20 fret buzz - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

20 fret buzz

Hi everyone I always have a lot of problems finding the rhigt balance betwen buzzing and string action I follow all the recomendations and my string action its exelent and almost no buzz at all.. onely my 20 fret its buzzing like hell all the fretboard its fine even whit large bends but when it comes to the 20 fret onely in the first string the thing buzz i notice that the strings touch the next fret when i put my finger on it so thats the buzz but hou can i resolve this without afectin my string action thanx for your advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 05:59 PM

Re: 20 fret buzz

sounds like you have a fret that needs levelling. just take it to your luthier. it should only take a minute to level it out.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

mmm that will be a problem
in my town theres no luthiers

there is a posibiliti to do the job myself??? how can I doit I imagine that its not to dificult rigth???
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 10:50 PM

Its an easy job IF you know what you are doing. I recommend having a pro do it but here are the steps. First, you need a short straight edge to determine which fret or frets are high. Once you find which frets need work, you need to decide if the fret is simply popped out of the slot a bit or if it is really too tall. A tall fret gets filed down to match the surrounding frets and then re-crowned and polished. A popped or lifted fret needs to be reseated. This can be done with a fret hammer(plastic or brass head) or a fret press. Often, popped frets need to be glued to stay down. If you do not have the proper tools and files, you can destroy your frets and a partial refret will cost much more than a pro repair on a few frets.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode