2007 Black Jem 555 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

2Likes
  • 2 Post By sepulchrave

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

2007 Black Jem 555

So I just got traded a 2007 black 555, it's clean and straight but has been raped and pillaged of its Dimarzios and hardware, it's all brand new Jem Jr junk as far as I can tell, the excrescent trem is a particular lowlight, however it was very cheap and a quick raid of my parts bins should get it up and running better than new.

I have a full set of gold hardware from a 90's Lo-Pro Jem to chuck on it and a set of SD's should set the tone free, my question is about the original black pearl pickguard, it's starting to delaminate around most of the screw holes and I'd like to replace it, is it a special pattern or will a standard Jap RG pattern pickguard fit snugly, I don't have one to try and I hate the black pearl anyway so maybe someone here will know?

No pics for now since it's reduced to a pile of bits for the rebuild, but I'll throw it up once it's done, the neck is surprisingly chunky, it feels more like a Jackson than an Ibanez to play, like it wants hybrid 10's and drop C# if you know what I mean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Re: 2007 Black Jem 555

So here we are, as promised, fully rebuilt with gold hardware, the only bug is the 43mm locking nut in a 42mm recess, I redrilled the post anchors to take the original locking Edge posts and corrected some misalignment, one hole was 1mm too far forward, the other was 1mm too far back, they're spot on now. Intonation almost dropped straight in.
A 0.030" neck shim was needed to get the action right and the Lo-pro sits nice and deep filling the huge rout perfectly. Due to the pickguard being unique and not feeling like custom cutting one I simply warmed the pearlescent film with a hairdryer and peeled it off to leave the pristine satin black 3-ply substrate which looks so much better.
I rewired it because the soldering was so poor, the Quantum pickups measured 12k, 6k and 11k respectively and sound pretty hi-fi clean, much better than I expected. They sound very reminiscent of the IBZ USA Dimarzio pickups in my 540R and really spanky in the 2 and 4 positions.

Unfortunately I hate the neck profile so it's gotta go.

Hey ho, that's the way it goes, still I did just pick up a Kramer Baretta Infinity Sustainer in perfect working order with a broken neck so that's getting a Jackson Japan DKMG neck which looks like it'll fit like a glove.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0307.jpg (677.4 KB, 26 views)
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 03:17 AM

Reviews: 3
Re: 2007 Black Jem 555

Love the gold on black! The Black Panther Jem.

Tags
2007 , cort , ibanez , jem 555 , korea

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode