540R HH - so much better than the JS series ! - Page 3 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Re: 540R HH - so much better than the JS series !

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
No worries dude. Its not going to crack over night unless you stick it under a water faucet. Id be more worried about it getting dirty then cracked up at the moment (bare wood absorbs EVERYTHING).

You REALLY want a good linseed or tung oil if you are going to use oil. BUT those get shiny finishes. For your guitar, Id suggest a good, flat/matte/satin finish polyurethane coat. Any brand will do.
Guitar is finished completely now.
It has two coats of danish oil which have hardened to a lovely matt finish.
(in response to jl2556 comment, I tried pushing my fingernail into the back of the guitar and it doesn't leave a dent, it has a pretty hard surface ... any guitar will get a dent if you hit it hard enough anyway!)
It has made it a slightly darker colour, but has brought out the grain a little more so I'm very happy.
I've also replaced the volume and tone knobs with Ibanez parts similar to the JS6

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 11:38 AM

That looks nice! The S/R/JS and similar models look great in natural finishes, whereas I prefer neon on everything RG.
post #33 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 08:14 PM

Looks incredible!!
post #34 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Congrats on the new score. Old guitars can have a magic playability about them that really sets them apart.
I think its like most all things, for some reason there was Pride, Care, And True Concern that a quality product is being produced back then, not so much any more.
post #35 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

this is coming up for sale !!
post #36 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 11:00 PM

Reviews: 3

Amazing job!
post #37 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 10:57 AM

Reviews: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifever View Post
this is coming up for sale !!
How much???
post #38 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 06:23 AM

There's a good 50% increase in quality over the 1200 and the 2400... I own both... the 1200 is the Surfing with the Alien anniversary guitar, and so perhaps that one is not exactly the same as a stock 1200. I'm simply stating this as a 'you get what you pay for' statement. The finest guitars I've ever played has always been hand-crafted and made by a luthier, rather than mass produced. There's something far more natural feeling and organic about custom guitars.
post #39 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 03:29 PM

I'm sorry for practicing the dark art of thread necromancy. But this is one of the only Radius vs JS threads I could find.

I am strongly considering selling my Js1200 for a Radius. I looove the JS body, but the neck just isnt my style. I'ts not like I hate the js neck or find it uncomfortable, but I do prefer the wizard neck on my old s540's.

I know the Radius'es don't have wizard necks. But they are supposedly still thinner than JS necks, so maybe I will like them more?
Unfortunately I havent been able to locate a single Radius in Denmark. So I can't try one out for myself.

Whats everyones opinion on getting a Radius instead of a Js1200 in 2020? Should I go for it? I can almost buy two Radiuses for what the selling price of rhe JS 🙂
post #40 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-14-2020, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssk0909 View Post
I'm sorry for practicing the dark art of thread necromancy. But this is one of the only Radius vs JS threads I could find.

I am strongly considering selling my Js1200 for a Radius. I looove the JS body, but the neck just isnt my style. I'ts not like I hate the js neck or find it uncomfortable, but I do prefer the wizard neck on my old s540's.

I know the Radius'es don't have wizard necks. But they are supposedly still thinner than JS necks, so maybe I will like them more?
Unfortunately I havent been able to locate a single Radius in Denmark. So I can't try one out for myself.

Whats everyones opinion on getting a Radius instead of a Js1200 in 2020? Should I go for it? I can almost buy two Radiuses for what the selling price of rhe JS 🙂
The 88 540R that I have surprisingly has a beefy neck .... my 91 has a standard early 90's neck which is quite thin. I think that any Ibanez neck is better than the JS neck lol
post #41 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-14-2020, 01:27 PM

I want to know how the sound changed on that guitar: Painted vs wood vs oil-sealed, because I know there had to be differences. Did it change the way that it vibrates in your hands, or maybe it began to kinda tone-chime from the body more than when painted, (if that makes sense?) or sound very different without it plugged in?? I am curious to know as I have been comparing models that come both ways-Natch/Oiled and Painted, and have seen a big diff. What have you noticed about it?
post #42 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoplite22 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssk0909 View Post

The 88 540R that I have surprisingly has a beefy neck .... my 91 has a standard early 90's neck which is quite thin. I think that any Ibanez neck is better than the JS neck lol
If you want a radius with a wizard neck, try finding a 540r LTD. They switched to the AANJ neck joint and a wizard neck. They are somewhere in the early 90's in age.

Also... These JS guitars and early 540's have a fender style neck pocket. You could just get a neck made from warmoth or best guitar parts. The attached picture is my refinished 540R with a custom made neck. It has a 10 to 12 compound radius, and a D shaped to U shaped neck. Doing this could be a cheaper option... I also have a custom neck for a js100 that has a straight 12" radius and stainless frets. Stainless is amazing! I wish I would have done that with my 540's neck. Warmoth now makes necks with a wizard profile.

Also I noticed people are mentioning that he has to seal the wood after removing the paint. If he sanded it down and didn't use a chemical stripper, I don't believe he needed to do anything. From what I understand the bodies are sealed before painting to prevent the wood grain from being visible after the paint cures. That sealer would still be there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200521_161843_1593866516467.jpg (5.65 MB, 20 views)
post #43 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AttillaDeHunt View Post
I want to know how the sound changed on that guitar: Painted vs wood vs oil-sealed, because I know there had to be differences. Did it change the way that it vibrates in your hands, or maybe it began to kinda tone-chime from the body more than when painted, (if that makes sense?) or sound very different without it plugged in?? I am curious to know as I have been comparing models that come both ways-Natch/Oiled and Painted, and have seen a big diff. What have you noticed about it?
80 percent of sound is from the pickup.
Any change in the guitars overall sound based off the finish is pretty much negligible.

It may or may not improve sustain, but no one ever really agrees on anything related to sounds these days.
post #44 of 45 (permalink) Old Today, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyV View Post
80 percent of sound is from the pickup. Any change in the guitars overall sound based off the finish is pretty much negligible. It may or may not improve sustain, but no one ever really agrees on anything related to sounds these days.
Yes, I know that is the popular consensus, and what I maybe should have asked about, or the word I should have used in place of "sound", is "FEEL". If you read "feel' where I wrote "sound", the rest of this makes more sense, I think.
It just seems to me that guitars with "less" finish tend to be more interactive from an overall sensory view, amplified or not. I have a few axes that I can compare such things with, that are the same models but differing finishes, RG321/421 models and SZ models with both natural mahogany and full gloss finishes. The natural, oil-finished wood models, throw more vibes; they just seem to "feel" more or communicate with me more, IMHO. I am having a tough time getting this into words, but maybe it makes sense to some of you anyway.
What I really hoped to get was first-hand opinion from someone who had one type finish on their axe and changed it into the other, and I knew that hoping the OP would actually answer that after almost 10 years was asking a bit much, but ya never know.
I may have to introduce this as a new thread question and get some of the DIY/Re-fin aficionadi to get into the convo, as well. But first, I guess I should figure out how to convey my thoughts in words that make sense.
post #45 of 45 (permalink) Old Today, 02:52 AM

I get you.

I've personally not had much experience with it myself, however when Ive looked I to getting an old 550 repainted, I was told the guitar would loose Alot of it's characteristics.

I suppose in a sense people were saying that it would infact change the tone/feel of the guitar as a whole.

Others countered by saying it would do nothing and that people who said it would were just glorifying the "mojo" or the golden age to it just being worn in and comfortable.

Tags
ibanez 540r , js signature , satriani

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode