in a case, you should probably rethink it's worth to you, and what it might be worth to someone else.

Also, I used to have an '88 DY myself. It was a great guitar and while I sometimes miss it, I don't regret selling it at all.

~d~
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

It's not that I don't like the Jem it's more that I view guitars as tools to do a job. It's just a long time since I've needed to do a Job with a Jem.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 10:56 AM

From your first statement though, it sounded like you want to keep it because of some potential sentimental value. I'm not trying to judge you, I'm just saying that if it's not getting used, you should rethink it's value to you.

Using your tool analogy, you obviously have other tools to do the jobs you generally do, so why keep the JEM if it's not useful to you? I'd say it's then like a rusty screwdriver that you keep in the tool drawer. Never know when you'll need it, but keep it just in case? All the while it's atrophying while it sits in the drawer.

Possibly reevaluate it's use in another context - think about making it your practice guitar, or your "around the house" guitar so that it's at least being used and is worth the extra loot you're spending on insuring it.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 11:52 AM

You'll be gutted the moment you get rid of it. I'd look for a new insurance company. That amount of money for a single guitar per month is preposterous.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemboyee View Post
I'd look for a new insurance company. That amount of money for a single guitar per month is preposterous.
Fully agree - why wouldn't you look for an insurance policy that doesn't require you to specify items rather than sell your guitar because your current company charge a ridiculous premium?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 03:58 PM
NSR

I'm in agreement with jemboyee. I have a (heavily) customised 7VWH which is insured for 3000 and that costs me around 30-35 / year to insure! Not wanting to advertise insurance companies, it's specific musical instrument cover from a company that 'Ends' with 'leigh'

I know that they're not the cheapest either, I used them as I was due to travel with it and needed the cover asap. If you shop around you may be able to get it cheaper.

Hope that's of help.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggy View Post
Is it worth an extra 20 per month insurance?
I have it valued at 1200 and if I had a Les Paul insured at 1200 the premium would only be an extra 8 per month.
Ben
Hi there, are you insuring your music stuff just within your house or insuring them for outside as well (i.e for gigging etc)?

I have over 13 guitars ranging in value from 500 to 2000 (one just happens to be a mint '88 777DY). They are all covered under my home contents insurance policy and I don't have to specify the make etc individually. They make very little difference to my monthly premium.

Am I missing something vitally important here. Should I have them all insured individually???!!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 06:07 PM
NSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickster View Post
Am I missing something vitally important here. Should I have them all insured individually???!!
You want to check your policy. My home insurance policy covers a maximum of 1500 per item (why I went for a seperate music instrument policy). Some insurance policies will cover out of the house too, even for accidental damage out of the home when you don't have accidental damage cover in the home (absurd, I know) - which should cover gigging, etc. My instrument cover is for everything except if anything happens when left in an unattended vehicle.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 08:37 AM

I can't comment on everything you asked, but I recently bought a 1991 777DY in much the same condition as yours, so I do want to throw in my 2 cents in case it helps you come to a decision.

I think as rarity goes, I think any of the 777 variety will become more rare as time goes on. Sadly, I've noticed that these guitars just aren't as well taken care of as other types, so you might see fewer and fewer in the condition that yours is in. This is just my observation, I have no proof to back it up.

As for it being a tool, I can't imagine thinking of a 777DY as a mere tool. A Jem doesn't bring anything to special to the table other than flavor. It's all flavor, IMO! Tone-wise and playability-wise, they're really nothing special beyond your typical RG. My point is that you should really question its sentimental value to you before you sell it. Figure out why you bought it in the first place.

And finally...ever considered just not insuring it? I understand the concept of insuring something; if its a tool for your livelihood then you need to insure it. I also understand the idea of recouping a loss.

What I DON'T get is how recouping a cash amount is really going to help recoup something that is very rare or even one-of-a-kind. Like if Steve Vai insured Evo (which I'm sure he has). If it was stolen, what would he do? He can't exactly buy another Evo, can he? Offer the insurance money as a reward for its return?

Also, I cannot see anyone who regularly has to sell instruments just to pay the bills as someone who's in the position to consider insurance. Where I come from, even life insurance is something reserved for those with disposible income, not something who's in the "ends-meet" category would probably care about. Hell, I'm lucky I have it through where I work in addition to the policy my mother has on me from years ago! I'm assuming you're in the "disposible income" category. So I'm doubting that if the unthinkable happens, your stolen Jem won't mean you all of a sudden can't pay your rent.

Last edited by RedTiger; 02-22-2010 at 10:42 AM.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 01:10 PM
Banned

777dy here in uk go for around 900-1200,1200 is mint condition.didnt someone offer you 4000 for your 777dy one time ben ????.keep it man i remember trying to buy it from you few years ago and you were very smitten by it.cancell insurance mate just keep it in the loft in its case,only get it out when you fancy playing with it.and no they are not rare,there was zillions of 777dy's made from 1987-1993.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 01:08 PM

Reviews: 9

I don't insure my guitars individually, my home contents insurance has an excess of 250, so I don't care. If I take guitars out for whatever reason, I don't let their presence be known unless I have to, and keep it with me, or locked away at all times...

It's not hard to look after, I've never had a problem, and I'd never consider insuring my guitars individually. Particularly not for that money... 5 years insuring that, you could have bought yourself a spare.

Alternatively

Sell it to me, I'll give you 750 (he he he...)
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 01:28 PM

I've been GASing for a DY, I've noticed they go for a grand or so (well-used) to two grand (nice) in $USD on average. They made them for almost ten years; there's gotta be a crapton of them out there as compared to most models, esp. those that were only made for a year or two.

They're neat; I'd hang on to mine if I had one.

Last edited by AgentHeinz; 03-26-2010 at 01:36 PM.

Tags
jem777dy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode