To 7 string or not to 7 string... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

To 7 string or not to 7 string...

That is the question. Hahaha!

As some may have seen, I have been a little back and forth on what to get next for my Ibanez collection.

For those that don't know, here is what I own so far:

JS2410
JS2400
JEM 7V
JEM77FP2

I would LOVE to have the JEM 7V7 but at almost $3K, its hard to justify when it looks EXACTLY like my 7V. Why did Ibanez do this? Surely SOMEONE would have brought this point up when they were discussing releasing a JEM 7 string?

If they offered the 7V7 is BLACK or RED or...anything but WHITE then I would think it would attract so many people who already own a WHITE 7V 6 string.

I thought seriously about the UV70P (Premium) 7 string but... I really want to stick to the "Prestige" line.

Don't mean to be a guitar "snob" I just...love their Prestige line so much.

Now, I am also thinking about adding the JS1200 next. Hmmm... it isn't a 24 fret but it is a Prestige guitar AND it is in RED! So much nicer looking to me than my muscle car orange JS2410. I still love the orange but that Candy Apple Red JS1200 is awesome looking!

I feel like I would rarely play a 7 string. I mean, I don't play in a band. And even if I did, how many song would require a 7 string since I'm not into Korn or...any of those heavy metal bands.

I just love Joe Satriani and Steve Vai (And Ed Van Halen : )

Anyways, just wondering what you all thought about 7 strings

One think I DO love about them is that HEAVY sound! Feels so cool to hit those low notes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 09:18 PM

Re: To 7 string or not to 7 string...

I play my sevens 68% of the time.
nab an old UV man
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 10:04 PM

My Universe looks good hanging on the wall.
But I have found no practical use for it. It's nice to have in the rare instance I want to try something in the lower register, but it's not something I really need.

Of course I had to spend a good deal to learn that. But that's just me. Some like them and I can't knock that. I would borrow onefor a week and spend some "me" time with it before buying one. I would never sell mine but I wouldnt buy another one.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by POS RG View Post
My Universe looks good hanging on the wall.
But I have found no practical use for it. It's nice to have in the rare instance I want to try something in the lower register, but it's not something I really need.

Of course I had to spend a good deal to learn that. But that's just me. Some like them and I can't knock that. I would borrow onefor a week and spend some "me" time with it before buying one. I would never sell mine but I wouldnt buy another one.
No love for mid 90s death metal?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 10:26 PM

some months ago, I finally got my very first 7 string.
I've been playing for 20 years, and this is my very first 7.
my intention was to experience the 7, nothing else.
I don't need it for my practice, for my music, or anything else.
and after couple of months, I sold it. and never wanted anymore 7.
6 string is always better for me.

so my advise, if you are not sure about the 7, get a cheaper one or used one.
you don't like it, sell it.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoshredder View Post
some months ago, I finally got my very first 7 string.
I've been playing for 20 years, and this is my very first 7.
my intention was to experience the 7, nothing else.
I don't need it for my practice, for my music, or anything else.
and after couple of months, I sold it. and never wanted anymore 7.
6 string is always better for me.

so my advise, if you are not sure about the 7, get a cheaper one or used one.
you don't like it, sell it.
You make a lot of sense. I appreciate the response! Man...its so difficult to NOT buy a new JEM but...all I can get (new anyways) is the JEM 7V7.

So, it just may be the JS1200!

I know i'll get it eventually anyways so perhaps now is the time.

Thanks everyone for your opinions. I am so glad to be a part of this awesome forum!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 06:16 AM

I play 7 at least 50% of the time when I play alone.
If I play with a band 1% of the time.

None of the songs I play with a band use 7 strings.

When I play alone, I spend most of my time creating my own music.
I like having more to work with when being creative.

It all boils down to would you use it?

Any MIJ UV is a great guitar!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 09:02 PM

Reviews: 1

Its better to have than not to have. Just picked up my 3rd 7- a J Custom and I would say I play 6 and 7 equally. The thing with the sevens is that Im not always using the low B, but rather enjoying the slightly wider neck.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 11:14 PM

I think experimentation is cool, it can lead to entire new musical experience for you.

I like the idea of what psyco said- if you buy a cheap one and don't mind a hardtail, definitely get the cheaper one first. See if you like it. Used idk you find the cheap one for $200.

I like the 7v7 as the white Jem with an extra string- I just like the classic look of the white Jem I guess.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 11:42 AM

I am in the same boat. I have used 7 strings for some time and recently got a new one that was just released this year. I had to return it though because the neck developed a twist in it and I had a return policy. That being said, I was interested in the 7v7 as well. It really is a beautiful instrument but I wasn't going to pay that much for one at this point. I already have an FP2 and a JS2410 which I completely love. My others are a Gibson and Fender and thus, I'm going to look for something a bit different for a 7. Nice to have some variety around.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 08:15 PM

Reviews: 2

If I were in your shoes ( I wish!!) I think I would get a UV70 from Rich with a Platinum package+.

For well under $2k Rich would put together for you a guitar that is truly worthy of the UV badge. You'd have a NEW, inexpensive 7 that probably plays better than any of your "Prestige" sigs........unless you bought those from Rich.......LOL.

That's just my .02˘............. you could always settle for the JS1200....
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 06:08 PM

just buy one and make ur choice
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 06:59 PM

Reviews: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchims View Post
Anyways, just wondering what you all thought about 7 strings
One think I DO love about them is that HEAVY sound! Feels so cool to hit those low notes!
I own a UV7BK and I play it almost exclusively, so let me tell you one sane reason:

I play regularly with some bands, and it's not uncommon that some singers demand to play the song 1 or 2 steps below. I don't like hanging around with 20 guitars in 20 different tunings (yeah, I'm lazy), so what I do is transpose the songs into EADGBE tuning. Now, in many cases, the lower notes of the 7th string come in very handy with these transpositions.

Another reason: when playing songs with a lot of power chords in F, F#, etc., it may feel more comfortable to play these on the 7th, instead of the 6th string.

An extra string really extends your possibilities. Some people need time to get used to them, but once you're there, you miss when you have only 6 strings below your fingers.

Tags
7 string , 7v7 , uv70p

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode