2004 JEM7VWH Spec change - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 133 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Vendor

2004 JEM7VWH Spec change

Well, after an early rumor of the change and much confusion due to the ibanez.com website specs on the VWH I can now confirm, the 04' VWH now has a ROSEWOOD fretboard. The one shown at NAMM was ebony so I never gave it a second though afterwards. It is a nice dark select rosewood but it is rosewood nonetheless.

Just an FYI

Last edited by jemsite; 12-30-2004 at 09:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 133 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 06:27 PM

interesting...
post #3 of 133 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 06:29 PM

Ah Ha! Must have recieved a batch of 04's Rich? The rosewood is not as dark as the ebony though. Do the vine inlays still jump out at you with the contrast as much as before? That is a significant change! Should change the tonality a bit as well.
post #4 of 133 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Vendor

I forgot to add that to my original post. They are 04's but by spec only. By serial number they're 03's, specifically in the 45k range.
post #5 of 133 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Vendor

Jeez, what a dumbsh!t. I posted this in the Classifieds, I know better but looking at a monitor from 6 feet isn't the most readable [in case you wonder why I typo so much!]

Somebody move this into Jem/UV and edit this post out so I don't look as stupid as I feel

EDIT: Thanks for editing out this post!!!
post #6 of 133 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 07:05 PM

we still love ya, big guy
post #7 of 133 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 10:40 PM

Hey Rich! Can ya take a nice detailed pic of the new rosewood neck on the 7vwh's for all of us to see? Thanks!

Kevin
post #8 of 133 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Vendor

Darren said it best

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren wilson
For what it's worth, Steve has been using rosewood fretboards on his VWH models for quite some time now, though the factory models still had ebony. Personally, i like the look and feel of ebony, but rosewood is also really nice.

Here's a whole bunch of GREAT pics of a VWH with a rosewood board:

http://vai.com/Machines/guitarpages/EVO/EVO_index.html

post #9 of 133 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 11:40 PM

I know it may be personal preference, but isn't Ebony considered a higher-quality wood than Rosewood?

EDIT: I'm also surprised that they didn't bring back the locking studs... o_O
I bet lots of people were looking forward to that.
post #10 of 133 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelyfinger
That is a significant change! Should change the tonality a bit as well.
Actually, it should probably sound exactly like a VSBL.
post #11 of 133 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 12:31 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager
I know it may be personal preference, but isn't Ebony considered a higher-quality wood than Rosewood?
No.
post #12 of 133 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager
EDIT: I'm also surprised that they didn't bring back the locking studs... o_O
I bet lots of people were looking forward to that.
They never had any intention on bringing them back, which is why I keep bringing it up.
post #13 of 133 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Vendor

I find it bizarre that it was a rumor, but then the NAMM model was normal spec which confirmed the rumor was just that, right? Surely nobody said anything about there being a change, and I was amped on stopanoseadrine, but I could swear I was talking to one of the reps and said "at least they didn't change the VWH to rosewood, I'm not sure that would have been wise" [or something to that effect] Then the .com site points the spec as rosewood which is assumed [yea, ass out of y..] it's just wrong like it's been 100 times before [because there was no announcement and the show model was ebony, right?], except guitars actually start coming in and shazamm they're rosewood. Called Hosh to say WTF?? and of course that was the first the support guys heard of it They're going to put up "New Spec Change" beside rosewood on the company VWH page so there's no doubt if the spec is right or not [and in my opinion there should have been a MUCH more visible announcement somewhere on the VWH page that it was getting a fretboard change, because that is a big change].

Just to kick the bizarre up a notch the VWH page on my site had mistakenly said rosewood since NAMM of LAST year and nobody noticed it until last month [I had copied the VSBL page over and spazzed on getting it right, and nobody noticed for a year]. I changed it to ebony a month ago when a customer was ordering a VWH [one of THESE VWH's] pointed it out to me and I told him it was a mistake. I changed it back to rosewood tonight with an announcment.
post #14 of 133 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 02:23 AM

Hello!

I ordered my 7VWH in Germany one month ago. Do I get the 03 or the 04 model?
Is Rosewood a worse wood than ebony? Does the Jem become now worse?
I am disconcerted a little.

Thank You!!
Loopy
post #15 of 133 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
Vendor

Have your dealer call the distributor, if it's not in stock it will be an 04'.

Hopefully everybody will stop and read bold.

Ebony, rosewood, maple, or whatever wood the fretboard is, none are BETTER than the other. They're just *different* from each other.

Ebony is more expensive but maple is cheap and many many prefer a maple board over any other. It's all ice cream, and the flavor this year is rosewood.

Tags
alder bodies , alder body , buzz feiten , buzz feiten system , custom shop , darren wilson , ebony board , ebony boards , ebony finger board , ebony fret board , ebony fretboard , ebony fretboards , ebony neck , edge pros , edge trem , edge trems , feiten system , finger board , fire garden , floyd trem , fret board , fret size , fretboard wood , gibson les paul , gibson les paul custom , les paul , les paul custom , locking stud , locking studs , maple neck , maple necks , monkey grip , neck pup , paul reed , paul reed smith , pro edge , production model , reed smith , rosewood board , rosewood boards , rosewood fretboard , rosewood fretboards , rosewood neck , scalloped neck , steve vai , super strat , yngwie strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode