91 JEM77FP Restoration - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 9
91 JEM77FP Restoration

Hey, just recently got my first JEM. This is the first time I've ever tried to restore a guitar.

It's not in great condition, but I am quite used to tidying up chips and cracks, which I've done with some success.

The maple neck, though, is really dark, nearly brown with muck. It's the right colour under the tuners and in the neck pocket, anyone any suggestions as to how I can work some of the gunk out? There's some really nasty black and brown hand gunk engrained in the neck.

Secondly, I'm considering selling this particular one, because it already looks way better than it did and it's worth a lot more than it was, but the pick guard is starting to fade a bit, and the pickups have faded to orange instead of the original pink. Is the guitar worth more with new replacements fitted with the originals included, or should I just leave as is?

It sounds awesome by the way! I was converted to JEMs by a '00 7VWH but that has nothing on this Floral!
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 06:11 PM

Re: 91 JEM77FP Restoration

pics?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boombatty View Post
pics?
Will add this evening when I get in
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 04:50 AM

Reviews: 2

He cant add pics, aint done enough posts. :-(
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyboy mills View Post
He cant add pics, aint done enough posts. :-(
Can I not link or html it?

Either way, it's literally brown instead of the bright, pale yellow it should be (and is under the tuners and in the neck pocket) anybody got any advice on how to return this to normal?

Have considered sanding it but I don't know if this will actually have the effect I want...

Thanks
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun111 View Post
Can I not link or html it?

Either way, it's literally brown instead of the bright, pale yellow it should be (and is under the tuners and in the neck pocket) anybody got any advice on how to return this to normal?

Have considered sanding it but I don't know if this will actually have the effect I want...

Thanks
Yeah, you can link it that will work.

Browse around in the Tech, repairs, and mods section and Im sure you will find something to give you some guidance.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun111 View Post
Hey, just recently got my first JEM. This is the first time I've ever tried to restore a guitar.

It's not in great condition, but I am quite used to tidying up chips and cracks, which I've done with some success.

The maple neck, though, is really dark, nearly brown with muck. It's the right colour under the tuners and in the neck pocket, anyone any suggestions as to how I can work some of the gunk out? There's some really nasty black and brown hand gunk engrained in the neck.

Secondly, I'm considering selling this particular one, because it already looks way better than it did and it's worth a lot more than it was, but the pick guard is starting to fade a bit, and the pickups have faded to orange instead of the original pink. Is the guitar worth more with new replacements fitted with the originals included, or should I just leave as is?

It sounds awesome by the way! I was converted to JEMs by a '00 7VWH but that has nothing on this Floral!
Thanks
I used the finest water sandpaper (without wetting) I could find on my '91 FP's neck to restore and clean the 18 year gunk off. When the neck is clean, turn the sandpaper over and buff the entire neck with the back of the sandpaper. (You'll need quite a bit of sandpaper as it's surface will fill up with gunk quite quickly...) The end result is a clean neck as smooth as a babes bottom with almost no wood removed -99% gunk though! Just take your time and make sure the sandpaper is as fine as possible!

Last edited by Zark77FP; 03-16-2010 at 06:32 AM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zark77FP View Post
I used the finest water sandpaper (without wetting) I could find on my '91 FP's neck to restore and clean the 18 year gunk off. When the neck is clean, turn the sandpaper over and buff the entire neck with the back of the sandpaper. (You'll need quite a bit of sandpaper as it's surface will fill up with gunk quite quickly...) The end result is a clean neck as smooth as a babes bottom with almost no wood removed -99% gunk though! Just take your time and make sure the sandpaper is as fine as possible!
Took your advice, now coated with Tung oil (about 3 layers) and it looks great! I've left it a little bit dark, because I don't want it to look brand new, but yeah, totally happy with the result, thanks.

Now I just needs to decide whther to keep the orangey brown original PAF Pro's, or put a new, pick set in... Problem is, the knobs haven't faded, and are still bright pink, so it looks a little odd.
I'm gunna put a pink cliplock on it and get a pink lead, lol, why not.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 11:45 AM

Leave it as original as possible.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Seems to be the concensus, lol thanks.

Same apply to chips in the paint etc? The guitar is actually in very good condition. I'll post pics someday, see what everybody thinks.

What I see as good condition may actually be very bad, lol, I've not encountered many early 90's JEMs.

Tags
jem floral neck cleaning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode