2005 'Bad Horsie' and fixed-bridge model (confirmed by Vai) - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 211 (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 04:17 AM Thread Starter

2005 'Bad Horsie' and fixed-bridge model (confirmed by Vai)

Hi Jem fanatics,

Big news!

Australian Guitar (Next Media) will be publishing cover story/interview with Steve Vai in the upcoming weeks. At this stage two versions of the interview will appear: a 2500-word feature, and (potentially) a full 7000-word warts-and-all transcription loaded into a CD/DVD ROM 'tip-on' stuck to the cover. Inside both is some great news for Ibanez Jem fans: two upcoming models, and an insight into one of Steve's upcoming prototypes.

So here it is, straight from Steve Vai's mouth:

1) Bad Horsie Jem. Steve describes it as "a really cool guitar that's going to be available...it'll kick off at NAMM in LA in January...beautiful...black (with) a sort of mirror front to it". Dot/lit inlays? Factory detuned? Who knows. That's as much as he revealed. Ibanez seems to have cured the chrome/mirrored 'hazing' issue that prevented the same model from surfacing during the last winter NAMM. Looks to be a 2005 model, then.

...ok, are you sitting down?

2) FIXED BRIDGE JEM!!!!!
Steve: "We're working on a Jem that doesn't have a locking system..."
AG: "...A fixed-bridge Jem?!"
Steve: "Yeah, it'll be a fixed-bridge Jem."
Colour? Specs? Expected release? He didn't say. (As a personal note, I've been waiting a looong time for this model...)

3) Seven-string 'strat' custom one-off
Steve revealed that after his next release, he'll be digging back into seven-string territory for a "concept" he has, involving a "seven-string 'strat' that Ibanez is building for me right now". Steve didn't elaborate on the meaning of the term "strat" (I'm guessing a non-RG/Universe shaped seven-string) but he did affirm that it will NOT be a production model.

How do I know this information? During Steve's recent Aussie tour, I helped a collegue conduct the interview (my life changed at precisely 3.40pm on Thursday July 22nd when Steve Vai rang me in person to commence the interview! I'll never wash this ear, or my phone, again...) and subedited the 7000-word interview down to size for the main feature.

I understand this info might sound far-fetched coming from a Jemsite newbie, but these above claims will be published in hard ink in the next few weeks (in Oz only). If I can ease the concerns of AG editor Justin Law in regards to copyright, I'll try talking him into supplying an image or two from AG's exclusive cover shoot of Steve posing with a customised Aussie Flag RG as proof. (Sorry about the upload issues, Jemsite admin - I'm not good with PCs).

Alex J
Australian Guitar contributor (and Ibanez fanatic)

PS. After reading tons of great stuff on jemsite for a long time, it's only fair I share this cool scoop with you guys who will (hopefully) appreciate it and find it as exciting news as I do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 211 (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 05:26 AM

Thats freakin awesome news. I think I may have to buy one of those. Keep us posted on the realease of the interview, as I would love to have a read
post #3 of 211 (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 05:27 AM
dex

Great news.
If the fixed bridge jem is a string through proper fixed bridge (not FX Edge - I can get that by blocking my trem) I'll be getting one.
Keeping my fingers crossed it's like a jemified 621 but better.
If not, my next purchase will be a PGM301.

ilia
post #4 of 211 (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 05:30 AM

Please let there be a lefty, please let there be a lefty, please let there be a lefty, please let there be a lefty, please let there be a lefty, please let there be a lefty, please let there be a lefty, please let there be a lefty ......

Regards

André

post #5 of 211 (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 06:33 AM

Sweet. Too bad I won't be able to afford one.
post #6 of 211 (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 06:56 AM

Good to know but seems they aren't gonna be my cup of tea.

On the other hand.... Take the arm of your trem off and you've got a fix bridge.
post #7 of 211 (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufes
Good to know but seems they aren't gonna be my cup of tea.

On the other hand.... Take the arm of your trem off and you've got a fix bridge.
that is until you bend a string while another is still vibrating...
post #8 of 211 (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 07:13 AM

or you want to tune the damn thing...
post #9 of 211 (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 08:04 AM

god, i was always in love with bad horsies but, dammit how the hell am i going to afford it???
post #10 of 211 (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 10:03 AM
RCB

Would the release both of them at the same time?

Would they both be MIJ models?

I dont think Im buying none of them new (ibanez prices are hardly affordable to buy them new). Instead, I m going to wait for a used one to come across.

Im not getting the fixed bridge one unless its a neckthrough. But I will get the mirrored jem sooner or later
post #11 of 211 (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 10:17 AM

This could be good news for the Jem/Universe line. It certainly needs a kick in the ass to get going again. However I cringe that the prices will be rediculous. Hope this thing isn't another glorified DBK.

~A
post #12 of 211 (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 11:58 AM
dex

Seeing as it will replace the DBK - I'm sure that apart from the paint job (midnight custard vs reflective surface) and probably the pickups this WILL be the DBK.
Basswood body, wizard neck with dots, chrome hardware..........

ilia
post #13 of 211 (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 12:22 PM

These are nice changes but the 'chrome' JEM was expected to be out already based on a past interview if I'm not mistaken. Ibanez has to have all their "ducks in a row" if these are going to be unveiled at the time Vai expects them to be.

My guess is that these won't be additions to the line. I bet the fixed-bridge will replace the DBK but will be marked at the same pricepoint though. I wouldn't be surprised if the 'chrome' JEM would replace the VSBL and marked up.

Personally, I would like to see these as two new additions to the JEM line. It'll add a little more excitement and for dealers that are willing to stock or display a range of these higher-end Ibanez models, it'll make for a more attention grabbing display. It would also give Ibanez more to work with in their catalog layout for the Vai models. This might be somewhat practical for a year or two - especially if there would happen to be (dare I say) overstock, but I doubt that'll be the case.

I can't afford 'em at this time but I'm still looking forward to their intro.

Mike 777 Haug
post #14 of 211 (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 02:47 PM
RCB

Quote:
My guess is that these won't be additions to the line. I bet the fixed-bridge will replace the DBK but will be marked at the same pricepoint though. I wouldn't be surprised if the 'chrome' JEM would replace the VSBL and marked up.
Unlikely IMHO. The entry level jem needs to be a double locker. A lot of people suggested that the chrome/mirrored jem would be the new entry level jem. I m not sure about this either. I guess we eill have to wait and see.

I really wish that the mirrored/chromed jem is backrouted with a clear pickguard over the mirrored finish. The can use a mirrored pickguard, but it will loo cheaper.
post #15 of 211 (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Garrow
This could be good news for the Jem/Universe line. It certainly needs a kick in the ass to get going again. However I cringe that the prices will be rediculous. Hope this thing isn't another glorified DBK.

~A

Tags
ace frehley , basswood body , black headstock , black pickguard , chrome hardware , chrome jem , chrome vine , custom guitar , darren wilson , dimarzio humbuckers , dna swirl , dot inlay , dot inlays , ebony board , ebony fingerboard , ebony fretboard , edge bridge , edge pro bridge , edge pros , equipped guitar , finger board , fingerboard wood , fixed bridge , fixed bridge model , fret board , fret markers , guitar mag , hardtail jem , horsie jem , ibanez dealer , ibanez guitars , ibanez jem , ibanez models , les paul , locking stud , locking studs , locking trems , maple neck , mirrored pickguard , monkey grip , neck joint , neck thru , paul gilbert , phil collen , pro edge , production model , pyramid inlay , rosewood fretboard , scarf joint , signature guitar , steve vai , trem arm , triple neck , trs bridge , upper fret , upper frets , vwh jem , wah pedal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode