7 string questions - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

7 string questions

Hey all, im considering buying a 7 string. Not sure which one yet, but im sure most people here will encourage me towards a Universe or a J custom!

Anyway, I had two questions. The first....
1. On a 7 string, does the wider neck have an effect on your speed? I remember a comment by a forumite here saying that when they switch from their 7 string to their 6 string, playing the 6 string feel a lot easier. I am interested in the extra range of a 7 string, but if it is going to impede my playing, then i am not too sure about whether to get one.

2. Does string gauge affect speed? I am not only referring to the low B on a 7 string, but to general strings in general. Some string brands have higher tension and some lower, different gauges have different feels but i wondered whether a heavier or a lighter gauge was easier to pick quickly on? Or am I just being stupid and it makes no difference? I would go out and try all those string brands but im saving for this new guitar and i dont want to waste it on loads of string packs, i bareley ever change strings anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 01:04 PM

Re: 7 string questions

You get used to the neck pretty quick, at least for me, it was easy and a matter of minutes. I bought my first 7-string back in 1998 and have never looked back. It was an RG 7620 and I still have it and it still plays great after all these years. Now I have 4 sevenstrings and it is all I've been playing for the past 7 years.

I'd say a UV is a good choice but a 7620 is also a GREAT choice for your first 7. They are out there for a fairly cheap price. If you want a UV instead though, then go with that.

I have a UV7PWH and it was the most I have ever paid for a 7-string. Compared to my RG 7620s and S 7420, it is easily the best guitar I own and well worth it. I got it through Rich at Ibanez Rules.

As for string gauge, I use standard .09 D'Addarios and have never had a problem.
I strung one of 7620s with a heavier gauge and had to have it set-up. It's all preference. I like .09s and 10s.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 01:23 PM

+1 on Flobanez's comments. The transition, from 6 to 7-string for me was quite smooth. You really don't notice "that big" of a difference.

- Does it affect your speed? No.
- Does string gauge affect speed? No.

Currently I'm using a .010-.046 set w/ a .056 for the Low B. I'm probably going to switch to a lighter gauge set, .009-.046's w/ the .056 soon. Mainly because I do a lot of bending on the G, B, and high E strings, and like the lighter gauge strings there.

I too am using an RG7620. A '99 model in Royal Blue. If you can find a used 7620 it's definitely a great place to start. Otherwise, if you don't want a Floyd equipped 7-string, Schecter makes some good ones at decent prices. (BlackJack Series)

If possible, do try a few out in your local shop(s). That is, if they have 7's in stock. See if it's for you or not.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 01:34 PM

Don't you think this might have been better served in the seven string thread?

I don't play any "slower" on my 7's than I do on sixes. There's a learning curve, of course, but the fundamental mechanics of playing notes on the guitar do not differ based on the number of strings the guitar has.

Also, my experience has been heavier strings are a little easier for faster picking, in that they have less "give" and force you to not dig in too deeply while picking. I'm currently running 11-68's on my UV (another PWH ), and frankly, my guitar has never felt better.

I'll second the 7620 and Blackjack recommendations (myself, I'm gassing for a C-7 Blackjack at the moment), and also suggest you check out www.sevenstring.org.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 01:38 PM

After playing 6 strings for many years I went and got myself a UV. The first thing that you will notice is the fretboard width. It felt huge to me. After playing it for a couple hours I quickly adjusted to it. I didn't touch my RG for a couple days but when i did, it felt small and light. As for your questions on speed, I haven't noticed any change in my speed between the two. The UV came with 10 gauges on. I quickly changed to 9's, as that is my fav gauge to play with.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 01:42 PM

I have to agree with Flobanez in that it's not hard to get used to a 7-string neck. I took a few days to become familiar with it but it wasn't hard. As you say when you're used to a 7, a 6 just seems easier to play. I feel that buying a 7 was the smartest move I made and my technique has improved in leaps and bounds since then (I still suck though!).
My first 7 was a 1527 which is apparently comparable to 7620 and it seems to be the general consensus that the 7620 is the best model to buy as a first 7. My 1527 holds its own when compared to my 1077 and 2027 so the quality of the 7620 is not an issue, maybe a Uni or J-Custom may be a little excessive for your first 7? Having said that, I'd LOVE to own either of those.
Again like Flobanez, I use D'Addario 9's and find them to be excellent strings. There seems to be an ongoing debate about the merits of varying guages. I use 9's because they're easier to play and are suited to string bending and whammy antics, but 10's/11's seem to be a popular choice for tone. Also thicker guage's mean higher string tension which seems to assist faster picking. I'm afraid I sit on the fence on this issue as I see the advantages of both, but I go with 9's purely on the ease of playing factor.
Hope this helps
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 03:52 PM

Thumbs up Re: 7 string questions

Hand cramps can be an issue when you go from 6string to 7string & back to 6 again, this is why Vai stopped using the UV's, but if your not going to swop between the guitars all the time & play just 7's one week 6's the next you should be ok bro, give your hand a good warm up if you do, all the bro's here posted top info & know there 7's!, i can't add anything other than the 7's with a trem take's longer to setup, but once there ready 7's kick ass!

happy thumping bro!- Jake
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaken777
Hand cramps can be an issue when you go from 6string to 7string & back to 6 again, this is why Vai stopped using the UV's, but if your not going to swop between the guitars all the time & play just 7's one week 6's the next you should be ok bro, give your hand a good warm up if you do, all the bro's here posted top info & know there 7's!, i can't add anything other than the 7's with a trem take's longer to setup, but once there ready 7's kick ass!

i never got cramps, but ya, rule of seven man, there sik
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 03:56 PM

If you're getting your first 7 string, either get an RG7620 or an RG1527. Definitely a lot more cost effective. Mind you the Universe is an awesome guitar and my UV777BK was actually my first 7 string and I never felt bad for spending so much $$$ on a guitar that I wasn't too sure if I could get used to. Took me about 30-40 minutes of running stupid warm up exercises to fully get used to the fretboard.

String gauge wise, it's really a matter of preference. For a while my UV was setup with GHS Zakk Wylde 10-60 and a 70 for a B, but I've toned it down to a set of Ernie Ball 9-46 with a 56 for a B.

If you can afford a UV or a J-Custom, go for it. They're GREAT guitars and you can always sell them to me if you don't like 'em. I can always use some more guitars
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot guys! You help is appreciated. I don't really want to get a 'first seven string'. Im 17 and dont have a job, so this guitar is going to have to last. I did try an rg7321 once and didnt like it, felt a little cheap(odd considering the rg321 felt pretty good) but ill go and try some 7 strings. Looking at Bo El, Maverick and (obviously) Ibanez.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 03:57 PM

Cool Re: 7 string questions

i forgot to mention, you can tune 7's a number of way's the 7 with fixed bridge is good for this type of tuning E A D G B E A in sted of the low B style tuning, but if the guitar is tuned this way the A string will be thin- 007' this will brake if your guitar has a trem & is not recomended, but it make's for some diffrent type of playing style's !
SHRED 'EM; DEAD BRO! - Jake

Last edited by jaken777; 12-08-2005 at 04:40 PM.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaken777

Steve hasen't stopped using them yet. He used it on Under It All, and I think that he would play at least one song with a UV for upcoming albums. Yup, 7s are difficult to play at first, but you'll get used to the transition between 6s and 7s in time. I played a 1527 the other day and it sounded very good IMHO. It took me about 5 minutes before I could really play anything on it.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 05:16 PM

Smile Re: 7 string questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze_1
Steve hasen't stopped using them yet. He used it on Under It All, and I think that he would play at least one song with a UV for upcoming albums. Yup, 7s are difficult to play at first, but you'll get used to the transition between 6s and 7s in time. I played a 1527 the other day and it sounded very good IMHO. It took me about 5 minutes before I could really play anything on it.
a friend in NEW YORK told me Vai detuned a six string because of the hand problem's you get with age, no one can really say what he used bro unless you were there with him? i don't doubt you bro on the Vai, but i do know if you swop between the 6 str & 7str guitar's ( all the time it can ) cause some cramp's or strain's a few people have said the same, maybe not with everybody bro, but it feel's like the type of cramp you can get when you over use PC keyboard, i hope it never happen's to you bro or anyone on this site, it's painful.!

cheers bro -Jake
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 10:58 AM
b3n

Does a 7 string neck put more strain on your hand? I don't see why a 7 would cause cramps but a 6 be ok...

Last edited by b3n; 12-09-2005 at 11:44 AM.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 05:40 AM

Reviews: 4

So Vai and Mikey on Vai.com are going to lie about what guitar he used? What exactly would the point of that be?

Tags
ernie ball , fixed bridge , gauge strings , string tension , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode