AANJ vs. Older Jem Neck Joint - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2002, 01:48 AM Thread Starter

AANJ vs. Older Jem Neck Joint

Is there a significant playability difference between an AANJ and the older Jem Neck Joints? I would like to buy an older Jem, but without playing the regular joint, I wouldn't know how comfortable it is.

My 7dbk has an AANJ - how would that compare to the older joint of a Jem777vbk?

Thanx,
Peter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2002, 05:13 AM

I have small hands and I find it very dificult to play the top 5 or 6 frets of a guitar with the old style neck joint. I have to bend my wrist alot and that's very unwise and even then I still can't really reach the top 2 frets unless I almost totally unhook my thumb!! I can widdle away on the top frets to my hearts content with my AANJ guitars though without any bother at all
Definitely try a few old style neck joint guitars before paying for one (especially if you have small hands like me)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2002, 09:21 AM

I also have relatively small hands and have a harder time negotiating the neck joint on non-AANJ guitars. All my current guitars have the AANJ except for my RB and UV-MC.

One thing I didn't expect... I have less of an issue with the old-style neck joint when the neck is thicker. I had a Jem with a wizard neck and the old-style neck joint, and it was harder to navigate than a Jem with a thicker neck (RB) and the old-style neck joint. I have no idea why.

Interestingly, I also have a harder time negotiating the neck joint on Jems than I do on UVs! Or maybe that's just because I don't spend as much time on the high frets when I'm playing 7-string.

--B
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2002, 09:22 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
to me, the old necks have a superior feel in every way to the new ones (VWH to present). The trade-off is what was posted above, in accessing the upper frets
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2002, 05:32 PM
rvj

I completely prefer the AANJ. I own a '87 DY and a '91 UVMC with the older style neck joints. They both have excellent playability with the exception of the upper frets. It seems more noticeable on the DY as opposed to the UVMC. When I go to solo on the DY, the square block on the body seems like a major obstacle. On the UVMC it does'nt seem that big of a deal, probably because the neck is wider throughout. Besides, I've only played the UVMC twice, so that's not a good comparison. When I compare the playability with my 90 HAM, 7VWH, or DNA, soloing is much easier with the aanj. Play a few before you make your decision, it's a matter of personal preference. --rvj
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2002, 02:40 AM

all access

defanantly the newer guitars have better technoligy and its easy to access the lowest parts of the neck but the older recesed type neck joint was such a unique part of the jem series.they only put it on jems and a few custom series guitars.I would base your descision on the condition of the guitars you are compairing and not the neck joint.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2002, 10:57 AM

Yes, the AANJ is easier to play, but just holding one of the older JEMS with the heel joint that they don't make anymore will put a on your
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2002, 12:54 PM

It's funny, I don't have what I would consider big hands, and I don't really find any easier access to the upper frets with the AANJ. In fact, i prefer the feel of the old style neck joint. especially on the Universe. There is just something about that meaty feeling, it never made me feel limited or anything, it just felt better to me. Maybe I'm strange, but it hasn't affected my playing at all
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2002, 02:42 PM

LGM: i don't find it strange at all! my uv has a the old style joint while my rg has the aanj, and it really doesn't make a big difference (to me, of course).
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 05:15 PM

im with you guys

i got an FP and a BFP, and i love em! (prefer em to my UV777BK with AAJ) no problems with access at all thanx to that nice dipped lower horn, a cosmetic feature on all jems, past and present

Rob
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 11:26 PM

Well, I have fairly large hands/fingers (to tell you the truth..when I met Vai..his hands were no bigger than mine ) and all my guitars have original neck joints...including my Jem77FP...

My friend has an RG270 with an AANJ, and the thing has no restrictions what so ever...now it's no problem for me with the original neck joint...it's possibly more supportive...but the AANJ feels as if there's "nothin' but neck"

Nick
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 04:12 PM

The only thing I don't like with the AANJ is that they left too much wood in the upper frets on my 10th. I can see an advantage if you've got small hands. Like can't do a 2nd to 10th stretch on the G string...

Euph
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 08:32 AM

I think the AANJ is a great progress forplayers with "sausage fingers" (like me)
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 09:04 AM

Fun thing is that they already made guitars with an AANJ when they started making JEMs...my '87 maxxas's got one...just try to imagine what I'm suggesting here...

Tags
high frets , jem neck , neck joint , neck joints , upper fret , upper frets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode