7-String newbie, need a primer - give me sweet info, god dam - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

7-String newbie, need a primer - give me sweet info, god dam

Hey everyone,

I wouldn't say i'm a slouch on the old geetar, and I think myself as musically open minded etc etc, but I have never thought much about getting or playing a seven string. Therefore I know actually very little about the little beasts.

So it is a somewhat belated resolution that my next axe is gonna be a 7-string.

This is where my beloved jemsiters come in. If anyone could give me advice on which one? Pro's and cons, you know. And prices. What is the transition like, feel of neck. How do the RG compare to the Universe?? That would be great. Hmm what are the models in the Universe and RG line, oh yea i'm pretty much a stock Ibanez dude these days so dont be throwin any heretic plank ideas at me! lol (did i say open-minded)

Thanks in advance peeps

Track7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 10:18 AM

7-String newbie, need a primer

my first advice would be go and play one.

as for getting used to it. for me it was pretty easy, except for some stuff on the lower strings (you now have to think where your low E is, for instance). i think i have rather big hands because i had no problem with the size of the neck.

the guitar: go with the universe! the rg does have a lopro and dimarzio pu's, but the overall feel and sound of the UV is just better. of course it's more expensive, but it's worth it. if you want a hardtail try to find a used RG7621, no competition there.

NOTE: all of the above is just my personal opinion. try them for yourself.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 10:06 AM

7-String newbie, need a primer

Transition, don't worry about it as long as you get a guitar with a neck profile that you can live with, and if you're a Iby guy already, then you've got nothing to worry about. *I played 6 strings for 15 years and now I don't even own one.

As far as which model...that's tougher and very personal. *I have a 2027XVV and a UV777BK. *They sound completely different but they feel nearly the same to me...with weight being the exception. *The neck dimensions as listed in the guitar section are identical but it's the profile that varies. *I prefer the UV neck with its raw finish (2027 has a very light satin finish...which is now beginning to come off!?!?) *My UV fretboard is just a hair wider than the 2027. *There is more room south of my high E on the UV and sometimes on the 2027 I will vibrato right off the board if I'm not careful. *I got used to it though and I never do that anymore...except when I mean to.

Both of mine are stock and they sound just great to me. *Harmonics leap out of the 2027, even the neck pickup will give you some good ones. *The UV is a little more finicky. *As i said, they sound quite different due to the woods and what not, so that is where your choice will lie. *Problem is that if you want a mahogany seven, the only choice you have is a K-7 unless you are lucky enough to find a used CT, CST or 2027. *RG7620s are great guitars too, and a good bargain on the used market...just look a little plain jane for me though. *The UV is the best one still available that I have played, I haven't played an EB JP7 yet so I can't compare. *But you can buy 2 UVs for the price of a loaded JP7

Tags
lower strings , neck dimensions , neck pickup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode