7th string help - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

7th string help

i have a universe. but wher i live i cant find 7 string sets neither the 7 string alone.
the tickest string they for guitar is .046

my question is. Can i use a Bass string?
a G string .050 or a d string .055?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Another question it doesn have nothing to do with the string question but here it goes.
How to clean the back of the neck in my Uv777bk?
i just got like one month ago and its starting to get dirty and feels a little weird.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 01:15 AM
Fry

To clean the back of my necks, I just spit on them and take a nice cloth to it. Why don't you just order bulk strings on the web?
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 12:14 PM

If you can't find 7-string sets and are having a hard time finding single low b-strings (somewhere between .052"-.060" depending on what you like). A bass string would be fine-just longer. It would have to be the appropriate gauge and you may pay a little more for it.

Another idea is to get a six-string set of guitar strings that is 3-gauges heavier than what you are normally using (for your B-B) and buy an extra high E for the correct gauge. This may work fairly well especially if the string gauge shift doesn't vary much in diameter in their "new positions". You may have to reintonate a couple of strings if the string diameters vary a bit.

Ex: like 9's? Get a 12-gauge set for your B-B and an extra .009"

If you like really heavy strings, this option may not be that simple.

Mike 777

Last edited by mike777; 01-12-2011 at 05:53 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot!! for the info, but Jim Soloway is going to send on Ghs .060 string to try it.

and yes bass strings are pricey, they cost more than a complete set of guitar strings
and for the heavier gauge 6 string set.
The only options with the local dealers are: .008-.038, .009-.042, .010-.046 and thats all you can find here.
Some friends used to play ghs .011-.050 but they cant find them anymore so they went to .010-.046

dealers here are wrong, you can buy a universe from them but not the strings and they are not going to bring em, they said to me to buy a normal .009-.042 6 string set and get the 7th string separately in another store
and no one has it.
I should run an store here called Heavy Gauge Strings!!!!!!
Man there are so many things missing here. its not like going to a Guitar Center, well here is an store called Metropoli Music Center, and its the biggest in town, but again you can buy almost any guitar, but they do not have a wide selection of strings, picks, and stuff.
Pickups hahahaha dont even think about it
i Had to buy my Dimarzio Evolution in the US on a Guitar Center.
Guys you are lucky To have Guitar Centers, Sam Ash, Mars Music(i bought a guitar in this store, in San Antonio ot Houston Tx. i dont remember exactly)
Thanks a lot for your help especially to Jim Soloway!!!!!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 09:53 PM
Vendor

Anyone know where to get .14 - .60 sets?? I'm sure the guy I'm shipping this Mushok to would like to know
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 12:27 AM

Matter of fact Rich, D'Addario had their rep in my shop today, and gave us some new sets to try out. One is in fact a baritone set of XL's. It's a long scale set also... I will look tomorrow and send ya' the guages. I left them at work...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 01:22 AM
Vendor

Wicked! [but the chances of a local shop actually carrying them is pretty slim] At least they're packaging sets though.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike777
If you can't find 7-string sets and are having a hard time finding single low b-strings (somewhere between .052"-.060" depending on what you like). A bass string would be fine-just longer. It would have to be the appropriate gauge and you may pay a little more for it.

Another idea is to get a six-string set of guitar strings that is 3-gauges heavier than what you are normally using (for your B-B) and buy an extra high E for the correct gauge. This may work fairly well especially if the string gauge shift doesn't vary much in diameter in their "new positions". You may have to reintonate a couple of strings if the string diameters vary a bit.

Ex: like 9's? Get a 12-gauge set for your B-B and an extra .009"

If you like really heavy strings, this option may not be that simple.

Mike 777 Haug
I tried this myself but couldn't deal with the unwound D string.

Tags
dimarzio evo , dimarzio evolution , gauge strings , heavy gauge strings , sam ash

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode