'90 JEM 77FP help before selling =( - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
ns9

'90 JEM 77FP help before selling =(

Hi!
Times are rough, and with only a JEM 77FP and UV777WH left, the FP loses
It is in beautiful shape, except...

First fret height seems just shy of the second fret. Truss relief is set a little shy of flat, action is good. Only the first and second string are affected. I cannot find a local place that can properly replace the one fret and level it. The frets are in EXCELLENT shape, should not need a refret for years. Suggestions? Should I sell it and just mention this? How much should I take off the price for something like this?

Second issue: The stress cracks by the neck on the body, in the pockets, that are oh-so-common; one side is pretty long, and it looks like the previous owner scratched at it for some reason. No chips to the wood. Any way to buff it out or is this going to require a partial refinish in the one horn/neck area? (I can take pics) How much would this reduce the price?

Last thing! The finish on the back of the neck was removed. It has NOT been shaved at all, just lightly sanded. I was planning on hitting it with 0000 steel wool, and possibly oiling it lightly. Or, leave it alone?

Otherwise, it is in excellent shape, all original (except the strap buttons I think, and no whammy bar). Trem springs feel a little worn, but the bridge and posts are in excellent shape as well. Not a player shape guitar by far..VERY far from being player condition; but not collector shape either I think. Light scratching on the back (lighter than typical Levi's jeans copper rivet scratches.. or maybe cose to that)

I think part of me is posting this in hopes I can convince myself to not sell it. I dreamed of having one when they came out, and once I got one, I simply could not bring myself to play it much. Not to boo-hoo and "whoa is me" it too much, but this is the last JEM I have. I loved the idea of JEMs, but always preferred those first runs of the RG's (550, 560, 570 FTW!!!) with maple boards; wish they had done an ebony (yes, I owned a VWH.. miss it too)

Wow- that was a wicked long post. (sigh) Fair price? "I'll be patient" price? Or should I get those things taken care of first? Non-original case, but it is an Ibanez JEM case.
Thx!
nikki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 01:08 AM

Reviews: 7
Re: '90 JEM 77FP help before selling =(

let's see some pictures, will be easier to tell.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 01:46 AM

PICS!
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 05:13 PM

Reviews: 13

You may be better off to keep it unless you 'really, really' need the money. I think you would lose too much off the price. I'd say maybe 4 - 500US at a minimum possibly up to 1K. Pics would definately help.

Good Luck.

-Wolfram
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
ns9

Hi!
OK.. got someone to take pics (paraplegic, no camera.. kinda rough to take pics, lol)
http://nikkik.nintheye.com/pics/JEM77FP/

I went ahead and checked the frets with a straight edge (from StewMac), and it seems I was wrong; 3rd fret is slightly high, causing the problem. Fret level or maybe a simple dressing should get it just right. Neck could also use the time to shim it properly to get the angle just right.. I have had to do this with most Ibanez series from that era. No biggie. The frets have TONS of life left; couple pics show that pretty well I think.

I ran some 0000 over the back of the neck, and it is close to "baby butt smooth" now. Little more, and very light oil if someone really had to have it.. well, plays sweet as all now.

Two chips on the back end (by the strap button). One to the wood, and was covered with touch up paint. Two small nicks on the edge of the headstock. Other than that, "buckle rash" on the back seems to be less deep than I am used to seeing.

Now the worst part.. the stupid stress crack, and the scratching someone did by it. No idea what to do. Uploaded 3 pics, shows it pretty clearly.

Played it for about an hour today after the pics were taken. Almost cried at the thought of selling it, even though I only play it for maybe 20 mins or so every few months. I just feel it needs to be owned by someone who will give it TLC and the attention (PLAY ME!!!) it deserves. I always dreamed of owning one, but it is not my cup of tea, and keeping it to just look at seems silly. I have two RG customs I put hours and hours into that I absolutely love. But, to lose money on selling the JEM77FP is not an option either. Fair price? I do not have anywhere I would trust to do a fret level and dress on this; Les Pauls and Strats, yeah.. but a JEM? I took a JEM radiused guitar to a local place that did two of my Les Pauls, and they changed the radius of the frets and bridge!
(sigh)
I know.. silly girl getting all torn up inside over a "stupid guitar."
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
ns9

Well, local place will do the level and setup for $150-175 (Twelfth Fret.. they have done several guitars for me, and they will not be re-radiusing it).

I have new springs for the trem, and if I have to, I guess I could buy a trem bar ($20-25?).

Only real issue left is the damn scratching by the stress crack. Since it does not involve the cloth Floral part, should I find a competent refinisher to refinish just that one small section? Or leave it as is? IOW, would it be worth more scratched or inside the one horn refinished?

I am assuming it could not be buffed out ( I do not have the tools to even try...). If I opted for the refinish of the inner horn, should I have him shoot the back of the neck as well, or leave it be? I prefer it as it is now that I hit it with the 0000.. like fresh ice after a Zamboni hit it
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 04:23 AM
Hub

Do not finish the back of the neck with laquer! But a refinish of the area with the stress crack might be a good idea... It will probably put a lot of people off the way it looks now... I must say, the rest of the guitar looks fantastic!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 07:05 AM

i cant seem to get acess to the pictures....
anyway, whats the price your asking for??
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 04:27 AM

i can't access the pics either.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 05:28 AM

Reviews: 2

me neither.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 08:33 PM

7 month old links

Tags
jem 77fp floral

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode