2004 JEM7VWH Spec change - Page 6 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 10:54 PM
UV

An ebony board costs about six bucks. I have a friend that builds boutique guitars and the cost difference is negligable. A dollar or 2 isn't going to make Ibanez rich. I for one like rosewood better. I doesn't seem as hard on your fingers like maple or ebony.

U
v
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-27-2004, 02:21 PM

A dollar or 2 times how many they build? It adds up.
post #78 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-29-2004, 02:19 AM

Someone earlier said that people have complained for years that the VWH wasn't the same as Vai's, but it still isn't.

I think the hardware is the thing that separates the factory models to evo more than the rosewood fretboard.

Steve still doesn't use the gold hardware on Evo and uses the old style bridge.

(but hey, i don't want to see that happen to the factory models hahaha - well maybe a few chips in the paint)
post #79 of 133 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 04:57 PM

I just bought a brand new one in april that i was sure was an '04, but it has an ebony fret board.....hmmmm
post #80 of 133 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 07:47 PM

what does the serial number start with? I.e. F**
post #81 of 133 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 08:53 PM

It would be better with Brazilian Rosewood
post #82 of 133 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 02:19 PM

Ebony is cool to me!!

I like the look of the vine on ebony.... hence my purchase of a used 7VWH rather than a new one (not to mention cheaper and broken in). Heck, if you want ebony, there are plenty of used Jems out there.
post #83 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 09:29 PM

Re: 2004 JEM7VWH Spec change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredlix
It would be better with Brazilian Rosewood
I agree, but that would be more expensive for Ibanez to make. Not cheaper like they want it, I think that's the real reason they changed the fretboards.
post #84 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 05:13 AM

Cool Re: 2004 JEM7VWH Spec change

I have the 7v with the ebony fretboard, always loved the feel of the ebony board, glad I scored one before the spec change. Rosewood is an excellent fretboard also, but the vine inlay sure shows up nice on the ebony. My777dy obviously feel's much differen't, maple and all, but the ebony takes the blue ribbon. Just my opinion. JCA
post #85 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 01:04 PM

ebony change can be a major tone change, feeling and dynamics. personally I love it. From my personal experience sustain is increase, presence (highs) are increased and mids are slightly flattened. I'd guess it depends on the guitar but it is a major change in tone, at least for me.
post #86 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 01:06 PM

oh oh but on a guitar with such hot pups, this wood change might make just a minute change if noticed at all. Regardless if feels completely diffferent
post #87 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 01:25 PM

Geez people, the 7VWH is Vai's sig guitar. Vai plays rosewood boards. The 7VWH should have a rosewood board.

People complain endlessly that the 7VWH should have a Sustainer, or Buzz Feiton, or whatever, because "Vai's guitar has it". They change the thing to be more like Vai's by putting rosewood on it and everyone complains. Pick one: Do you want it to be Vai's guitar or not?

There are 10 years of 7VWH guitars out there with ebony, buy one of those if you have to have it.
post #88 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro
Geez people, the 7VWH is Vai's sig guitar. Vai plays rosewood boards. The 7VWH should have a rosewood board.

People complain endlessly that the 7VWH should have a Sustainer, or Buzz Feiton, or whatever, because "Vai's guitar has it". They change the thing to be more like Vai's by putting rosewood on it and everyone complains. Pick one: Do you want it to be Vai's guitar or not?

There are 10 years of 7VWH guitars out there with ebony, buy one of those if you have to have it.
We have/will.

I think the complaint here is IMO Ibanez started with a new bridge that could've had locking studs but didn't (Thank God for Rich’s quick fix). Even if we amuse the "floyd patent running out and the lo-pro tooling nearing end of life cycle" they could've installed the locking studs which set this floating bridge apart with a form of tuning stability yet they didn't for the public. Then they abruptly changed the fretboard to rosewood w/o any news yet at the same time the rumor/news emerges about ebony wood. In addition many of us loved the look/feel of ebony on this white guitar (and it was really the only model available in the US with ebony).

The claim to the fretboard change is Vai has been using rosewood so they finally got around to changing it to match what the artist has been using however the artist (and other endorsees) still receives a lo-pro. Basically it seems they only want to match the artist to the artist's production model when it suits their bean counters.

Correct me if I'm wrong however the only big "high-end" guitar builders left widely offering ebony on a super strat is Jackson and Carvin (with some cuttings into to replace the pups I've read).

Though I admire Vai's talent and music I didn't buy a VWH to emulate him. I bought a VWH because I wanted a quality super strat with a great neck, a stable floyd trem, alder body, and ebony neck. (I have to admit though the vine is very cool.)

Last edited by jager; 01-16-2005 at 10:48 AM.
post #89 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 06:02 PM

I didn't buy a VWH to emulate Vai either. I really could care less what Vai has on his guitars. I am happy with my '03 with ebony, Vai is happy with his rosewood, and Ibanez is happy to skimp on thier products.
post #90 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 07:11 AM

I am happy that they have changed to rosewood, i like it bether!!!

Tags
alder bodies , alder body , buzz feiten , buzz feiten system , custom shop , darren wilson , ebony board , ebony boards , ebony finger board , ebony fret board , ebony fretboard , ebony fretboards , ebony neck , edge pros , edge trem , edge trems , feiten system , finger board , fire garden , floyd trem , fret board , fret size , fretboard wood , gibson les paul , gibson les paul custom , les paul , les paul custom , locking stud , locking studs , maple neck , maple necks , monkey grip , neck pup , paul reed , paul reed smith , pro edge , production model , reed smith , rosewood board , rosewood boards , rosewood fretboard , rosewood fretboards , rosewood neck , scalloped neck , steve vai , super strat , yngwie strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode