30th Anniversary Jems effect on Value of Originals - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

30th Anniversary Jems effect on Value of Originals

With the three neons now being available (albeit in a supposed limited quantity), does the majority here think they will have any effect on the value of the original issues either negative or positive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 02:08 AM

Re: 30th Anniversary Jems effect on Value of Originals

I dont`t think so.
The original 59-61 Gibson Les Pauls and the pre-cbs-Fender Strats didn`t get cheaper, when the custom shops from Gibson (inkluding CCs) and Fender copied the originals,

Same with the old Ibanez JEM 77 FP, when the new 77 FP2 came, with the Universe swirl etc.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 07:52 AM

I would suggest that it would have a negative impact on player condition originals. Right now I think that the price is inflated on some pretty poor condition guitars due to scarcity. It's likely that very mint originals will continue to be worth more.
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 12:42 PM

As of right now it might have an impact, but once the newness of the reissues passes, then the value of the originals may return.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 06:34 PM

I think it will have an impact on the originals as it did (for example) on the Charvel's EVH striped guitars. Not going for anywhere what they were new and limited $2650 when you can buy an EVH series guitar for $899. Same/ original Neon green Jem for $7000 grand or a new one for $3500?? you choose.........just my .02c
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkS View Post
I dont`t think so.
The original 59-61 Gibson Les Pauls and the pre-cbs-Fender Strats didn`t get cheaper, when the custom shops from Gibson (inkluding CCs) and Fender copied the originals,

Same with the old Ibanez JEM 77 FP, when the new 77 FP2 came, with the Universe swirl etc.
You can get a nice 77FP for $2000 or a new FP2 for $3500 (witch aren't really flying of the shelves) and you can't compare 59 Les Pauls to Ibanez Jems..........

Last edited by bob mclaughlin; 01-17-2017 at 06:43 PM.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 08:30 PM

When I saw the pricing for the 30th anniversary models I immediately thought that it would affect the pricing on the originals. I have wanted one of those classics for years (Lochness Green) and literally get sick when I see the prices they go for (Mainly because I had an opportunity to score one back in 88-89 and could not part with $750, at the time, for a gently used one). $3500 is steep but I will try to find the cash to pick one up, if possible, before they are all gone.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob mclaughlin View Post
I think it will have an impact on the originals as it did (for example) on the Charvel's EVH striped guitars. Not going for anywhere what they were new and limited $2650 when you can buy an EVH series guitar for $899. Same/ original Neon green Jem for $7000 grand or a new one for $3500?? you choose.........just my .02c
Charvel is another example:
The REAL Charvels stripes originals were made about 1980-81, they are about 5000 $ and more. When Charvel sold a limited edition reissue the prices of the real originals didn`t change. Than EVH sold stripes guitars, but you can`t compare them to charvels, it`s really another quality.

I think, that the prices for original LNGs won`t get cheaper, they are and stay extremly rare. If I had the choice to pay 3500 $ for a old LNG player condition or a new Anniversary I`d allways take the old one.
The price level for original SK and DY depends in first line on the condition, especially the colour (faded?) and the neck (got dark?). The influence of the Anniversarys might be a little more on the DYs and SKs, but I don`t expect big changes.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 02:41 AM

Lookin at allmost identical looking Strats in a vintage guitar shop in Paris, I would estimate a value dip on the originals as highly temporary situation.

Back to the French guitarshop; walls of sunburst Strats with white pickguards and tree white single coil pickups. Some costing $2000, some costing $15000. And owner bragging about much more expensive ones in a safe in the back.

The Strats did not achieve their fame by sitting unplayed in cases or existinga as conversational items in man caves. So getting new ones out in the market increases the chance that some of these guitars make to stages, photos and album covers.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 10:06 AM

Reviews: 3

The price of the old ones will maintain high or increase because of the "this is the real deal, not the reisdue " effect. Even more if the neck and the pick-ups are different. The PGM reissue, the UV77MC and the Timmons ibbys sufferred from that effect.

Last edited by vy100; 01-18-2017 at 01:24 PM.
vy100 is online  
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 10:48 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Over time the originals will fetch more, dependent on condition. That is really not subject for debate.*Originals are originals and can't be remade 10 or 20 or 50 years later.

short term though old beater 777s will suffer... who would pay $3500 for a beater LNG from 1987 with unknown # prior owners vs a brand new slightly-improved LNG (no scarf, multi-pc neck,*moved*knobs)?
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 10:49 AM

In my case I bought the LNG reissue because I'm not a "vintage" guy - meaning I've already been burned on at least 1 vintage guitar acquisition and I have no desire to get hit again. I don't know the market well enough and I don't know the product well enough to tell a good deal from a bad one and a real item from a very good counterfeit.

Buying a new LNG was a no-brainer for me. It was a guitar I wanted for a long time so I grabbed it.

Same thing with vintage Charvels and Jacksons - I don't have the do the homework on a vintage guitar. I'll take a new one.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 01:31 PM
HDS

Glad I sold off my Neons when I did. Not that there was anything bad about them. The neck profile didnt work with my hands. But anywho, I would take a new one over an old one for two factors. You wont feel bad about playing it, plus the new tech that has been added.

*fades back into the darkness*
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 02:27 PM
Vendor

Over time, it's been proven reissues have fared better than originals. PG20ths sell far higher than PGM100's, JEM77FP15ths will sell higher than any vintage FP in like condition and on par with 88' models. UV77RE's, one sold in Europe for $11,000 a couple years ago. Any original ATD come close to that? [rhetorical question...].

The SK is a much more modern SK than the original [if they keep the color the same, they were talking about changing it], the DY is very close and will not brown over years like the originals, and the LG [don't know why they called it that] I held up to #1 in the Bensalem collection, and #1 is a hair lighter and a few shades more amber, because the clear has yellowed, something modern paints don't do. The specs are modern and they will be better guitars, especially considering what old guitars have, lots of old guitar problems. The 30ths are also going to be FAR rarer and that rarity will have a greater impact than the rest.

Yes, there will be an affect of the value of the originals, no matter how much sellers make claims of "mojo".
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
LG [don't know why they called it that]
If you're referring to LG vs. LNG, I never knew when the LNG abbreviation took over, but even in 87 the green JEM was designated 777LG. DSY never really caught on for DY

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode