7VWH tremolo low-pro-edge only raises no more than a halftone!!! Help please. - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

7VWH tremolo low-pro-edge only raises no more than a halftone!!! Help please.

Hi...
i need your help.

Because my Ibanez JEM 7vwh doesn't come back in full pitch after a pull-up of the tremolo (Lo-Pro Edge), i read about the Chapman Stick and bought one.
Then I tried to take off the tremolo as described on the ibanezrules-site.
As i watched that tremolo, i saw that one knife-edge (the right) has got a half circle filed into it. Nevertheless it worked before so that should not be the problem.

To correct the action height, i drew the posts a little bit more in to the guitar and put the tremolo back into the guitar. Now the string height was a little to deep, so tone was killed when doing some bending. So i went through all this again and raised the posts a little bit. Now it's better.

As I put in the tremolo again and tried to play a little bit, I notices, that I could only raise the tremolo no more that a halftone.
My RG 4020 does it better, without a lion claw..
I think, the bottom plate (with the knifeedges) of the tremolo touches the wood, where the posts are screwed into.

Are the posts drilled to deep into the wood? Even if action is ok?
What can i do about that?
Fit the inner neck screws with something to give the neck another angle and raise the posts?

Please help.

Thank you...

Mallone..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 12:39 PM

Reviews: 4
Re: 7VWH tremolo low-pro-edge only raises no more than a halftone!!! Help please.

U will have to shim the neck. Unscrew the neck, stuck a small piece of business card and attached the neck back again. After that, readjust the action and play. If it isn't enough, just fold the business card and add on till your preferred height.

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/grunge/grunge_6.htm

Here is a link on how to do it.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 05:56 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: 7VWH tremolo low-pro-edge only raises no more than a halftone!!! Help please.

You have the bridge far too low in the body. Follow Faekildare's advise on shimming the neck, but you'll also have to raise the bridge away from the body
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Thank you.. shimmed the neck and it's much better now..

One small additional question:
When playing distorted i notice a massive impact of noise from every little touch on the body.
This seem to reduce when screwing the pickups lower...
Is this the cost of the high output evolution pickups?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 08:53 AM

Reviews: 4

Touch meaning knocking on it or just light touching it? If it's light touching the strings, then yes, but if you are constantly muting it, then it's ok.

Tags
7vwh , jem , lo-pro-edge , whammy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode