1st string problem - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

1st string problem

I have a Joe Satriani model. The 1st string breaks up when played, its almost a vibrato type thing. More pronounced when using distortion. The other strings ring clear. Anyone else had this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 03:52 PM

Re: 1st string problem

does it break up when you play it open or when fretted?

most likely its hitting against a fret. If its open then your nut will need to be raised, if its while you fret then you might consider adding a shim underneath the first string saddle. or you could raise the bridge on the side that your having the problem. Also check neck relief that will effect all strings.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 07:04 PM

How do you raise a floyd nut?
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 07:06 PM

You can shim it up, but for just one string you can put a small dab of crazy glue in the V of the locking nut to raise it a bit.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 08:36 PM

Reviews: 18

Where does the string break from? Is it at the saddle? If that's the case, you need to file the groove of the saddle and make sure there's no sharp areas where the string can get caught thus making it break.

Jimmy
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 04:16 AM

Steady on, before you go filing anything, what do you mean by 'break up'? Buzz?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 10:45 AM

i think he is referring to the sound breaking up not the string actually breaking, but i could be wrong.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 10:27 PM

Reviews: 15

It sounds to me that the right side of the bridge is too low, or a fret is high. It's a classic case of buzzing.

Also make sure that the neck isn't warped (slightly twisted). Look down the length of the neck from the headstock down.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 12:46 PM

Try loosening your truss rod. When a truss rod is tightened beyond necessary, it starts affecting the side of the fretboard where the high strings are first.

Now the edit part:

What I've written above goes for one or two frets choking the note.

If the vibrato sound happens when you play an open string only, you have to replace the locking nut. It used to happen to me when I had a Fender Stratocaster. My B string would sound strange when played open, with a slight vibration sound like you described.

Does it sound floppy as soon as you pick it, like when you're tuning a string after replacing it, and it's still very flat to produce a decent sound?

Last edited by Melek Taus; 07-01-2010 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Floppy sound thingy

Tags
joe satriani model

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode