Is the 77vbk popular? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 03:06 AM Thread Starter

Is the 77vbk popular?

Everyone asks for disappearing pyramids and swirls. Is the 77vbk ugly? I really like it, the binding, mirror pickguard and vine just work together so well, I just doubt that this guitar will ever have the status of the white jem, even though I think it looks FAR better. plus the breed pup's sound great. anyway, what are your opinions on this guitar, anything you don't like about it (preferably more than "it's black" :-D )?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 03:31 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: Is the 77vbk popular?

I dislike the mirrored pickguard. I dislike the mirrored pickguards on all the recent black Steve Vai models

Other than that I love the guitar. Personally I'd have gone for a black pickguard with white pickups as a hat-tip to the old JEM7PBK and I've seen a couple of these jems modified to look like that. If I was going for a 77VBK, that's the first thing i'dchange.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 04:53 AM
Banned

Reviews: 4

i like this jem,very sexy.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 08:25 AM

Reviews: 13

Sure it's a beautiful instrument, but it reminds me a lot the cheaper RG350EX.
Maybe it makes me reject it a bit, inconsciously.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 08:30 AM

The short answer is no, it isn't popular. Even though it has always had a higher list price than the 7VWH, it almost always sells for less. Going along with what jono said, I think it would have been cool to make the guitar more like the old PBK, to differentiate it more. I realize that the Universe is much like a 7-string PBK, but I still think Ibanez might get more traction on the guitar if it had a pyramid neck.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 04:05 PM

Reviews: 2

I love it. I also own a 7Vwh, and to me, they are the best looking Jems ever produced. My 7V is a 2005 and my 77V is a 2007, and so the necks are identical, and going between them is so easy. They are my favorite guitars hands down, and they both get tons of compliments on their appearance. The 77Vbk also looks much much better in person than on a website - once you oil the fretboard, it loses that weird brown color that all of the pictures show it with, and becomes nice and dark. And, no to pyramids for me,,,,I wouldn't have bought it without the vine!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 05:23 PM

I'd rather have a 77vbk than a 7vwh. Basswood body and Breeds.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 06:07 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
The short answer is no, it isn't popular. Even though it has always had a higher list price than the 7VWH, it almost always sells for less. Going along with what jono said, I think it would have been cool to make the guitar more like the old PBK, to differentiate it more. I realize that the Universe is much like a 7-string PBK, but I still think Ibanez might get more traction on the guitar if it had a pyramid neck.
I happen to like mine just the way it is

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 06:11 PM

Yeah, that guitar you have is a nice one, especially with the Rich Harris fretwork. I only paid $1200 for that guitar and sold it to you for $750. I looked at it as I paid $450 for a basically new Jem neck. Seemed like a good deal to me.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 07:19 PM

I have the 77vbk 08 model and it looks way better then the 7vwh subjectively speaking. I agree with the person that said "it looks better in person." Im guessing the reason why its not popular is because Steve never plays with it. If it were his main guitar it would sell allot more.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 08:53 PM

Reviews: 8

It would have to be popular, otherwise Ibanez would have discontinued it.

The nice thing about it is that it offers different wood and pickups from the 7VWH. It's not just just a black version of the 7V.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 03:09 PM
NSR

Like the 505 series, there's a white and a black. With the 7VWH (white) and 77VBK (black) there's also the variation of wood and pickups. Maybe the principle designer doesn't have such outragous taste in fashion these days, in that there are only two neutral colours...apart from the FP2 of course.

I sure hope that this would be a nudge to inject a new model into the 777 series...and not a 25th anniversary model! A neon purple or neon blue perhaps? Couldn't really have a neon orange as there are probably enough pinks that have turned that colour.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 10:03 AM

With my OCD id be constantly cleaning the guitar's mirrored pickguard LOL
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachmaninoff View Post
Sure it's a beautiful instrument, but it reminds me a lot the cheaper RG350EX.
Maybe it makes me reject it a bit, inconsciously.
I couldnt agree more. I still think it looks awesome though. I like the binding on the body
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowhue View Post
With my OCD id be constantly cleaning the guitar's mirrored pickguard LOL
LOL I was thinking the same thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tags
77vbk , best-guitar-in-the-world , jem , vine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode