Ibanez JEM Forum banner

If you had this 777SK project what would you do with it?

14K views 64 replies 23 participants last post by  Shrigg 
#1 ·
I'm calling this project "PMC-inspired" since I know it won't be right, I just enjoy the look of those guitars and figure I might as well enjoy what I got... So here is my 91 Jem777SK "collection of parts". I got it in boxes and in a horribly-repainted state. Some people did not like the Shocking Pink, imagine that! So I took it down to bare basswood with plans to paint. Still working on the control cavity but the heat gun was starting to get to me!

This seems like a great swirl candidate to me. I wanted to get opinions on best way to proceed. I know the front routes make less awesome swirls but I figure with clear pickguard+neat electronics it will look cool. Some guys have their bodies dipped with the pickguard installed but I am not really into having a nekkid body underneath. Plus I know the swirl would scratch right off the pickguard if it were mine. I guess the whole mess could be clearcoated but that just don't seem right to me.

Here is what I was thinking: Swirl the body PMC style. Paint the headstock black. Decal to match electronics (This Jem has green pickups and controls, so I was thinking of either green decal or new purple bobbin plates/single coil cover+purple decal)

The yellow instead of purple disappearing pyramids also keep this from looking like a real PMC... Not much I can do about that... Maybe a yellow or green headstock decal? Can someone suggest a source for good headstock decals? I see em on **** but don't trust them as being quality.

If anyone thinks I'm all wrong to swirl this I'd like to hear that opinion as well!

Thanks,
Shrigg

PS: Oh yeah: First post! Fullon NOOB!

See less See more
#3 ·
Seems that there is such low interest in 777SK's it would be a waste... Restore it to factory color that no one likes? Especially me, I'm not wanting to be seen gigging with a pink guitar. That's how I got this, a previous owner HATED the pink, botched the repaint then took it all apart.

#7 ·
Yeah, my buddy hated the purple guitar he ended up giving me. That's not why he gave it to me, but he was always saying "The color, you know, it bothers me." I think it looks great. It's funny what things bother people about gutiars. I mean it's not like the previous owner of this JEM couldn't have just paid someone to professionally refinish it. But his stupidity lost him a great guitar and gave you shrig one for cheap. So I hope there are plenty more stupid people jsut like him out there.

Just as long as the guitar is still usable that is.

I'm not a swirl fan I think you should paint it LNG (loch ness green)

#13 ·
Just to help you out :)
Thi is what it could look like!
Now, I've shown you mine when it's done you show me yours!
btw, in spite of this I like the original sk a lot!
Jim
Nice Vim! So yours is a front-route? I can't tell from the pic.

I was thinking black headstock + one of the swirls below from Nate (of course the final swirl will vary, but these colors anyway) A swirl with black in it would even look good with the black pickguard until I can afford a clear one ($84.50 shipped from pickguardparadise OUCH!)

#10 ·
cool project.but is the body not from a vsk?black lionsclaw?but i think for a swirl you need a backrouted body.swirl with a pickguard isn't that nice.do you think it is?i like the pink jem.one day i have one!but they are so ugly.and the swirl can be nice.try to be original.and show pictures.
have fun

#14 · (Edited)
PMC or GMC?

Pseudo POLL:

1. PMC
2. GMC
3. Paint it BLACK
4. LNG
5. DY
6. What are you doing? Restore it to SK!

Guys, with what I have to work with (green pickups and controls, Yellow disappearing pyramids), think this would be better as a faux PMC or GMC?

Here are the electronics/rest of parts (pickups and controls also painted, thank you previous owner!)
Every time I cringe at the painted parts I just remind myself that I wouldn't *have* this guitar unless it had been painted like this. So I thank the previous owner instead. :)

#17 ·
Its hard enough playing live in front of people, so i guess if thats even the slightest issue, a pink guitar is just something extra to worry about when on stage....

Personally, id restore to SK. I love the SK.

Its like those metrosexual guys in the nightclubs who wear pink polo shirts. Man they think they are so cool ;)

#19 ·
lol, not to distract this thread onto the virtues/flaws of SK, but all three of the original 777 colors to me scream "hair band" and for the music I'm playing (which is anything but that) I feel a new look is appropriate.

Plus it's cheaper to swirl it... Unless someone can recommend a good/cheap source for solid color repaint? C'MON, CONVINCE ME TO RESTORE IT TO SK!!

Actually, sharp eyed posters will notice that the neck looks like it was off of 777DY... Quite the collection 'O parts I've got here!

#32 ·
Id go neon green, pink or yellow (in that order), considering the inlays... The swirl patterns look nice but the colors are way too weak (specially the green), too "pastel"... Pickups would have to go as well, if you do a good job cleaning them you could sell them easy and get some proper pink dimarzios...

if you do a good job at restoring it to what it should be, and still are afraid of being seen playing it you could always sell it and get any kind of black guitar you want :)

#34 ·
LOL, I'm gong through counseling right now in the form of watching the SK votes skyrocket past any of the others.......

Other viewpoints and opinions welcomed, DON'T MAKE ME PAINT THIS THING PINK!!!

But with all your support I know I'll be able to hold my head up high as I play out with my little pink gee-tar

-Shrigg

#41 ·
Yeah, really nice colors... its kinda more what the real PMC should have been, without all the orange :lol:

(i love the real ones, i just never felt comfortable with the name :lol: )

Shrigg, if ET can add some neon yellow in there and pull that off for you, it will look awesome with the inlays, black headstock (neon decal) and the original black pickguard to create some contrast... really bright pickups (either the green ones if they survive or others) and you could be on to something... :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.