Ibanez JEM Forum banner
3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  The Madness Here 
#1 ·
I just bought a jem 7vwh from rich, but to my surprise, as well as his, the fretboard for the 2004 model is rosewood, not ebony like the 2003 model. I'm trying to decide if I should still get it (he hasn't sent it yet) or look for a used one with an ebony fretboard

I'm wondering, has it been ebony fretboard on the 7vwh from the beginning till now, or was there a time when it was rosewood too? I'd like to know what you guys think are the advantages/disadvantages to each in terms of both sound and appearance...it'd be nice to see a pic of a jem 7vwh with a rosewood fretboard, but I think the one on the ibanez website is ebony (I think it's a pic of last years model).

Anyways, any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.
Thanks!
-Jeff.

#6 ·
jeffrg270 said:
Glen,

Just curious, what makes you consider a rosewood fretboard an "unexpected bonus" over ebony?

-Jeff.
I never really liked Ebony, as it's too sterile and overhyped (not just here). Alot of the ebony slabs on VWHs were low grade anyways (they were not inky black and waxy/oily). I much prefer rosewood's feel and tone, especially a nice quality piece of rosewood as Rich stated apparently as the VWH is.

I can understand people's reactions, with this coming out of left field. People have drooled over a VWH since 1993-4 - for 10 years now - and the VWH featuring ebony and being the most expensive JEM (until the VSBL) was no doubt a factor where people they feel ebony is superior.

Vai hasn't played Ebony in YEARS ;) The VWH should have been changed ages ago to reflect the signature player's preferences.

It's a GOOD move, but in typical Ibanez fashion, handled and explained POORLY... glen

#10 ·
sniperfrommars1 said:
As far as I know isnt this the first change of this kind in the jem line? Now they just need Buzz Feiten everything, and add a sustainer, and there we are :>. But some progression is at least merited.
agreed, guitars should come stock with the buzz feiten adjustment. Although, if its stock, I guess it wouldn't be an adjustment.

thats one of the cooler things about the 2003+ guitars, now that the nut isn't bolted through the neck, a buzz feiten adjustment is much easier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.