Ibanez JEM Forum banner

540R HH - so much better than the JS series !

22K views 45 replies 26 participants last post by  AttillaDeHunt 
#1 ·
I've owned seven JS series guitars over the last 10 years, a BTB, a WH, two BP's and two JS1200's, and always loved them.

However, I just recently picked up a 1989 540R HH and this guitar just blows them all away in terms of feel and playability !

I have fitted a Fred & a PAF Pro, but apart from that it's all original

Even better, the price I paid was a third of a new JS

If I see another, I will snap it up straight away, and I suggest you do the same!

They seem to be quite rare these days, although I think it's probably due to fact that people just don't want to let them go !!

See less See more
#3 ·
congrats, although it's of course a matter of opinion. if you like the wizard neck profile, then i'm sure you will of course prefer the r series. if you like the js neck profile (like i do), then you will no doubt prefer js guitars. the way i see it, there are a bazillion guitars in ibanez's history that have the wizard neck profile. a much smaller percentage of those have the js neck, so imo, i'm glad there's an option for that neck out there.

#4 ·
this guitar just blows them all away in terms of feel and playability !
Rich would disagree. But there are lots of us who love them both. We just hammered this topic out in another recent thread. It ended in a group hug.

If you like the wizard neck profile, then i'm sure you will of course prefer the r series.
Actually, except for most of the 540R LTDs they have Ultra necks which are a nice in-between compromise. I love Ultras. I'm less fond of Wizards.

#7 ·
Rich would disagree. But there are lots of us who love them both. We just hammered this topic out in another recent thread. It ended in a group hug.

Actually, except for most of the 540R LTDs they have Ultra necks which are a nice in-between compromise. I love Ultras. I'm less fond of Wizards.
It is of course all about personal preference, and with this guitar I have found perfection for me !
I do love the JS neck, but prefer this one.
There's no right or wrong, just what's right for you !

I am smiling from ear to ear today, as I just got my front row ticket for Satch at London Hammersmith Apollo in October, and I bought the meet & greet package too ... can't wait !!

I know Joe used to play the 540 before it became his slightly different signature series, so when I see him, I'll ask his opinion on the guitar, and post his reply !! Happy days !!

I might even take it and have him sign it !!!

#17 ·
1989 540R HH - project complete

After hours of careful and relentless paint stripper and sanding, it's complete !
Mahogany wood stain, Dimarzio Fred and PAF Pro, replacement gold & black decal and nicely signed by Joe on the trem cover ......... LOVELY !!!!!

#19 ·
Thanks dude, I love it !
I always liked the look of the JS6 in mahogany, but it was a fixed bridge model, so not a guitar I would play !
I saw a pic of Joe with a mahogany JS with the edge trem, but inevitably it wasn't a production model !
So I thought I'd have a go at making my own, and fortunately got good results!

If you're going to strip your 540, be prepared !!
I was just doing 1 to 2 hours every weekend, and it took the best part of 8 weeks !
I had to sand back the lacquer (quite vigorously with an electric sander) before I got to the first layer of paint.
Then I used paint stripper, but there was the main colour, a silver primer and then another layer of something (clear coat) on the wood, most of which I did by hand .... hard graft, but pleased I put the hours in.

#20 ·
sifever, did you use one of those "Stain/sealer" all in one gigs? It appears your body is just stained on the photos. IF that is the case, you need to put some polyurethane or something over it. Otherwise, disregard!

I love it man. Remember gentlemen, the infamous "Black Dog" is NOT a JS guitar lol.

#22 ·
I'd put some super gloss poly finish on it but I think it looks good the way it is. I agree with penguin though. You might have to put a finish/sealer on that thing, otherwise you'll be rubbing off the finish.

Nice Job!

Jimmy:smile:

P.S.: I totally dig the decal! Looks as if it came from the factory. Where did you get it from?

#24 ·
Thanks for all the good comments guys !

In response:

I'm going to leave the finish like it is, it doesn't need a coat of anything, I love it like it is!
I put a thin coat of varnish on the headstock, just to protect the logo as the gold 'Ibanez' text is mirror finish.
I used a wood stain (deep mahogany) from www.colronrefined.co.uk and it soaks into the bare wood.
Needless to say, there's no going back now unless it's re-sprayed with paint or I sand half the body away!

The decal came from that (in)famous auction site.
The seller is called vinyl-decals-direct-online
He has just about everything you'd need, and he custom creates too, so you could have the logo/text in any combination of colours/finishes

#28 ·
Good point, I really don't want a cracked guitar, and seeing as the body is three piece the last thing I want is it to go down one of the joins .... disaster !
The company that made the mahogany stain I used also produce a hardwood oil, so I think next time I change the strings I'll pull it all apart quickly and give it a few coats.
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.