7DBK vs 77FP - Wich one to choose - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2001, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

7DBK vs 77FP - Wich one to choose

What is the difference in necks (i understand the DBK is thinner), i've also noticed that the FP has bigger frets & 21-24 are scalloped, PAF PU's as opposed to breeds.
If they were the same price i'd probably get the FP, but on the current situation i think the DBK would be the choice (allthough I HATE BLACK).

Lemme know watcha' think ;)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2001, 07:32 PM

7DBK vs 77FP

I'd say FP hands down. But again, it depends on your preference. I personally don't like the thinner neck of the DBK.. makes it feel real wide (to me). Of course, you don't get the AANJ with the FP, tho. I would still go for the FP.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2001, 07:38 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
7DBK vs 77FP

I like everything about the FP better except the lack of the AANJ. To me that is significant... glen
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2001, 08:55 PM

7DBK vs 77FP

I bought my 7DBK as a back up to my 77FP, played it for a couple days, tweaked it to my preferences and completely fell in love. It's the least expensive of all my fancy-schmancy Ibanez axes, and it has become my Number 1 - it is NEVER in it's case... I'm not that fond of the finish, but I'll forgive that for it's marvelous playability and TONE! I wouldn't say it's better than my 77FP, but it's seen a lot more use over the last two or three months... I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either guitar - but you want to be happy with the one you choose. My advice - such as it is - is grab the one you really WANT. Don't compromise, even if it means you have to wait another month or two to buy it.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2001, 03:40 AM

7DBK vs 77FP

I'd go along with Jimi D. I had the same dilemma a while ago. And let's face it, the DBK is cheaper. But I had always wanted a Floral, and I knew that they had stopped making Florals, so I thought I'd better get one quick.
Your best bet would be to try them both, because they do feel different, and sound different. I was won over, completely, by the cosmetics though. The FP, although we're used to seeing them here on Jemsite, is such a wild guitar-still after all these years. It would look good on anyones wal, never mind playing the thing. Incidentally it plays great. The AANJ is only a big issue if you spend a lot of time right at the top of the neck.
The PAF Pros are great also.

Guyl
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2001, 10:43 AM

7DBK vs 77FP

I was facing the exact same dilemma myself this week. I have been drooling over jem guitars since I first saw them in an Ibanez catalog in the late 80s, but not before now could I afford to buy one. I searched all Swedish websites for ads and found two used Jems, one 7dbk and a 77fp, which one to choose?

Considering that the 77fp had seymore duncans on it and was 10 years old, I ended up ordering the 7dbk which was sold by one of the biggest ibanez dealers in Sweden. The phone call went something like this:

Me: I noticed on the web that you have a used jem7dbk for sale, the ad says 7dbx, I guess that's a typo and you really mean 7dbk.
Clerk: wait a minute and I'll check... (time passes)... it's a 7dbx! We'd like $1300 for it.
Me: Eeeeh, there so such thing as a 7dbx, is it glossy black with a mirror pickguard?
Clerk: Eeeh, mirror... yes, and it's beuitiful, no scratches blah,blah, blah.
Me:alright I'll take it, please send it by mail to...

Two days later (yesterday) I received the guitar and imagine when I unwrapped it and found.... a JEM90HAM!!!! No need to say that I will never complain. The guitar was said to be used, but it looks brand new to me. The nylon washers on the tremolo arm looked like the arm never had been attached before.

By the way, to get back on topic. I'd go with the 7dbk again if the choice was between it and a 77fp. upgraded mics, AANJ, skunk stripe.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2001, 11:21 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
7DBK vs 77FP

Too funny. Congrats on the 90 ...glen
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2001, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

7DBK vs 77FP

LOL, congrats on the HAM.

I have this thing that i've got to get a shred era guitar, like getting a relic, a wholy sword, wich is a late 80's early 90's *& JEM's are just so cool. Late 90's JEM's have such crap finishes (7VWH, DBK, UVBK), i mean not poor quality, but uninspiering colors. There is also the JEM BSB, wich i find the coolest, but a used one in London is 1500 pounds = $2400.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2001, 11:46 AM

7DBK vs 77FP

:loco: TeHe!!!
I have both...no dilema's here.

J>
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2001, 03:51 PM

7DBK vs 77FP

Hey Juice!
Rose Morris still have a BSB (£1699) I think.
The Guitar and Keyboard place (advertised in Guitarist) in Brighton has them for the same money, AND you can get 2 yrs IF credit (£70/month)
Cool axe!
Go for it!

Guy
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2001, 04:41 PM

7DBK vs 77FP

Thanks for your congrats guys!

You say that the JEMs in London are expensive. I agree with you, but at least you can find some. In Sweden they're close to non-existant. I went JEM-hunting in London 2 weeks ago and found quite a few object, but very expensive.

I had a mail discussion with the guy that was selling the 77FP that I considered buying. We agreed that I will come back to him in 3 months and I'll buy it then. It is waiting for me

/B
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-22-2001, 08:17 PM

Reviews: 2
7DBK vs 77FP

I've seen BSB's go for £600 in Guitarist (Secondhand of course)
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2001, 06:29 PM

7DBK vs 77FP

i have them both and here are the results. *they are both brand new. *the FP is new for 2001. *never played except by me for 5 min's or less. *it was an order that ibanez did. *they had 25 of them. *as luck turns out, i got #1 out of 25. *it's beyond mint. *if you think the ones from the 80's look cool, you should see this one...very vibrant colors and very deep blacks! *it's pure art! *you can check it out at my site; www.steverotter.com

ok, here goes;

FP; *looks killer but i hate the pickups and the neck is too fat. *the tone goes THUD THUD THUD instead of CHUNK CHUNK CHUNK. *

7DBK; *very fast and thin neck like the yellow vine inlay. *pickups sound a little thin compared to the paf pro's cuz they are different. *they are breed pickups. *and when you put a thin pickup in basswood, it is going to be odd. *i got used to it after jammin' through my mesa tube stuff and it was killer chunk! *i love this guitar! *it is also insanely light! *unbelievalbly light! *almost too light!

that's my 2 cents.

i may sell the FP and get a 7VWH but i'm torn, it's just so cool looking.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2001, 06:37 PM
Vendor

7DBK vs 77FP

There was no #1 of 25. Evidently these are *still* in production. This really goes to the other thread where 2000' BSB's are being discussed. Aparently the story Chesbro put out (found box of bodies) was total bullsh!t, I heard they ordered more. Evidently being discontiued in the US means nothing to the rest of the world. They want more BSB's and more BSB's are made. Same for florals. I wish they'd make me more JPM90's!!!
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2001, 07:16 PM

7DBK vs 77FP

Or even a couple of Donnies...eah Rich?

J>

Tags
ibanez catalog , ibanez dealer , jem bsb , jem neck , paf pro , paf pros , tremolo arm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode