77FP crack in neck joint - advise sought - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

77FP crack in neck joint - advise sought

Hi,

I'm new here and need some advice.

I have a '91 77FP (from new) that has been unused for about 10 years.
As I have started to play again (after about the same duration) I have liberated it from it's case and noticed a small crack on the body on the neck joint.
After reading a similar post here I am worried this may be a terminal problem if this is through the wood.

I don't think it is that deep but my question is; as it's still playing nicely despite being neglected for 10 years and still wearing strings in excess of that, would it be better to investigate (i.e. remove the neck) or just change the strings and carry on and just not worry about it.
Basically, would taking the neck off for a look-see make it worse?

I would upload some pictures but it would seem I need to shrink them.

Last edited by justice68; 05-11-2014 at 08:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Re: 77FP crack in neck joint - advise sought

Any advise would be very welcome btw - it's getting late, I'll try to work out how to get some pictures uploaded tomorrow goodnight!
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 06:28 PM

Reviews: 2

Welcome to Jemsite justice- good to have you with us.

First off......NICE GUITAR!! That's a great one to introduce yourself with.

second..... there is no danger in removing your neck. Remove the strings, place the trem aside, loosen the neck screws, then gently tilt the neck out of the pocket by pushing the headstock downward til the neck is out.

Neck joint cracks are excessively common on Ibanez guitars- especially those with a square heel. Most people leave them as-is and that's OK, but I prefer to drop a little super thin CA (super glue) into the crack from the neck pocket side of it. The CA will wick into the crack completely and leave a perfectly solid repair that will not be able to crack any further.
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Fanatic, great advise!
That's made me feel a lot happier - I'll take that onboard when I start giving this baby some well overdue TLC. It's not exactly mint (I've subjected it to 100+ gigs) but its my 1 and only JEM and by far the best guitar I've ever owned.

I'll post some pics of the poor old thing when I've posted 10 times (I think that's what the message said).
Any advise on cleaning the fretboard BTW - lemonjuice? (can you tell I'm used to playing and not working on guitars?)
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 07:19 PM

LOL..... the most used guitars are always the best ones. Looking forward to seeing it.

I use Weiman Lemon oil. The brand you use doesn't matter- just be sure that it advertises "silicate free". Lemon oil is great for both cleaning and conditioning rosewood or ebony boards.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
LOL..... the most used guitars are always the best ones. Looking forward to seeing it.

I use Weiman Lemon oil. The brand you use doesn't matter- just be sure that it advertises "silicate free". Lemon oil is great for both cleaning and conditioning rosewood or ebony boards.
Brilliant, thanks mate
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 05:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Welcome to Jemsite justice- good to have you with us.

First off......NICE GUITAR!! That's a great one to introduce yourself with.

second..... there is no danger in removing your neck. Remove the strings, place the trem aside, loosen the neck screws, then gently tilt the neck out of the pocket by pushing the headstock downward til the neck is out.

Neck joint cracks are excessively common on Ibanez guitars- especially those with a square heel. Most people leave them as-is and that's OK, but I prefer to drop a little super thin CA (super glue) into the crack from the neck pocket side of it. The CA will wick into the crack completely and leave a perfectly solid repair that will not be able to crack any further.
On the subject of repairs, how would you advise 'touching up' damage to the body (there are quite a few places where the fabric and wood are visible).
many thanks.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 05:42 AM Thread Starter

Sorry, there's more!

The screw on the strap button on the horn keeps working lose - I'm thinking some kind of filler may solve this as the screw hole seems to have become enlarged over the years - can anyone advise the best way of doing this without doing more damage.

Sorry for the lame questions, I'm trying to restore this myself as I don't know of any professionals in my area that I can trust these days.

Thanks for listening
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 06:02 AM

Reviews: 13

Hi Justice, as others have said, welcome to the site.

Others will also very likely direct you (politely) to the search tab at the top of the page as a great place to start. There are a lot of really helpful tips on how to fix the two problems which you have already mentioned - they are very common characteristics of Jem and RG series guitars.

If after doing dome further searching you still have no luck with finding the answers that you are after, please feel free to throw those questions out there to the site - as you have already seen the guys are more than ready and able to help.

Congrats on having such a great guitar with a great history and I hope to see you around more frequently in the future.
-Wolfram
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 06:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfram View Post
Hi Justice, as others have said, welcome to the site.

Others will also very likely direct you (politely) to the search tab at the top of the page as a great place to start. There are a lot of really helpful tips on how to fix the two problems which you have already mentioned - they are very common characteristics of Jem and RG series guitars.

If after doing dome further searching you still have no luck with finding the answers that you are after, please feel free to throw those questions out there to the site - as you have already seen the guys are more than ready and able to help.

Congrats on having such a great guitar with a great history and I hope to see you around more frequently in the future.
-Wolfram
Thanks Wolfram, sorry I realise I'm asking questions that have been covered numerous times elsewhere - I'll make better use of the search tab
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Here's some pictures of it anyway (phone pictures for now, probably for the best before I clean her up!)

It's all stock apart from the trem which I modded to be screw in (I was getting sick of buying bushes).
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

And here's the crack:

post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 06:41 PM

Yup.... totally standard neck joint crack. Nothing to worry about man. Get yourself some thin CA and drip it into the crack from the pocket side. Don't try to open the crack up to get more in- let the CA do all the work (you'll be shocked at how well it seeps through the whole crack) You'll see a small amount come out through the paint- leave it be til it's hard. Job done..............

The strap pin is a super easy fix too-
you need a couple of wooden tooth picks, some simple carpenters glue, and the original screw......that's it.

drip a couple of drops of glue into the hole then spread it around with one of the tooth picks so that the entire inside of the hole is coated. pull the toothpick out and put more glue on it the same height as the hole is deep. push the pick into the hole as deep as you can. break the pick off flush with the body. repeat with the remaining piece of tooth pick. Three pieces of tooth pick is usually more than enough to get a tight fit again (sometimes two is enough- test it). Once all three pieces are in there and the glue is still wet- screw the original screw into the hole again. go as deep as the hole will allow without putting too much torque on it. You eventually want the screw to be able to go in a tad bit deeper than it will when it has the button on it. Once it's deep enough- let it sit over night with the screw in it. In the morning you can unscrew the screw, install the button and have a nice, stronger than original fitting strap pin.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Awesome advice mate, much appreciated!

After this weekend this baby won't look 10 years old
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 07:14 PM

Good luck with the repairs... and don't sweat the search function nazi j/k Wolfie

The search function on this site sucks, so just ask away and don't worry about it man...

Ryc usually has some great advice on tap and loves to help out

Tags
jem 77fp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode