AARRGGHH... my Jems rustin - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

AARRGGHH... my Jems rustin

the black screws on the nut are rusted (they are sticking too), some of the pickguard screws are rusting and the bridge is tarnishing. the things only 2 months old and the inspection cards says it was minted in may. is this normal and can i fix it myself?

(its a 7V wh btw)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 05:52 PM

Re: AARRGGHH... my Jems rustin

Maybe you better stop playing it under water

Seriously, NO, it isn't normal for the screws to rust after only two months. I have a 2000 model that's been very traveled and there is still no rust at all on any of the screws. Maybe they used old screws at the factory??

Order some new ones from Rich They are quite inexpensive. You could also try some rust away type product, but you'll probably have to re-paint them.

The pick guard screws should be gold plated. Doesn't make sense that they would rust.

And what to you mean the bridge is tarnishing? You mean the gold plating is wearing?? Do your hands sweat a lot??
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 06:33 PM

Like Jim said get some new ones from Rich .

Regards

André

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 06:34 PM

do you have over abundant amount of humidity in Ireland?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 07:01 PM

I know the sweat from my hands does a real number on my bridges and their hardware. So I have to constantly wipe my bridge, strings and whatever else as soon as I finish playing or it will start. I also use a light coat of lube on everything as well. And as pointed out above HUMIDITY!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 07:05 PM

I would not buy anything for a 2 month old jem. Go back to the dealer and have him figure it out. Its not a $300 guitar.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 01:24 AM

get a "hygrometer", that measures the amount of humidity in your house. If it's over 45-50% you'll need to get a "de-humidifier", which removes moisture from your air. It's never over 45% in my house and nothing rusts.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 02:06 AM

My hands sweat like a leaking faucet. I find I have to continually wipe my guitar down while playing, even then I get some rust on the upper pickguard screws (where the paint has worn off).
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 03:05 AM

that happens to mine here in australia all the time , i have to put a light covering of oil if im leaving them on the stands for any amount of time, a little oil once in a while does the trick for me
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 03:10 AM Thread Starter

the thing lives in its case unless its in my hands. yes my hands do seem to sweat alot.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 02:30 PM

Maybe you have moisture in the case.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 02:41 PM

Get some of packages of drying agent, and place them in the case. You can leave them there and just change them out from time to time.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2006, 06:40 AM

Humidity can get in the case as well. That's why whenever you get a new case, bag, whatever ,they have packs of silica gel inside. Most people throw them away, but i always keep them in the cases. Ireland is not an arid climate, and sweat usually has your body oil in it. So that much rust from sweat doesn't seem realistic to me. I still think you should get a hygrometer to measure your humidity as it's probably too high. High humidity can also make you sweat more too.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2006, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR-MAN View Post
So that much rust from sweat doesn't seem realistic to me.
It's the salt in the sweat, not so much the water itself. Just like salting the roads in the winter, the salt is what rots your care. People produce it at different levels so some may not have any problems and people like me need to do a preventive clean up at the end of every session.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2006, 07:51 PM

I don't understand the climate thing. I have central A/C and Heat. Sure the humidity changes, but not to the extent it would cause premature oxidation.

We expeirance all four seasons here. It's Wet, Dry, Hot, Cold, Humid,100 degrees, 10 degrees, etc.

I never have a problem with oxidation. Some people sweat acid...I think.

Some of the newer Ibanez hardware doesn't seem as durable to me.
I've worn clean through the cosmo pup rings on my 2006 prestige. They are now mostly chrome. My 16 yr old Ibanez doesn't show near the wear. I've had that guitar for 16 years and have played it alot more, obiviously. I had another 2006 prestige (same model) and the pup rings held up much better, go figure.

Maybe it's a crap shoot. I don't know.

I do take care of my guitars. Though, I'm not too fanatical?

SO yeah... get some new screws or take it back. If your happy with the rest of the guitar. I wouldn't send it back to Ibanez for rusty screws. If whomever you bought it from is a good Ibanez "dealer", they will order new screws for you, free of charge and without sending the guitar out.

One last thing...cut back on your sodium intake.

Tags
pickguard screws

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode