2000 VWH paint problems - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2001, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

2000 VWH paint problems

Ok, here's the scoop. *I've got a 2000 JEM7VWH that is the nicest guitar I've owned. *I love everything about it except one thing. *
The paint is shrinking or something and I can now see the wood grain when light shines off of the paint. *Wood grain texture I should say.
This guitar gets played quit a bit, but it is babied to the 'enth degree.
It was my understanding that the VWH had a veneer of basswood on the Alder body to avoid this. *Is that true.
Is this something that is typical on the VWH or should I talk to Ibanez about it?
My 88 JEM777DY and 90 UV7BK and 2000 UV777BK don't have this at all, just the VWH.
It doesn't show unless you really look hard, but it is annoying me none-the-less.
Jeremy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2001, 12:32 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
2000 VWH paint problems

Yes it's true and you'll probably have to deal with it due to that. If you are unsure have your dealer check it out and work up the chain of command for support from Ibanez. It starts there. Good luck... glen
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2001, 12:43 AM

2000 VWH paint problems

I have a slightly different problem.. I noticed that the paint job in the monkey grip on my 7VWH sucks for a $2000 guitar. Thicker in some parts than others...
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2001, 12:49 AM
site founder 0% owner

2000 VWH paint problems

Quote:
I have a slightly different problem.. I noticed that the paint job in the monkey grip on my 7VWH sucks for a $2000 guitar. Thicker in some parts than others...
That is seen on every JEM since it is quite difficult to buff, sand, paint, clearcoat and polish in the monkeygrip. JEM owners (or owners to be) need to live with that one... glen
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2001, 12:59 AM
Vendor

2000 VWH paint problems

It's the alder that's shrinking. The basswood veneer is extremely thin and will kinda shrink with the alder to some degree. If it didn't have the basswood veneer it would look much worse.

On the monkey grip, it would be nice if they sanded and polished in there, but they never have. I'm sure with all the polishing attachments available today it could be polished.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2001, 02:02 AM Thread Starter

2000 VWH paint problems

Sounds to me like I'd probably have the same issues with another brand new one then I guess. *So, I guess I'll just live with it. *Any idea about how thick the clear coat on the VWH is? *I've painted numerous motorcycle tanks and the like and know all about cutting and polishing paint. *But if the clear isn't thick enough, I'll run into more problems anyway.
How long does the Alder shrink for anyway? *If after one year I cut and polish the finish back to glass smooth, will it shrink more and do the same thing?
It just really bugs me in a trivial way, I love the guitar, but I've really got no time for poor paint. *I know, it's supposed to be about how the guitar sounds and plays, but the VWH has been about my favorite looking Jem to date (not counting the DNA's of course) and I am just bummed about the finish.
Jeremy
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2001, 08:01 PM

2000 VWH paint problems

just a question jeremy.

how long have you had 2000 vwh?

i've had mine since middle of feb, and it hasn't happened to me yet, i just want to know so i can look out for it. *i'm looking at it right now and there does'nt seem to be a problem.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2001, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

2000 VWH paint problems

I've had my VWH since October last year. *I just recently noticed it, so I don't really know how long it's been that way.
Jeremy
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2001, 10:12 PM

2000 VWH paint problems

Having never had a JEM before, when I got my 7VWH I noticed some non-uniformity in the paint inside of the monkey grip, but personally I didn't care. *It's in a basically invisible part of the guitar and it really doesn't effect the overall look at all since on mine I have to turn it sideways and put my face on the body to even notice. *I don't really play mine very often though so I haven't had a chance to really notice any weathering of any sort.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2001, 11:33 PM

2000 VWH paint problems

Remember that part of "babying" your axes (any type) includes controlling your storage area's humidity. *Most everything wood in your house will expand and contract when ambient moisture is added or taken away.

You can pick up a hygrometer at Radio Shack for cheap. *I've found that keeping the humidity b/t 40 and 50% keeps things pretty stable. *My guess is you're probably much lower than that. *If so, you can use a room humidifier or at least a "dampit" system in-case to control the humidity. *Remember also that you've got to keep the humidity constant - going from dry to moist to dry to moist is probably worse for your equipment than the environment you have now.

Electric heat and heat pump systems take an incredible amount of moisture out of house air as they're operating. *Interior home humidity is a really complex subject involving a ton of variables - it can seriously affect your health and the longevity of your house and furnishings. *Throwing guitars (which need a more humid environment than is really healthy) into the mix doesn't help much! *Hope this helps.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2001, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

2000 VWH paint problems

Lange,
My acoustics are kept in a humidity controlled room for that very reason. *Due to corrosion of the metal parts on the electrics, I just keep them in a regular room.
Mostly I was curious about the VWH. *My other 6 Ibanez's (5 basswood, 1 mahogany) don't have the grain showing through. *I'm sure it's the Alder in the VWH changing, I just didn't realize the veneer of basswood was so thin that it would be that noticable.
Jeremy
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-12-2001, 12:18 AM
Vendor

2000 VWH paint problems

The exact measurement was on the old forum, but .001" comes to mind. It's very thin and just to keep the paint from sinking into the alder.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-12-2001, 12:31 AM
site founder 0% owner

2000 VWH paint problems

Quote:
Quote: from Rich on 12:18 am on Mar. 12, 2001
The exact measurement was on the old forum, but .001" comes to mind. It's very thin and just to keep the paint from sinking into the alder.
See the Jemsite --> Guitar --> JEM/UV spec sheet for the exact measurement ...glen
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-12-2001, 12:36 AM
Vendor

2000 VWH paint problems

Now would it have been that much harder to correct me by saying 0.5mm instead?!?! 1/2 a mil, guess that's a little thicker than 1000th of an inch!! LOL (still pretty thin though!)
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-12-2001, 06:34 AM

2000 VWH paint problems

Man, if the veneer is that thin, why bother? Doesn't sound like it's doing it's job anyway...

Jeremy,
I've got a '94 VWH and you can see the woodgrain in a certian light on mine too. But mine is before the basswood veneer. I don't mind it and don't think it destracts from the appearance of the guitar at all. Try not to let it bother you too bad. Sometimes that's easier said then done...

Tags
alder body , clear coat , monkey grip , vwh paint

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode