7PBK, are they all THIS good? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

7PBK, are they all THIS good?

So, I scored a mint 7PBK for a obscenely low price. I planned on selling it but I don't think I can let it go because it is probably the best sounding and playing guitar I have ever had my hands on. The only other axe that comes close in terms of sound quality is my $3k chambered Les Paul Supreme.
I usually hate rosewood boards but this one is very responsive, with a lot of sparkle to it. The low strings sound tight w/ some growl, not spongy like Ibanez guitars tend to be.
Though I prefer the look of my 7VWH (which is the best sounding and playing of the 4 that I tried), I am going to sell it because it will never get played now that I have the 7PBK.

So, did I end up with a really nice piece of wood or are these guitars all really nice? I read somewhere on here where one of the mods says that the 7PBK's "Play themselves" and I could not possibly describe it better.

BTW, Mine says 88' on the plate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Re: 7PBK, are they all THIS good?

Also, the owner said that he had it under his bed for the past 20 years, which I believe because there are no scratches or chips anywhere. No fret wear. Plastic still on the cavity plates. However, the pickups are black, not white. Where these ever produced w/ black pickups and is there any way to tell if they are the correct DiMarzio's by looking at the back of them?
He did change the pickguard to white (I still have the unused original black one) and switched the bridge pup but gave me the original, which was black too...
I'm confused...
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 11:23 PM

I have very little experience with other Jems, and am no expert by any means, but I love my 7PBK. They truly are extremely easy to play.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 11:26 PM

Reviews: 12

... i think the analogy to this is that your axe has aged like fine wine I think Jem's that has "matured" brings out its character.
my 777VBK is from '89 and it's probably seen a few beatings but it's the most stable axe in my collection. It's just as heavy [weight wise] as my RG550DX despite the presumptions of monkey grips reduces some weight.
and yes, I never believed it at first but these axe's DO "play themselves"...

Reg
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 02:04 PM

Reviews: 3

The 7PBK has white DiMarzio Paf Pro´s, so the previous owner changed them (or at least the covers). There were so many produced between 1988-1989, but nowadays they are very rare to find because they are so much appreciated for the players and collectors. Along with the 777VDY and VSK the neck profile is the Wizard, not the Jem, so they are thinner and more playable to my taste. The sound of the old models (basswood + paf pro) is more "classic", "deep" or "wood sounding" to me than the newer ones (alder + evo or basswood + breeds), which sound more "modern rock".
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vy100 View Post
The 7PBK has white DiMarzio Paf Pro´s, so the previous owner changed them (or at least the covers). There were so many produced between 1988-1989, but nowadays they are very rare to find because they are so much appreciated for the players and collectors. Along with the 777VDY and VSK the neck profile is the Wizard, not the Jem, so they are thinner and more playable to my taste. The sound of the old models (basswood + paf pro) is more "classic", "deep" or "wood sounding" to me than the newer ones (alder + evo or basswood + breeds), which sound more "modern rock".
Thx for the info. Is it possible to change the cover on a humbucker? Dimarzio says they are not changeable.

Also, the neck on this guitar has only the lightest finish on it. Mych lighter than my other Ibanez guitars. Is this a standard feature of this guitar?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 09:01 PM

Reviews: 2

pics?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Absolutely! I haven't put the original pickguard or knobs back on yet because I want to figure out what I'm going to do with the pickups first. They are supposed to be white...

The first one on the left is my old RT from 1992. It was my first guitar. I painted the clocks from Satriani's "Time Machine" album on the pickguard. Why I did green on a red guitar, I don't know. I sold this guitar at one point but was able to get it back after a couple years. The next is my trusty RG470 that I take places where I can't take my nicer guitars. She's been good to me.

I'm probably going to have to sell the 7VWH now because I can't justify having it for a decoration. Hard to let her go because I'm really sentimental...

Last edited by Bowie; 09-24-2008 at 10:37 PM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 10:43 PM

Man, that thing was a hell of a bargain........great deal!! Interesting mod you did on the 470 btw.........kinda 565'd it......lol!!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberthrall View Post
Man, that thing was a hell of a bargain........great deal!! Interesting mod you did on the 470 btw.........kinda 565'd it......lol!!
Yea, I am a tone freak of epic proportions and the V7, S1, V8 garbage was not working for me. So, I stuck a vintage Icemen pup in the bridge and a VirtualVintage 52' Single coil in the neck. Took out the tone knob and put the jack there. Now it's a nice, classic-rock guitar.

I still can't get over how good that damn 7PBK sounds. Just flawless. I've TRIED to make it sound bad so that I could justify selling it because Lord knows, I need the money!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
I'm probably going to have to sell the 7VWH now because I can't justify having it for a decoration. Hard to let her go because I'm really sentimental...
Shoot me a PM sometime if you ever get serious about selling.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 08:52 AM

I just noticed the difference in the monkey grips between the white one and the black one. Is this as it should be? I would of thought that all the Monkey grips were the same.

But then again,having never owned a Jem I'm probably not the most well informed guy on the subject.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberthrall View Post
I just noticed the difference in the monkey grips between the white one and the black one. Is this as it should be? I would of thought that all the Monkey grips were the same.

But then again,having never owned a Jem I'm probably not the most well informed guy on the subject.
The PBK's and the RB's both had the different monkey grips.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 02:34 AM

the pbk is one of the best jems....i have one and i think its the best.next my vdy.the neck is a little different with the old 750/usa custom necks.it feels different.
and they sound great! the pbk is also the coolest.black and white is very cool!
have fun with it!!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 04:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianxtr View Post
have fun with it!!
Thanks! I certainly am.

I did some experimenting tonight. I recorded a bunch of different tracks w/ an Evo pup in the bridge, then I dropped in the original PAF Pro and recorded the same tracks through the same signal chain (Engl Fireball>SM57>UA M610>LA-2A> Lucid converter) and A/B'd the tracks solo and in the context of a mix. It should be noted that I tune to 'D'. The Evo sounded fuller but that became a problem in a mix because it was always competing w/ the vocals (and almost everything else). The PAF Pro did not mask the other instruments though it actually stood out more because of it's dynamics and wider bandwith. The bass sits lower and the treble higher so it just fits in a mix really nicely and I don't have to EQ it once it's recorded.
The Evo did have something sexy going on w/ the compressed harmonic scream and fat upper bass but it really didn't work for me in a recording context. Proably accounts for why I like the guitar tone on "Passion and Warfare" far more than anything thereafter.

I still can't figure out why my PAF's are black. I'll have to see if I can trade someone for a white pair so I can bring this baby back to a stock look.

Tags
7pbk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode