777sk: What do you really think? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 34
777sk: What do you really think?

Well,

I want a 777sk (or77, I can't remember). I love the colour, and I love jems.

I have never played the early models (except a 1990ish FP, which is why I love jems) so I need some balanced views.

This Jem (777sk) seems to often criticised for it's finish/paint degradation. Apart from the colour etc. are there any other issues with this model? Does it sitll play/sound great? Is it a true Jem?

I would really appreciate your thoughts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 03:32 PM

it is 777

As far as concerns go, i think the only other one is the paint finish crack, but that happens on most models and I don't think its much to be worried about.
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 03:33 PM

sorry, should say. The crack occurs on the heel joint between neck and body
post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks,

I knew about the heel crack, and I have to say that worries me, but I suppose it is inherent in the finishing process.

But apart from that it is a "good" jem, or at least typical.

The thing is I really like the colour, and the maple fret board.

I must have one.
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 05:03 PM

I love em. Sold mine about 4 weeks ago Needed the money for bigger and better things though!
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 05:43 PM

I dont personally own one, but my next door neighbor did. I wasnt much for the finish (that, as youve stated, is a matter of taste), but the guitar played great. Personally I like the AANJ of the mid to newer models (that doesnt make a heel joint worse...it just means that Im spoiled), but Ive always liked the sound of PAF Pros. There are no specific problems with that model that Im aware of, and Id say its on par with the rest of the Jems. If you like it, get it!
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 07:54 PM

The unfaded color is very extreme. I like it. The downside is that many have some fading issues. Look at the SK gallery for an extreme example. Other than the color, the guitar is just as solid as any other Jem pre-AANJ. It comes down to personal preference (color, maple board, etc).
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 12:44 PM

I love my SK. Mine has faded some but still has a very bright and even color. The difference is most noticeable when I take the TR cover off.

Plays great. The crack in the neck joint area is good to examine but common on many brands that have that style joint. In most cases it's just the finish and related to stress.

Mike 777 Haug
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all those comments guys.

Personally I think that the colour reflects the era, and Vai's playing at the time. That guitar is the reason I built my custom strat with flourescent pink paint, and a maple board. As good as it is, it is not a Jem, so I guess I have to find one to fulfil my ambition.

Anyway if they fade that bad, you can always get it resprayed even brighter.
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 01:22 AM

I like the 777sk, and I also like the 777dy. If I could find one real cheap I'd buy it in a heart beat.
post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 02:24 AM

I don't like the bright pink or the desert yellow. I just think they look really rubbish. I couldn't agree more though, that they are reflective of the era they were produced/played and were probably the most amazing guitars ever when they came out.
post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Lyndgohrd
I like the 777sk, and I also like the 777dy. If I could find one real cheap I'd buy it in a heart beat.
Last time I checked, Rich Harris had a DY for $1100...

edit: to be a part of the topic, yeah I think the guitars are very reflective of the era, but I think that that's really cool. People dig the out there stuff a lot. Although it's not as extreme, people (especially girls) really like my FP at concerts. Just think if you showed up to a show with a pink guitar! If I had some money to throw around, I'd probably get one
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Well thanks guys for thew advice,

unfortunately I ahve just bought a house, so no guitars for me for a while
post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 12:14 AM

I LOVE my pink jem, it is absolutely perfect! No fading, no finish crack at the heel, and it sounds and plays great. And the chicks dig it, they really do. I'm so glad I have it, I like to stare at it in awe. I like the flourescent pink finish, I really do!
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 01:54 PM

Reviews: 1
The SK, DY, and LNG guitars were identical except for the vine inlay and maple/rosewood fingerboard options, and of course the colors. Same woods and hardware, same bridge, same pickups. There were 3 basic models and yes, they were the best "Hot-Rodded" shred machines available at the time. The JEM set a new level of professional quality guitars for the average comsumer- and quite a testament to Ibanez as they are still one of the most popular guitars manufactured in the world.

I've spent way too much on guitars so I'm not the best example, but after owning just about everything in all price ranges, I've finally come to the realization that the JEM REALLY IS the hottest, most comfortable, best looking and best sounding Strat-style guitar there is. Period. Regardless of price.
Any JEM you buy will be an excellent choice in my opinion, and a great quest would be to have one of each of the originals.

Tags
fret board , gold knobs , maple fret , maple fret board , neck joint , paf pro , paf pros , rosewood fingerboard , shred machine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode