7 stringers - what is that then - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2002, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

7 stringers - what is that then

hi i hope some body can help me. *i am thinking about joining the revolution of the 7 string guitar. *only problem is i am pretty clueless about them. *if i get can i play it as a 6 string , or are the strings tuned differently. *are the scales and chords different, if so were can i find out about the new stuff. *please help. *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2002, 05:19 PM

7 stringers

you don't have to use the 7th string. you can tune them to whatever you want, it's just a guitar with an added string. the only difference is if you buy a baritone, those have 27" scale neck
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2002, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

7 stringers

cool, *all i need now is someone with a Universe for sale, *what is recommened, do any ununiverses have the vine inlay, *any 7 stringers for sale?
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2002, 07:05 PM

7 stringers

The only universe with a vine inlay is Jeremy's (littlegreenman)
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2002, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

7 stringers

if i got a 7 string could i get a vine fretboard made, if so were, is the uv mc hard to find?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2002, 07:56 PM

7 stringers

you could, but it'd cost ya big $$$. MCs are indeed hard to find, IMO more so than the DNA. there were only 1038 made worldwide.

(Edited by snakepit at 7:57 pm on April 24, 2002)
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2002, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

7 stringers

theres not many exciting universe finishes, i might get a black one and get a resprayer to give it a GMC finish, i wonder if any one would trade a peavey wolfgang standard for a universe.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2002, 09:53 PM

7 stringers

Quote:
barry maginn on 8:32 pm on April 24, 2002
theres not many exciting universe finishes, i might get a black one and get a resprayer to give it a GMC finish, i wonder if any one would trade a peavey wolfgang standard for a universe.
There's one GMC/UV out there - vine and all. *A guy named Kent used to own it. *Don't know where it is now. *Kent is around here sometimes - paging Kent...anybody seen Kent?

~Kenny
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2002, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

7 stringers

id love to see a picture of that, *was it a uv7bk customised, i wonder how much he spent.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2002, 05:46 AM

7 stringers

Customising a UV shouldn't be too bad, although to get a swirl you'll need a new rear routed body, but they aren't too expensive. Then because of the dots, having new inlays shouldn't be too difficult either. The good thing about a custom body is that you can choose whatever wood you want as well!

As for how much you'll spend, have a look around at prices. I do reckon that the swirl is going to be one of the more expensive parts, but on the other hand having a cool customised instrument that's YOURS! is well cool

Universes are nice, yesterday a friend played one of mine and complained it was too easy

Good luck man!!

James
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2002, 05:55 AM Thread Starter

7 stringers

thanks for the tips, *in ur opion what would u rather have a Jem 777vBK or a uv777gr, i want to start into 7 strings, but dont usually play maple fingerboards.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2002, 07:29 AM

7 stringers

Quote:
barry maginn on 5:55 am on April 25, 2002
thanks for the tips, *in ur opion what would u rather have a Jem 777vBK or a uv777gr, i want to start into 7 strings, but dont usually play maple fingerboards.
The UV777BK is the pick hands down. *Ibanez and especially the Steve Vai models have been plagued with some very trendy and short-sighted colors. *The Shocking Pink and Desert Yellow Jems were cool back in the 80's but have become what "Avacado green" was to the seventies. *The UV777BK has very subtle but timeless features to it. *The inlay on the neck and body combined with the black headstock and body finish are striking together. *The inlay pyramids on the neck and body are real show-stoppers as well. *Add to it the mirror pickguard and it's an amazing looking package. *I've played a couple gigs with mine and I'm always asked about it by both guitar players and non players.

The UV777GR is a legacy peice of gear....it has history....but the look of it has dated and it has not aged well. *It's very 80's and not terribly timeless at all. *They're tough to find, for me they're tough to look at, and I much prefer the newer neck joint on the UV777BK. *It was a real improvement in the design and makes reaching for the upper frets a little easier.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2002, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

7 stringers

thanks, i was interested in the gr because it is less common,anyone can pick the bk up at a store now, but the gr seems to be a real ibanez collectors UV. *however i am looking for the best playing guitar and have the feeling the 777BK would probably be best,i love the design under the trem, does anyone know of some one selling a UV777BK?
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2002, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
7 stringers

The best thing to do if you are serious about any Universe would be to either contact Rich at Ibanez Rules (the swirly banner to the top right) or place an add inthe JEM/UV add section of this site

Pretty much any UV can be set up to play effortlessly and I personally don't find the old style heel much of a problem as far as top end playability goes.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2002, 11:31 AM

Reviews: 2
7 stringers

do yourself a favor and get an RG2027x, since they have piezos *they are better than the Universe's and they have a beatiful cherry burstish vintage voilin finish.

Tags
black headstock , guitar players , maple fingerboard , maple fingerboards , neck joint , peavey wolfgang , peavey wolfgang standard , playing guitar , steve vai , sunburst finish , upper fret , upper frets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode