28 years of longing...I got my FP! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

28 years of longing...I got my FP!

Salutations all,

This is my first post here, so this is sort of an introduction/NGD post.

Waaaaay back in 1990, I walked with my buddy to a local guitar shop for his weekly lesson. I spent the first 15 minutes walking up and down the two aisles (it was a small store), looking at the guitars they had in stock. I had only been playing about 3 months at the time so I knew very little about the stuff I was looking at. I did recognize the red Stratocaster from the cover of Jimi Plays Monterrey, and that was cool.

Then I saw the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. I'm not talking just guitars here. I mean this was THE most gorgeous, captivating object I had ever seen. it was behind the counter and tucked away in the corner just barely visible. The next 45 minutes was spent staring at this incredible machine. I remember asking the store owner "What is THAT?!". He clearly understood because instead of saying anything, he handed it to me with a huge grin on his face. After handling it for a few minutes, he finally said "That, my friend, is a Jem".

Thus ensued a decades long love affair with Jems, specifically the FP. I got older, went to work in a profession that absolutely devours your free time, and I played less and less. But I never lost my love for the FP.

Eventually, I promoted to a point that I actually have free time, and found myself picking up my guitars more and more until I finally realized I had the means to start seriously looking for my FP. A month or so of constant searching and a few dead ends had me somewhat disheartened. Then a few nights ago, I decided to take one last look on a popular site for guitar sales and there it was. MY Jem FP. I have never typed so fast in my life!

What I found was an 89' with one of the most incredible pattern combinations I've ever seen. We all know what I mean. The front on some is perfect but the head stock is a little weak. Or the back is awesome and the front looks like @ss. Not this one. Certainly it's a matter of personal preference, but this one just jumped out at me.

Apparently it only had two owners. The guy who bought it and the guy who sold it to me. It was found by owner #2 with black Duncans in it. He swapped them out for pink Evos (fine with me as I prefer them to PAF Pros by a wide margin). Everything else is dead stock and in superb condition.

I sincerely hope everyone who really appreciates these instruments gets to call one their one one day. I can assure you that it's worth the wait.

Even if that wait is 28 years long.

~ Matt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8641.jpg (158.1 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8642.jpg (170.2 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8645.jpg (152.1 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8643.jpg (144.1 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8644.jpg (181.1 KB, 86 views)
jemsite, nienturi, jono and 5 others like this.

Last edited by Driver; 06-08-2018 at 12:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 01:26 PM

Re: 28 years of longing...I got my FP!

Wow! Nice example with no yellowing on the clearcoat! That pattern is the most nice of all to my eyes (and I think the second commonest). Last week I was playing with one exactly like yours but beated up to hell, nut crack and severe clearcoat tarnishing... (they were asking around 2500$), so I didn’t pull the trigger. Enjoy it, I’m still searching for mine.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 02:45 PM

Congrats on your wait being over, love her and play her well my friend!!
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 02:53 PM

Sweet floral, congrats!
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 03:32 PM

Damn, that is MINTY Congrats, enjoy her!
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 07:57 PM

Reviews: 21

NICE! Enjoy!
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 06:00 AM

WOW ! It looks like you travelled 28 years in the past and come back with it ! Big congrats
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 01:21 PM

Happy NGD! Enjoy it!!
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 05:29 AM

Wow, looks super nice. Where did you find it finally? Reverb?
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 07:53 AM

Congrats! I had a similar experience to you back in 1990 but thankfully it didn't take me 28 years to get an FP! I love my FP, easily one of my favorite guitars.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 01:11 PM

This was one of my FP’s that I sold. I’m stoked that you liked it. It couldn’t have gone to a better home.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 05:04 PM

Congrats man, nice and clean. One of my favorite Jems.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone!

My rig is almost complete. I just picked up a Mesa Road King II head and got a matching RK cab from Sweetwater. That amp and the Jem were made for one another.

Unfortunately, I thought once I had my Jem I'd feel complete but naaaaah. Now I'm starting my search for a nice Swirl. Might take a year or two but I'll get one...

Funny thing too - the guy I got the FP from did a PHENOMENAL set up prior to shipping. He hit me up and told me that this particular FP just seems to prefer .009-.042. I'm accustomed to using 10s on all of my floating trems but he was so right about this one. 9s feel good and balance out really well with the Evos and that trem. I'm used to guitars being okay with one or the other and have never really owned one that was so perfect with one gauge that I'd not consider switching to another. Tony, if you see this, you nailed it on this one, brother. I wont ever be able to thank you enough for the TLC you gave my Jem. I swear to God almighty your extra effort in the set up helped turn my dream into a reality. I've never picked up a guitar that almost played itself.

Last edited by Driver; 06-23-2018 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Fat fingered some poor spelling.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 01:30 PM

Mine will be here today.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Heck yeah!! It's a great feeling, eh? Lord knows I've never looked up a tracking number so many times in one 24 hour period

I want to see it when you get it!!

Tags
ngd/jem 77 fp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode