2004 JEM7VWH Spec change - Page 2 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 133 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 04:09 AM

I am kind of disappointed coz I like the feel and look of ebony board. Well, since Mr.Vai have been using rosewood board for a while, so making the VWH to be the same spec as he uses is the right thing to do. For me, I will start looking for pre '04 VWH.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 133 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 04:15 AM

I like strawberry !

Regards

André

post #18 of 133 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 04:44 AM

Hi Rich!

Thank you for the reply!
The conclusion of your answer is:
don't worry be happy with your 04 jem? Right?
It's only the taste! No Restriction in the sound and worth of the guitar!?

Thank you!!

Rosewood Ice Cream????? No way!!!!
post #19 of 133 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 06:16 AM

It is indeed a significant change! For the better?... Better profit margin for Hoshino! Ebony boards were one of the features of this unique guitar that made it stand out. And even well informed guys like Rich don't even know for sure before production of this change is not a very good business practice on Hoshino's part! Just like Rich's explaination on his site of the pennies saved per unit by not using locking studs, this change is all about manufacturing savings as well. Great job Hoshino! Keep it up and your 7VWH will be a pretty piece of firewood!

This flavor ice cream kinda leaves a bad after taste!
post #20 of 133 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 09:25 AM

the reason for this is kinda debateable, i dont know how much more expensive ebony is to get than rosewood anyhow. ? ?

personaly im fine with this (i wont be buying a 7vsh anyhow lol) but i think the ebony that was used on most vwhs that ive seen is rather substandard when you compare it to alot of decent slices (just imho).

so i would say rosewood will be fine.
post #21 of 133 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 10:19 AM

My two cents: the ebony fretboards on the VWH is one of the things that turned me off to that model. Someone here said Ibanez's ebony is a lower grade or quality. I would agree with that. The only ebony board I really liked was on a Jackson.
post #22 of 133 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 10:47 AM

What makes one piece of ebony "substandard" or "lower grade" than another?
post #23 of 133 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 11:19 AM

well glen said in another post that a lower grade isnt as waxy ink black etc.

to me its about grain a realy good slice of ebony is smooth as glass with very little in the way of grain. substandard feels very open and dry and is generaly not very nice.
post #24 of 133 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelyfinger
It is indeed a significant change! For the better?... Better profit margin for Hoshino! Ebony boards were one of the features of this unique guitar that made it stand out. And even well informed guys like Rich don't even know for sure before production of this change is not a very good business practice on Hoshino's part! Just like Rich's explaination on his site of the pennies saved per unit by not using locking studs, this change is all about manufacturing savings as well. Great job Hoshino! Keep it up and your 7VWH will be a pretty piece of firewood!

This flavor ice cream kinda leaves a bad after taste!
They're not doing it to save money, they're doing it because it's what Steve Vai uses on his own guitars, and since he designs the JEM line, that's what's on the production guitars (it just took way too long for Ibanez to clue in and switch it). Rosewood is not a cheaper/worse wood than ebony.
post #25 of 133 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Vendor

There's never been anything substandard about the ebony they used.

Stevie would have had to approve the change, he's still in control of all bottom line decisions on all Jems.

People have complained for years the VWH isn't the same as what Steve plays. Now it is, end of story.

Now everybody will complain they downgraded from ebony to rosewood.

My only complaint is the way it WASN'T announced.
post #26 of 133 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpd111
My two cents: the ebony fretboards on the VWH is one of the things that turned me off to that model. Someone here said Ibanez's ebony is a lower grade or quality. I would agree with that. The only ebony board I really liked was on a Jackson.
So, can I say that their rosewood perhaps a lower grade also? I don't know it is lower grade or not, but I like the feel of ebony.
post #27 of 133 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 01:14 PM

BTW, I agree with Rich that they should have announed this change earlier than this (especially to dealers).
post #28 of 133 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 01:32 PM

I've said it more than once, but I'll say it again,

Feel wise, Ebony, Rosewood and maple are quite different, tonally, the difference is sooooo minimal 99% of people would never notice it.

I have out of curiosity and due to opinions on this very site, taken one guitar neck, on one guitar, and over the course of 2 weeks, changed the board from the original rosewood, to maple, and then to ebony just to see what the difference in tone was.

The actual tonal difference, with a solid body guitar, through a bypassed amp (just the guitar tone) Nothing that I could tell and I have a damn good ear.

The only guitar I think I've noticed a difference on is the Strat maple necks where the fretboard is one piece with the neck, not glued on.
The fretboard is such a minimal piece of wood, and with a GLUE joint between the board and neck to rob any actual chance of tonal variation, that it doesn't not do squat for tone IMO. Your fret size makes a greater difference due to string contact area.

That being said, the subconcious mind will tell you that one or the other sounds better, and, chances are good that if you play 3 different guitars, one maple, one rosewood and one ebony, they will all sound different, but due to many more variables than just the fretboard. If you were to be blindfolded, and play the neck that I had changed the board on, and every board was cleared so there was no difference in feel, I would bet that guitar that nobody would know the difference in tone between the fretboards.
So what guitar did that neck end up on, the JEM911USA with the ebony, why did I choose ebony? I like the feel, and I prefer the look of nice dark ebony.

Anyway, that's just my opinion from an experiment, I know many won't believe me, but whatever, I did it, and it's my educated opinion, I'm sure there is a small tonal difference, but I doubt any human ear would actually notice it.
So, when it comes to picking a fretboard wood, I just suggest going with what you like the feel of the best.

Just my two cents
post #29 of 133 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 01:35 PM

If there were only one Jem with one configuration, people would complain. If there were every possible configuration and color of Jems, people would complain. Just think how boring it would be if Ibanez never changed anything? I'm with Rich, I don't care that they changed the guitar, but it would have been nice to have a heads up.
post #30 of 133 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 04:47 PM

Frankly this upsets me. I was looking into picking up a new 7vwh in a few weeks with no hesitations, but now I think I will be looking for an '03. Rich do you have any '03's in stock?

Tags
alder bodies , alder body , buzz feiten , buzz feiten system , custom shop , darren wilson , ebony board , ebony boards , ebony finger board , ebony fret board , ebony fretboard , ebony fretboards , ebony neck , edge pros , edge trem , edge trems , feiten system , finger board , fire garden , floyd trem , fret board , fret size , fretboard wood , gibson les paul , gibson les paul custom , les paul , les paul custom , locking stud , locking studs , maple neck , maple necks , monkey grip , neck pup , paul reed , paul reed smith , pro edge , production model , reed smith , rosewood board , rosewood boards , rosewood fretboard , rosewood fretboards , rosewood neck , scalloped neck , steve vai , super strat , yngwie strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode