about action.. - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 04:58 AM Thread Starter

about action..

hey guys!

i finally got my very own jem7vwh2003!!!!!

..BUT..

my guitar has buzzing sound on 6th and 5th strings..

i think it is wether the action's problem or neck but i think it is action's fault..

how high are your guitars action?

and how can i adjust it?

by the way my action on 6th string at 14th fret is about 2mm..

is it high?

if it's my neck's fault, then what should i do? i worked on my neck and ot still had buzz..

PLEASE HELP ME~~!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 05:32 AM

2mm's on the 14th fret? Sounds a little high to me... There's always going to be a little bit of buzz if you want your guitar to play fluidly. Try playing all of the frets on the 5th and 6th strings, where does it buzz? equal on all frets? If so then your bridge is probably too low, if its buzzing only in say frets 1 to 5 or 1 to 7 then you might need to adjust the truss rod a little.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

my buzz is on alomost every frets up to 12 and a little afterwards..

what should i do to lower the action while getting no buzzing sound?
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 08:25 AM

if you want no buzz youre going to have to raise the action lots, most guitarists set their guitars up to have some sort of a happy medium btw how much buzz they can cope with and string height. You cannot lower the action to reduce buzz

but having said that, if you lower the action enough what you'll get is what satch likes to call string compression, where you wont actually hear a buzz but it totally kills the tone and feels like the guitar you are playing is actually dead. I'm sure there are people on this forum who can explain this concept much better than i can (i just spent the last ten minuites trying to type out an explination but it wasn't making much sense ) but at the end of the day... you dont want this compression deal on your guitar.

i recommend you take it to a pro and get it checked out, then when you go pick it up ask detailed questions about wat was wrong, how they fixed it etc.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 01:02 PM

I've never heard of string compression, where do you read about that? I would love to learn about it myself.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 01:06 PM
Vendor

Just wind the action down to 1.5m to 1mm and you'll start to experience it

Tags
truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode