7Vwh 2008, clean playing on dirty gain tips - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up 7Vwh 2008, clean playing on dirty gain tips

Howdy folks,

Mines a jem7vwh 08 model. Plays superb. I've been playing 20 years and feel fairly accomplished in my speed, range etc. However, I just feel a bit stuck on how to improved the cleanliness of my pick attack. I simply cannot get crystal clear arpeggios or sweeps and either my picking hand or my fretting fingers always brush the other strings and whilst fundamentally i'm playing the piece i want to play, when I listen back to it there is always the issue of it not being as clean as it could be.

when i listen to others on youtube or even Vai himself (live) people can play so amazingly cleanly. I wondered if it was down to my rig and lack of compression or simply I need to focus on improving my playing technique somewhat.

My rig is simple - Jem=>Bad Horsie2=>Peavey Bandit 112=>Boss DD3 in Fxloop

So:

1) Quit winging and learn to play better? If so can anyone recommend tips for how they improved the cleanliness of their pick attack on fast playing

2) Change the rig? If so any suggestions? I'm only wondering if a tube amp would give a more compressed gain therefore less chance of picking up other string noise or whether using a fx board infront of the amp might help?

bit of a big question i know but there must be others out there with this same issue.

thanks alot
BC
1)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 03:01 AM

Re: 7Vwh 2008, clean playing on dirty gain tips

Muting the strings you arent playing. Its very tricky to master, especially when you're playing fast, but it definitely makes your playing sound much cleaner.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 04:40 PM

+1

takes a lot practice though. besides muting with the palm of your picking hand, there are times when you also have to mute unused strings with your fretting hand as well. best advice is to just take it slow and work on playing it cleanly without string noise and gradually work up to speed...while focusing on accuracy, tone and cleanliness.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 04:58 PM

+7 for muting with both hands. Tough technique to master, but it's worth it. With regards to sweeps, again, start slow, keep your fingers and hand a little bit arched instead of being too flat, and work it up slowly.

Tags
clean , playing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode