7 77 777 ? about to go for a JEM - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
7 77 777 ? about to go for a JEM

I'm about to step in the JEM galaxy since I sold my JS1000 because I couldn't get used to the neck/fretboard shape/radius. Kept taking my RG570 and RGR570 of te wall. So a JEM would be more of an upgrade in the department I'm used to.

Now, I wasn't able to find the story behind the 7's. Does it describe a difference in quality or anything else ? I'm looking at a 7DBK since it is simply more affordable and seems to have top qualities. It resembles a lot more to a 77BRMR than a 7VWH... but the 7's, waht is with the 7777777 ?

Thx
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 07:38 PM

Reviews: 6
Re: 7 77 777 ? about to go for a JEM

From Steve days where he was into numerology. The number 7 is steeped in mystical power and the more of them there are the more important it is. For example 777 is the number for heavenly completion.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 08:10 PM

7DBK and BRMR seem to be the same instrument, just that one is shinier (and a LOT more expensive) than the other!
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 05:21 AM Thread Starter

aha, but his main work horse is his EVO, being a "single 7" VWH. So it's just a naming-thingie really ?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 06:30 AM

theres loadsa jem info on the front page, regarding model number application. :-)
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 07:21 AM

If I remember correctly it is do with front or back routes, but there are a few exceptions to the rule

You can't do wrong with a DBK - I used to have one, great guitar.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McCarroll View Post
7DBK and BRMR seem to be the same instrument, just that one is shinier (and a LOT more expensive) than the other!

Oh buoy.......here we go again

It's not the same guitar -
The neck specs are different!
The Mirror top produces a brighter tone than the lumpy DBK finish!

But yeah....it IS shinier and A LOT more expensive
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 12:56 PM

Haha, good one Jim. But yeah, the amount of 7's used to be significant, the more 7's the better it was, think LNG, SK, DY, they were the top of the line when they came out and the Root Beer was the cheaper not as flashy version. But over time I think they just started applying it in random ways. For example, the GMC and PMC only have two 7's, but were more expensive, the VWH only has one 7, they kind of dropped any logic behind them. Pick the one that you like the most, they all play fantastically and sound great. There are some major differences in pickups, wood, etc, but I don't think the number of 7's will help you in deciphering it.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 12:59 PM

Also - if you want a 777, you'll have to go used
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 01:26 PM

I do remember the routing being a big part of it, but I can't find the info on the main page easily. the 7 line was the "cheap" line for a little while, but that went away with the 7vwh, the 77's had the flashiness of being swirled or floral... overall, I don't think it really matters anymore. The 7dbk is considered sub-par by some people, but others think it's the best one out there.

If I were in the market for a new Jem (wish I had the funds to be... ) I would consider the wood and pickup combination first instead of the model number. Alder vs Basswood, Breed vs Evo, etc. Third, consider the feel of the instrument if you can get your hands on one. I used to have a floral and it felt totally different from my vwh, which feels very different to me from the brmr. Not that any one is preferable, they're just all different so you might like one more than another. I wish I could say I've tried all of them, but I haven't, so I can only compare these three. The floral was the beefiest feeling, the vwh has the thinnest feeling neck to me, and the brmr is somewhere between the two. I tried the dbk once at the store and it felt paper-thin between the fingers and thumb of the left hand, some people love that.

Hope that helps in some way - now back to "work". By work I mean reading posts and pretending to be busy until somebody causes a problem.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlp777 View Post
. The floral was the beefiest feeling, the vwh has the thinnest feeling neck to me, and the brmr is somewhere between the two. .
Actually, the Brmr neck is thinner than the Vwh, but not as thin as the DBK. I agree that the Floral is the beefiest
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 03:20 PM

Heres a section from this web site from the FAQ section,it should clear things up.

How are the JEM/UV models named. What is the "777" designation?

It is a shame that Ibanez didn't think this through better... as Ibanez let the naming get quite scattered. Except for the "77" models there can be little sense made of it.

Here's my interpretation:

777 - original JEM line series. "777" name was a no-brainer. Three models & Vai's favorite number... 777. Thought to be "maple fretboard" only but this is incorrect - now even with the new UV777BK. There is no current JEM777 so it will be interesting to see if Ibanez creates one.

77 - JEM & UV: Rear routed bodies w/ clear pickguard ala Florals & multicolors. Hopefully Ibanez won't screw this up with a front-routed 77 one day. IMHO the BSB could have been a cool rear routed 77 with clear pickguard :-)

7 - originally the "affordable" JEMs (7RB, 7PBK were lower priced than the 777 and 77FP). Now they're the high end -> 7VWH, 7VSBL & low end 7DBK.

Hindsight is always 20:20 but it would have been nice to keep 777's pyramid inlays only, 77's rear routed only and 7's vine or other inlays with front routed bodies.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

ah thx for this info, must have looked over it as I always start hitting links when I see the home page

nonono Jim, no picture of you hot vine modded mirror JEM in this thread :P hehe.

Anyways, my RGR570 has a Superwizard, and the dbk seems to have a unique shape for a JEM that compares to a Superwizard, I really love that neck, it's pretty thin, but more D-shaped compared to the thin-neck ( shape my first JEM777VDY and S540 had (both a long time ago). Going to check it out this weekend, I'm really curious to feed it's breeds to my Legacy.

Tags
david mccarroll , maple fret , maple fretboard , pickup combination , pyramid inlay , pyramid inlays

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode