7VWH or 7DBK - really can't decide! Help, please! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2003, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

7VWH or 7DBK - really can't decide! Help, please!

Heloo everybody!

I really cannot decide what to buy! I've read a lot of information about my dream, about 7VWH, but i'm quite afraid to buy it because it seems to be "too Vai's guitar", and it seems to me that the man who has such awesome guitar has to play as good as guitar is But i'm not playing so good The second moment is that I wont be able to bring it to my lessons or to the concert (if it will suddenly occure ) I'm afraid to do this, because it is quite expensive... But I'm in love with this thing.
That is why I looked at the 7DBK. I know it is a very good guitar, I like it looks like, I know it is in top five, but there is no ebony, no Evos, no vine etc. And it is not a dream, it is in fact a half of it May be I will try to by them both... but from which to begin?

For what music I want to use the guitar: for everything from jazz to metal.

Can you help me someway? I know that it may seem like psychological problem of choice or something Did anybody have the same problem?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2003, 05:09 PM

Take your current guitar to lessons, leave your jem at home.
But trust me, when nit comes to a concert/gig you wont be able to leave that jem at home.

Try the guitars out first. And try them with an open mind. If you prefer the sound of the breeds, then go with that.
When you play the guitars, you'll know which to go with.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2003, 05:13 PM

Definitely a psychological issue! I don't think you should be afraid to buy it because it's "too much Vai's guitar" - that sounds comes from his fingers as much as the Jem.

If you're just learning to play, I say go with the DBK. It's got that durable finish so you don't have to worry as much about keeping it in good shape. I think other people's experiences differ, but the only real way to know if a guitar is right for you is to spend a good portion of time playing it, adjusting to it. Could be that a Jem is not the machine for you, in which case the DBK will be a much cheaper mistake. Furthermore, even though the DBK and VWH are very different as far as Jems go, in the bigger picture of all guitars and all brands, they're nearly identical. The more important factor in terms of sound and playing enjoyment is what your fingers become, and both of these guitars will suit that equally well.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2003, 05:42 PM

U know how whenever u want 2 things doesnt' matter what it is... PS2 or xbox...That hot blonde chick or the sexy brunette down the block... Jem7vwh or js1000.... What ever one u choose you'll end up wanting the other one later. Happens everytime. Soo my advice play both keep an open mind make a decision and stick with it. And try to hold back the feeling for the one u didnt' by a month or 2 down the road.

Phil
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2003, 10:53 PM

Dude...grow up....it's not Vai's guitar. It's yours. Go with what you want. I love Steve Vai as much as the next guy, but that's not why I bought a JEM. I bought a JEM because it suits my playing style and tastes. I love Joe Satriani but I don't own a JS or care to because I don't like them. I got a 7DBK because I couldn't afford a 7VWH. In the end, it's all about the Benjamins and the 7DBK was about 4 Bens less.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2003, 10:55 PM

I like the VWH better.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2003, 11:36 PM

You're in the exact same predicament I was in last year. I too, felt that the VWH was "too Vai" for me personally so I went with the DBK. I'm not sorry as the DBK has been a great guitar and it's got more of the type of sound I was after....darker, not as bright as the VWH would be with my Marshall.

I'd say give the DBK a hard look....especially if you're more likely to play it and really break it in as opposed to ogling a VWH in a climate controlled, dust free environment.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2003, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Thank you guys for your quick reaction!
I understand that it is the best way to try them both and then choose which to buy first...
But... I'm affraid that I won't be able to do this only because they are not in the dealer's stock. They have to be ordered... May be I will be lucky enough and dealer will agree to order them both but I doubt it....

Tags
joe satriani , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode