93 7vwh - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

93 7vwh

Is a 93vwh worth anymore than any other used 7vwh because it is a first year model?

http://electricguitarshop.com/cgi-bi...ml&product=116

Its my local music store, and he said he will take $1599 for it (and will probably charge tax on it, although I may be able to barter that off of the deal).....

I know the price seems high for a used one, but just wondering if the 93's are worth anymore cuz its a 93... I can make payments and take the guitar home, and just owe him the money, so thats another factor also....

Thoughts, opinions...

P.S. This dealer loves to use the "collector" term, and his prices are usually high...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 08:35 PM

Re: 93 7vwh

I dont know if its worth the price, but i would rather had a new one than an old one...I would imagine it would cost less, but maybe the guy is just trying burn someone.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 11:00 PM

I think its not a terribly bad deal if the place has a good rep. Also what the hell is refrigerator white? haha
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 07:21 AM

Hmmm interesting...not Aussie or Canadian? I can only tell you that it's about 12 years old...like mine.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 08:32 AM

People seem to attach the "collector" term to '93 VWHs because it was the first year the model was available. The guitar hasn't changed at all since '93 (aside from minor things such as fingerboard wood, having better inlays in the scallops and the new tremolo).

A mint '93 wouldn't be worth any more than a mint, used '05 model. Given the choice, I'd take the older one simply because of the LoPro.

Last edited by vaijem777; 03-12-2005 at 09:54 AM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 09:04 AM

some people seem to think ebony is better and thus more expensive...

in any case, id get an old one over a new one any day... (providing its in good shape)
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parker_fly
I think its not a terribly bad deal if the place has a good rep. Also what the hell is refrigerator white? haha

Yeah! I thought the same thing man. It's not exactly a good selling point when you advertise a guitar as 'Refrigerator White'!!?! There are so many nicer white things to compare the colour to if he feels he has to elaborate on plain white (which is what it is at the end of the day!).
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 11:30 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaijem777
People seem to attach the "collector" term to '93 VWHs because it was the first year the model was available. .
And simply because of this, they are worth more [but it's not much of a premium

Unfortunately 93's also have a gloss clearcoated neck which allot of people don't like.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 12:01 PM
Contributor

Reviews: 1
Thumbs up Re: 93 7vwh

I guess the best way to answer your question is to look at the values of the three '87 original Jem models.

They all seem to be worth a little more now - of course the numbered LNG's are REALLY worth more, but a clean original SK or DY or Floral are clearly destined to be real first year collector models.

Do any of us have a crystal ball? Nope. But an educated guess and a nod from a pro like Rich tells me that eventually any first year Jem will be worth a little more, as we've seen with Fenders, Gibsons, Martins, Charvels, Jacksons, Ricks....etc....

I'd buy it now.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 12:24 PM

It's as cheap or cheaper than an 05, has the Lo Pro Edge, and includes a pink lined UV1000 case. If you were planning on buying a new Jem anway, and if this one is close to perfect, it seems like a no brainer to me. --Jason
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Ya, hopefully I can work out some type of deal on it. I stayed up till 4am just browsing this site, and Vai's site, and I really want the thing now.

I dont think I can give up the Les Paul, although Im still toying with the idea in my brain. I dont have hardly any cash, but who knows...

Hey Mr guitar store owner, Ill give you $200 a month for 8 months.....That would be cool, although my wife will kill me.... He's a cool guy, and has let me get stuff like that before, but not of this magnatude...

Thanks a lot guys for your expertise....I really enjoyed surfing around Rich's site also...

Ill post later today, and let you guys know what happens. I am definateley going to go the store to at least play the thing...
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 02:03 PM

Years a year, Id rather get a new one = les likelyhood of
waprage
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 03:40 PM

If it's gone for twelve years without any problems there's no reason that it should suddenly start 'warping'. What's this 'warpage' thing anyway? I've got a '79 Gibson Flying V and it's never suffered from 'warpage' in all of it's 26 years. It plays like a dream!

I say if it's what you want and it plays nice go for it. I wouldn't buy it just because it's a '93 model, but if you prefer the Edge trems and an Ebony board go for it. It certainly looks like it's in good condition in the picture, and it will always have that little bit of extra cool because it's a 'first year' VWH, and some people (collectors)are always willing to pay that bit extra for great condition First Year examples of guitars.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 05:31 PM

i still think its a bit of a high price... talk him down as much as u can.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 03:06 PM

I wouldn't buy it. I'd prefer a new one. It may cost a bit and the necessary mods to the trem may have to be done but at least you know the guitar has no "hidden" flaws. Also, apart from the rosewood (which I like) the necks on new models are definitly better made and are far less likely to warp. But a new one costs €2500 over here and mods may be up to €500 (tremstter, stud mod, push/pull, etc. it all adds up) and that may exclude the case. If the guitar is good then get it, if not then don't. The guitar will have a gain in value in a while but there's no point if you don't play it, so look at it from the guitar angle rather than the collecting angle.

Tags
ebony board , edge trem , edge trems , fingerboard wood , les paul , local music store , music store , pro edge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

how to setup a jem 7vwh
will an original floyd rose fit into jem 7vwh?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode