7VWH or 7VSBL - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

7VWH or 7VSBL

i'm gettin a JEM7 in about a week, and i was wonderin' if ppl think that the white JEM7 or sparkle blue JEM7 is better.

i've been reading that the only difference is the colour and something about the rosewood and ebony necks. I got no clue about what difference different woods make so if someone knows, could they tell me? thanks

personally i like the white Jem7 better cuz of the pearly pickguard, the gold hardware and that i think the whole guitar just looks more stylish. i think the blue looks kinda "happy" and the actual vine desn't show up too well.

by the way, the 7WH is $4750 and the 7SBL is about two hundred more (this is Australian bucks).

let me know wat u think.

luke. sydney, AUS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 10:04 AM

if its cheaper, and you're going to be more happy with it, then go for the VWH. the VSBLs vine does show up close up, but not nearly as much as the VWH's
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 10:54 AM

If you do a search you should find plenty of discussion on this very topic. I went through the same thing when I bought my SBL earlier this year. The ebony fretboard (WH) is harder and darker than the rosewood (SBL). Some people think the ebony makes for a faster fretboard. I don't know this to be true, but all my guitars have rosewood.

When I received my SBL (from Rich) I was stunned at how beautiful the blue color is. Pictures just don't do it justice! The only thing I don't like about it is that the vine inlay is almost impossible to see from any distance. It's beautiful work and it's a shame people can't see it. When I first picked it up I had people come up to look at it after I was finished playing in a fairly small room, and they were surprised to see that the fretboard had inlays at all. I might hire Jeremy from LGM guitars do fix it for me some day.

I tried two WHs and didn't like either (one was second hand). I also didn't like the gold hardware. It just looked cheap to me.

http://www.jemsite.com/phpbb/viewtop...m7vwh+jem7vsbl
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 11:07 AM

it complete contrast, i love the vwh. the gold hardware adds some class, it looks amazingly bright and beautiful in white, a real contrast to my other guitar, and the ebony board is lovely. i think the vsbl is a bit of a plain jane whereas the vwh is a bit showy. so it depends on what ur after i guess. they will both sound exactly the same. i think the vwh will probably have more resale value as they are higher in demand. and of course you get some lovely abalone inlays in the vwh neck which are very nice.

you should consider Rich, as he might be able to save you some cash...

his guitars come in around $1650 US ($2400 AUS) plus shipping and any duty AUS might charge for the import.

I ordered my VWH from him just over a week ago and shipping time was 2 working days. I reckon you could save a fortune... I can't imagine shipping and duty coming anywhere near $2300 AUS can you?

Go visit Ibanez Rules or email Rich.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 05:59 PM

All that money for a blue guitar with white pickguard and fretboard full of plastics?

Get the VWH, and even so you´ll be paying some high royalties (included).
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 02:19 PM

noleafclover,
I bought a used VWH. I did try the Blue version. It seemd to play better. THe used white version I bought does not play as well. But it all depends on the setup! I bought the white because the blue was too gaudy.

You paying AU$4750 is outerageous. The US dollar is weak now and $4750 will come to about US$3000.00. For this price you can buy 2 brand new JEMS!

You should make a trip here to the US. Do all your shopping(new or used, you can fly roundtrip for US$800.00). You can also bargain in the US. You seldom pay full price here.
From what I hear it's recommended to buy from Rich. Remember it's all in the setup!
Good luck!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-17-2003, 10:13 PM

VSBL or VWH

I just ordered my VSBL (used, but he says MINT) from Rich, can't wait to get it. Here is how I see it. This is why a Jem is the best guitar in the world. It has the sexiest shape that a guitar can have (Strat like) but better. It has these cool things called a Monkeygrip & a Lions claw on it. They have the best looking headstocks (Ibanez), they are fairly versatile. Pickups are screamers! Trems. the same. And of course that AWESOME looking vine inlay that you never see on any other guitar!!! They are so sweet looking.

Now for the VSBL & VWH discussion. To me, there are too many VWH's out there, not enough color contrast (all white). Gold hardware looks kind of cheap. Blue is more rare on any guitar same with any type of blue inlays. Also, about Jems & the VSBL's, they have somewhat of a traditional, classy, sexy, & yet a very modern look to them. I'm not contradicting myself either in the discription, they have all of these qualities. I do however, agree with the blue inlay being a bit too dark, oh well. Someday I might get Jeremy to do something that will stand out a bit more, but that will not deviate from the original Vine inlay.

I'm a new member, and this is my first Jemsite posting!!!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-17-2003, 11:08 PM

Re: VSBL or VWH

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcard71
I just ordered my VSBL (used, but he says MINT) from Rich, can't wait to get it. <snip>
If Rich says it's mint, it's mint. This is the man that puts pickguard screws back in the same place, he's so meticulous about these things . . . :-)

I've "known" Rich for a while now, as well as you can know someone on the Internet, and from talking with him and reading his posts, and other's posts about him, I can say with some confidence that Rich isn't only doing it for the money, he really loves the instrument and takes pride in knowing that he's sold you something truly exceptional.

And if the guitar isn't all it should be, he won't try to gloss up the description at all, he'll tell you about a flat spot on the back of the neck even if it's something you would have never noticed. :-)

Mic
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2003, 10:59 AM

Bump for Rich.

He sold me my RGT3120. I got it for a great price with no problems, and it was ready to play out of the case. Great setup.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 04:29 AM

Re: VSBL or VWH

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcard71
I just ordered my VSBL (used, but he says MINT) from Rich, can't wait to get it. Here is how I see it. This is why a Jem is the best guitar in the world. It has the sexiest shape that a guitar can have (Strat like) but better. It has these cool things called a Monkeygrip & a Lions claw on it. They have the best looking headstocks (Ibanez), they are fairly versatile. Pickups are screamers! Trems. the same. And of course that AWESOME looking vine inlay that you never see on any other guitar!!! They are so sweet looking.

Now for the VSBL & VWH discussion. To me, there are too many VWH's out there, not enough color contrast (all white). Gold hardware looks kind of cheap. Blue is more rare on any guitar same with any type of blue inlays. Also, about Jems & the VSBL's, they have somewhat of a traditional, classy, sexy, & yet a very modern look to them. I'm not contradicting myself either in the discription, they have all of these qualities. I do however, agree with the blue inlay being a bit too dark, oh well. Someday I might get Jeremy to do something that will stand out a bit more, but that will not deviate from the original Vine inlay.

I'm a new member, and this is my first Jemsite posting!!!
congrats on the VSBL - my wife bought me my own VSBL from Rich last Feb. The guy is great, it had a perfect setup right out of the case..

The VWH is a hot guitar - and I plan on one next year - but my first Jem had to be different (and the wife took the hint)

Once you buy from Rich - you're hooked!!

Tags
abalone inlays , ebony board , ebony fretboard , ebony neck , lgm guitars , pickguard screws , white pickguard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

how to setup a jem 7vwh
will an original floyd rose fit into jem 7vwh?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode