Is the 777 SK difficult to photograph accurately? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Is the 777 SK difficult to photograph accurately?

Is the original Jem 777 SK difficult to photograph accurately? I've seen several listings on reverb and ebay in the last couple months, and they've all said something along the lines of "minimal fading", yet the pictures look drastically different.

Is it just cases of bad lighting (or white balance issues for the photographers among us), or do these original SK's really run the gamut from light pink, to salmon, to fuschia like, or even towards orangish/red?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 09:26 PM

Re: Is the 777 SK difficult to photograph accurately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluewookieJim View Post
Is it just cases of bad lighting (or white balance issues for the photographers among us), or do these original SK's really run the gamut from light pink, to salmon, to fuschia like, or even towards orangish/red?
In the first hand experience I've had, it's all of the above. I've seen them faded everywhere from lighter magenta to salmon to straight up almost orange, add to that most people's awful photography skills, with a color that digital cameras, and phone cameras in particular have a really difficult time capturing, and photographing the SKs becomes a mess.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 01:39 PM

All the neon colours are really hard to capture. Taking pictures and capturing the right colour can be tricky, and the SK is probably at the top of that list! The way the light hits the neon paint can make it look like different shades... Different angles and reflections. RFR can look red, pink-ish or even orange.

Anyway, that being said, a lot of the old neon colours from the golden era were prone to fading, and suffered from yellowing clear coats, both which impact the colour we see. I've seen the SK run from magenta/fuchsia to bubble gum pink to pepto bismol pink to orange-ish to salmon. It's definitely hard to tell sometimes through online pictures.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 03:49 PM

Unless you colour correct the photo in light room or similar program you'll never get a true representation of the actual colour, and then your monitor will also play a big part too as it won't be calibrated so you have no chance.

The issue is how the camera white balances the image, this is why you see models holding neutral grey cards or colour cards like this whenever the lighting is changed.

Then you use that image to calibrate the rest of the shots, otherwise your guessing.
even pro level cameras have different saturation levels and hue's, canon image is normally a bit more skin tone wishy washy, and Nikon is in your face with the colours.

Also if you shoot in RAW you an boost colours without effecting the rest so you can make the guitar body jump out etc.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks... I'm actually a pretty decent photographer, so I know all the struggles of white balance first hand. I was just trying to find some "truth" to what the old SK should really look like.

I know we aren't supposed to post links to auctions, but there is an 1987 SK 777 on reverb now, seller is Wired Guitarist. The listing goes on about how there is minimal fading, but to me at least, it looks pretty washed out, more bubble gum than anything. The photography on that one is actually pretty decent, so maybe that is the real color, but I'm not sure I would agree with the "minimal fading" claim.

There is also another one on reverb, from someone in LA, but that one looks alot more reddish/orange in most pictures, almost certainly photography issues, because a few of the pictures like the side of the body near the input jack, and the headstock, look much more accurate than the rest of the photos.

Oh well, I guess if I actually had one I could see how hard it actually is to photograph accurately.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluewookieJim View Post
Thanks... I'm actually a pretty decent photographer, so I know all the struggles of white balance first hand. I was just trying to find some "truth" to what the old SK should really look like.

I know we aren't supposed to post links to auctions, but there is an 1987 SK 777 on reverb now, seller is Wired Guitarist. The listing goes on about how there is minimal fading, but to me at least, it looks pretty washed out, more bubble gum than anything. The photography on that one is actually pretty decent, so maybe that is the real color, but I'm not sure I would agree with the "minimal fading" claim.

There is also another one on reverb, from someone in LA, but that one looks alot more reddish/orange in most pictures, almost certainly photography issues, because a few of the pictures like the side of the body near the input jack, and the headstock, look much more accurate than the rest of the photos.

Oh well, I guess if I actually had one I could see how hard it actually is to photograph accurately.
That's actually my original SK that I sold to my business partner who runs WG with me. It's not faded at all or if it is, just verrrrrrry slightly.

Those shots aren't edited either for anything other than getting rid of some shadows and adding sharpness/noise reduction.

Hope that helps!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 12:01 PM

I find that LNG is actually the hardest of the three to photograph. It almost always comes off looking very blue. But SK is right behind that. One of the issues with SK is that it can often reflect a lot of light, which makes the guitar look very white and faded. The pics of the closeups of the chips suffer from this issue. Look at the difference from the top of the guitar to the sides. It isn't really like that in person I'm sure.

The pic which I think will be most representative here is the one of the guitar in the case. This is probably a bubblegum pink guitar. You can see the tone difference from the case. One thing this guitar does seem to have going for it is that the clear has not ambered at all, which is fairly rare. That's what you're seeing on the guitar in LA. The effect of the clear is very noticeable on DY and SK and is most obvious on old white guitars. The paint on the headstock will usually have much less of this effect because the clear there is much thinner.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 06:52 PM

Take a picture of the guitar, then take a second picture in the exact same lighting etc with a white piece of paper sitting on top of the guitar. Load both pictures into lightroom (or similar photo editing application) and adjust the white balance to the white sheet of paper in the second photo. Apply the same white balance values to the first photo of just the guitar. Adjust the exposure as necessary and minimal tweaks the shadows, hightlights, etc if required.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 04:20 AM

Reviews: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
I find that LNG is actually the hardest of the three to photograph. It almost always comes off looking very blue. But SK is right behind that. One of the issues with SK is that it can often reflect a lot of light, which makes the guitar look very white and faded. The pics of the closeups of the chips suffer from this issue. Look at the difference from the top of the guitar to the sides. It isn't really like that in person I'm sure.

The pic which I think will be most representative here is the one of the guitar in the case. This is probably a bubblegum pink guitar. You can see the tone difference from the case. One thing this guitar does seem to have going for it is that the clear has not ambered at all, which is fairly rare. That's what you're seeing on the guitar in LA. The effect of the clear is very noticeable on DY and SK and is most obvious on old white guitars. The paint on the headstock will usually have much less of this effect because the clear there is much thinner.
That is true, my '87 has a nice pink color on the headstock (very close to the color you can see on the '87 catalog) and although it has not faded, the clearcoat has yellowed, thus looking like and old 550 RFR.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwsusi View Post
Take a picture of the guitar, then take a second picture in the exact same lighting etc with a white piece of paper sitting on top of the guitar. Load both pictures into lightroom (or similar photo editing application) and adjust the white balance to the white sheet of paper in the second photo. Apply the same white balance values to the first photo of just the guitar. Adjust the exposure as necessary and minimal tweaks the shadows, hightlights, etc if required.
Interesting approach. I need to try that. I really need to shoot in RAW and use Lightroom rather than Photoshop. I just guess at all this stuff and adjust until it seems "right".
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Technically the best approach is to use a "gray card" to set the white balance. You photograph the gray card in the lighting that you'll be shooting in, and then use it in lightroom or photoshop, etc, to set the white balance correctly, for any pictures you took in that lighting. You can get a decent gray card for like $5 that will do the job.

In this example, I'm about to shoot in my karate school. Our uniforms are primarily white, and if I don't set this correctly, everyones uniforms look pretty dingy.

If you want to accurately set a color profile, or if you want to warm or cool colors in a particular way, then you can use the color chart for accuracy, and the warm/cool panels on the other side to adjust uniformly.

For example, here is a silly sample I used a long time ago when I was creating custom color profiles for one of my cameras.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 11:20 PM

You guys aren't helping my quest to not buy more stuff I don't need.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
Interesting approach. I need to try that. I really need to shoot in RAW and use Lightroom rather than Photoshop. I just guess at all this stuff and adjust until it seems "right".
BluewookieJim's method is the right way...i suggested a white sheet of paper as a simple approach using something probably laying around the house....not that gray card is that expensive to buy
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 09:54 PM

It wasn't just the cost it was the sinkhole of time playing with this!

Tags
777sk , shocking pink

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode