Which!? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Question Which!?

Hey guys!

I'm looking in to settle down with a MAIN axe. I have an RGT42FM which is nice...but i just dont love the RGs as much as i thought. Too edgy in too many ways to fit me right. Its a good guitar tho. Ive played a couple JS1000s and i am completly in love. I'd get the 1200 tho, im a red guy. Well, the problem comes here.. i went to try it out again at GC and I found a Peavey EVH that has the carved top and red flamed maple top. Real real nice. Now... im not so sure. Ive played both and theyre both real nice. I know this is pretty much up to me, but id like to know opinions between the 2 if there are any. The JS was 1150 I believe and the EVH 1199 or something like that. Real close, and i could prolly get them down to a grand for each... Lemme know, id apreciate it alot. Thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 08:38 PM

Re: Which!?

I am personally not fond of the EVH. I actually find it to be quite ugly. But then, just IMO. I wouldn't think two times before buying the JS1200....
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 09:06 PM

If you want versatility and all the Ibanez shniznoz, go with the JS.

If you want to have fun, go with the EVH.

I don't know...the Peavey EVH always seemed like a "fun" guitar to me...big fat body, really nice neck shape, and a whammy bar that took a little force (compared to a Lo-Pro) to mash down. Plus the cool little headstock to top it off!
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 09:21 PM

I'm personally not wild about the JS line. They're nice, and Joe is great don't get me wrong. But I really dig the USA-made Wolfies. They're less versatile than the RGs, but I'm not aware of major differences between the JS and Wolfgangs in that regard. With the flamed-maple top, those guitars are beautiful.

I'm assuming from the price that the EVH is made in the US. If so, I'd go that-a-way.

Let us know what you decide.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 05:30 AM

I would go for the JS. Definitely the most comfortable body shape ever.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 06:07 AM

yeah the JS body shape IMO is the best. And that candy apple red *drools* yummy. But I'd say pick the one with the best neck shape for you, they are both excellent guitars.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 09:24 AM

Looks aside, here are my comparisons.

Electronics: JS has coil tap and high-pass filter, Wolfgang does not.

Bridge: JS has a recessed floyd, Wolfgang doesnot. The Wolfgang has a D Tuna, JS does not.

Pickups: Wolfgangs are direct mounted, JS are not.

Now as far as looks i loooooooooooooooooooooove flame maple (especially in red). The EVH has nicer aesthetic features for sure. I am ga ga over that birdseye maple neck.

Also, this will probably be the last year they make the Wolfgang so you might wanna grab one. The JS line ain't going nowhere!

They are both great guitars but just go with the one that FEELS the best. You will not be dissapointed either way.

Last edited by Kontalonis; 01-13-2005 at 12:20 PM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontalonis
JS has coil tap and high-pass filter, Wolfgang does not.
Ah, this I forgot.

Quote:
Are you sure? What are the JS pups mounted to?

Quote:
Also, this will probably be the last year they make the Wolfgang so you might wanna grab one.
Alas, they've already stopped production. They will be re-released with slightly different features and a different name. They are going through a slight rise in demand, albeit probably temporary, because of this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 09:39 AM

JS pickups are mounted in standard chrome humbucker mounting rings.

I believe 'multi radius' refers to the back of the JS neck, not the fretboard.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 12:11 PM

Wink Re: Which!?

Quote:
Looks aside, here are my comparisons.

Electronics: JS has coil tap and high-pass filter, Wolfgang does not.

Bridge: JS has a recessed floyd, Wolfgang doesnot. The Wolfgang has a D Tuna, JS does not.

Neck: JS has a multi-radius fretboard, if i can remember right the Wolfgang does not.

Now as far as looks i loooooooooooooooooooooove flame maple (especially in red). The EVH has nicer aesthetic features for sure. I am ga ga over that birdseye maple neck.

Also, this will probably be the last year they make the Wolfgang so you might wanna grab one. The JS line ain't going nowhere!

They are both great guitars but just go with the one that FEELS the best. You will not be dissapointed either way.
THe JS DOESN'T have a multi radiused FRETBOARD. I wish this misconception would move out of this world...

The back of the neck is multi radiused...THE FRETBOARD IS A NORMAL CYLINDER...
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 12:19 PM

Cool Re: Which!?

Wow bud, i stand corrected, don't chop my head off. The only reason i thought it was the fingerboard is because i have a warmoth neck with multi radius fingerboard. Never heard of a multi radius neck profile. Must play good :-D Sorry man!

Well as you can see by my nearly accurate comparison ;-) The JS is way more versatile but the Wolfgang is more of a collection item. Your decision!

Also, if you buy the JS from Guitar Center it is NOT going to have locking studs. This may cause some tuning instability. It is a quick fix though because Rich (www.ibanezrules.com) sells the parts you need.

Personally i would get the wolfgang. You can always get a radius series (same body as the js) for $250-350 and switch the pickups.

Last edited by Kontalonis; 01-13-2005 at 12:26 PM.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 12:37 PM

The "collectability" of the Wolfgang is a bit of a red herring, because the market has been FLOODED with these over the years. The Ernie Ball EVH models went up in value because they're more scarce and were produced for a much shorter time. But unless you can foretell the future, buying a guitar based on "future collector value" is a gamble. You'd be better off buying bonds if you want to increase the value of your money.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren wilson
JS pickups are mounted in standard chrome humbucker mounting rings.
Duh, oh yeah.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Wow bud, i stand corrected, don't chop my head off. The only reason i thought it was the fingerboard is because i have a warmoth neck with multi radius fingerboard. Never heard of a multi radius neck profile. Must play good :-D Sorry man!
Was not intended personally... but I think it benefits Ibanez that this "multi radius neck" is misunderstood as a "multi radius fretboard".

I read almost everywhere the statement that the JS has a multi radius fretboard. THIS SHOULD STOP. Because its false

I own nothing but Ibanez JS's and I love them...and if you want a Multi-radius fretboard you will have to let it radiused. Cost a lot of money around 200 (done with a machine not by hand) and then you need a refret cause the frets are pulled.

Btw THe JS's greatly benefit from a fret dress... Rich ibanezrules.com offers this as a plus on the guitars he sells and he did a great job with mine...cool

( ;

Tags
birdseye maple neck , body shape , candy apple red , coil tap , darren wilson , ernie ball , flame maple , flamed maple , locking stud , locking studs , maple neck , neck shape , warmoth neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode