7 Sting Thing - Buying first 7 string - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2001, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

7 Sting Thing - Buying first 7 string

First off hello all -- first post -

I have been playing guitar(6 string) for years. I want to try out playing a seven string. From nosing around this site there seems to many 7 string players present. I would just like suggestions on purchasing my first 7 string. My band 'Liquid Eco' does get mellow at times so I need a 7 string that is sonically diverse. Ive read the hits/missis section and am leaning twards the UV777bk. I just need to know if it cleans up well and plays nice with others. Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Thanks,
Dale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2001, 12:16 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
7 Sting Thing

welcome to the forum Dale. First i would set a price-range. That really can limit and narrow down choices. Next up do you want an Ibanez 7? Personally those are the only 7s i'd bother with except maybe a fixed-bridge carvin.

The UV777BK is just amazing, but has the Vai-isms that some don't like. The new Prestige XLs offerings are something to consider and of course the defunct 2027 w/piezo from last year... they are all in that price range.

If your budget is lower, then options are more limited but still workable, new or used. You can see info on all models in the SPEC SHEET in the Jemsite/Guitars area. Good luck... glen
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2001, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

7 Sting Thing

yeah im definately going Ibanez - I was a young teenager during the Vai/Hair/Shread days and I enjoy playing that way though I like to think I put some feeling in there too. And as for price Ive paid some high prices for other guitars and will do so again if and only if the quality is there. Thanks for the quick respnse

Dale
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2001, 12:25 PM

7 Sting Thing

Hi Dale,

To my ears, all the UV models clean up real nice. The many different pickup arrangements available on the toggle give quite a diverse option of tones.

As Glen mentioned, the Piezos in the Double-Edge trem on the 2027 are also an option. That will give you the option of a very realistic acoustic sound.

To save a buck, I would recommend buying a used UV. Even the UV777PBK is affordable used.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2001, 12:28 PM
Vendor

7 Sting Thing

For the most diversity and a silky feel the 2027 will do it, but the stock p/u's aren't as 'good' as stock UV p/u's. I do find the board plays a little silkier though.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2001, 12:57 PM

7 Sting Thing

And sometimes the UV777BK is affordable NEW. I picked one up at GC's Memorial Day sale for $999 and a UV1000C for $100, then they gave me $20 off for answering a trivia question. UV777BK + case = $1079

And I thought I'd just end up poking around when i went...oops.

so hunt around, you may be able to scare up a deal.....

-bill
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2001, 01:07 PM

7 Sting Thing

Dale ~ not only can the UV777BK clean up really nicely, but the "Strat in-between" tones are fantastic! I play Lenny on mine all the time - I just plug straight into my Deluxe Reverb and go, and it sounds beautiful! (and the low B string is quite useful in that song) Take one for a test drive (but make sure you're credit card is paid off first )
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2001, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

7 Sting Thing

Thank you guys for your replies .. make me feel right at home ..... Looks like I need to play one .. here in Tallahassee, yes we have ibanez dealers but they only keep low and I mean LOW end ibanezs in stock. They tell me they will order one for money down but I just don't want to buy a guitar without knowing about it. Based on the comments I think a road trip is in order. Thanks again for all the responces you guys rock.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2001, 06:35 PM

7 Sting Thing

Definitely play a bunch before buying - even if it's a bunch of the same model. *Especially if you've never played a 7 before (wasn't clear from your post if you had).

I've got a '99 UV777bk and I love it. *it's a wonderful player...but I, like you, have a need for a great clean sound. *I use the 2 and 4 positions a lot more than your average 7-stringer. *I thought the 1 and 5 positions were okay for clean, but i couldn't get a decent 'stratty' sound. *I was going to get a PAF-7 for the neck position when i found a Tom Anderson7 string single coil off the Warmouth guitar site for $56. *Tom himself wound it and said it was like a strat, but a little bit hotter. *It is a significant improvement. *I'm still considering the PAF in there, but i just don't have the $60 at the moment and it sounds good anyway. *For the distortion tone, there's no more 'rock' sounding guitar than that blaze 2 bridge. *it's awesome.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!
~Kenny
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2001, 09:25 PM

7 Sting Thing

I've had a couple UV's as well as a couple of RG 7's, and I can tell you first hand, if you can afford it, buy a UV. *Personally, I like the old UV's way better than the UV777BK, though I do have a UV777BK. *My UV777VSK (originally a UV7BK, do some forum looking, you'll see what I did) is a way faster guitar I think, although, after having the 777BK, I miss the AANJ. *The sonic ranges of the UV's is way better than the RG7620's, and they look nicer IMO. *The UV777BK's are always on e(vil)bay for decent prices, and there are always at least a few in the buy and sell section of Jemsite here that you can grab. *
But you really do have to play them all to decide, I ordered my UV777BK without ever having seen one in real life never mind played one, and after having my UV7BK for 6 years previous, was a little dissapointed in the neck on the new one, but I got used to it, and now it feels great!
Good luck on your quest! *They are great guitars
Jeremy
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 10:49 AM

7 Sting Thing

Keep in mind that a UV that is poorly set up is most unimpressive to play. *Most of the ones you find in shops are poorly set up so don't pass judgement too quickly. *THey need some TLC to get playing smoothly but once you find that sweet spot, it will play beautifully. *The tech set up section on this site is fantastic and covers every aspect of how to set your guitar up like a pro.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 07:38 PM

7 Sting Thing

Also, when you first buy the guitar it'll take you a few weeks to get it set up the way you like it and feeling right. (Due to the added string and obviously the trem)

But once it's there, it's there!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 01:50 AM

7 Sting Thing

I didnt bother to read all the previous posts, so I might be re-itterating this, but I think for clean sounds, playing the neck pickup actually is clean enough that I pretend like it's a Les Paul. *It just has this REALLY big warm sound what I wouldnt expect from a neck pickup. *It's not real bass-y, just very warm.
Killer guitar. *Love the pickups. *Sexy looks, it's like a guitar all dressed up for some big occassion. *Wont sell mine.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

7 Sting Thing

Sounds like the UV777bk can do what I need .. again thanks for the many replies...I just wish I would have spelled >> string << correctly for my first post at Jemsite. *:doh:
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 09:37 PM

7 Sting Thing

I just bought a used UV7BK and i can't put the damn thing down. I absolutely love it!!! *Neck is super fast....I have an RG7420 too and I also miss the AANJ, which is really sweet on the upper frets. If you can afford an UV get one, don't get an RG if you don't have to. hehe

Alden

Tags
edge trem , ibanez dealer , killer guitar , les paul , neck pickup , neck position , playing guitar , sounding guitar , upper fret , upper frets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode