About JEM555 (again) - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 05:31 AM Thread Starter

About JEM555 (again)

Hi,

Im new in this forum and already I have a guestion. Situation is like this:
I had and 4x12 for sale for almost 6 months already. Now Ive got an opportunity to switch it to 555 (2001, with lo trsII). Ive never had any thoughts about actually buying this guitar. Ive read some not too promising reviews about it. Basicly the guitar I was looking for was rg550, but havent been able to get a trade. Is this 555 so horrible to play that you cant talk about it and JEM7V in same room?

I was thinking that maybe I would give a try to 555 and see if it fits for me and then maybe get real evo someday. I think that 555 would be acceptable f. ex my daughters first guitar if I dont need it anymore. Is the "touch" anywhere near the same with EVO. Ive understood that the neck profile is the same and the pickups are same. Is it true that lo trs stays in tune when correctly adjusted or is this just hype of 555 owners?

Tried the search already but couldnt get the whole picture.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 05:48 AM

Reviews: 65
Re: About JEM555 (again)

And again:

User the Search function it has been discussed to death!

Short summary for peace sake:
- No the 555 is nowhere near the 7vwh and they should not be played in the same room
- Will the 555 play? Yes it will, but at the same level as an RG320 or worse
- Is the RG550 the better guitar? -> YES
- Is any RG Prestige better? -> YES
- Is RG XXXX prestige used for 500 bucks better than my 555? -> YES
- Will the lo-trs II keep in tune? -> Nowhere near any good EP or Edge but if handled carefully and with not to wild usage it will.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank View Post
And again:

User the Search function it has been discussed to death!

Short summary for peace sake:
- No the 555 is nowhere near the 7vwh and they should not be played in the same room
- Will the 555 play? Yes it will, but at the same level as an RG320 or worse
- Is the RG550 the better guitar? -> YES
- Is any RG Prestige better? -> YES
- Is RG XXXX prestige used for 500 bucks better than my 555? -> YES
- Will the lo-trs II keep in tune? -> Nowhere near any good EP or Edge but if handled carefully and with not to wild usage it will.
its far better than a 320 lol, thats just stupidity on your part, the 555 aint a bad guitar at all, just the guitar snobs seem to hate it
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 07:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by postofficebuddy View Post
its far better than a 320 lol, thats just stupidity on your part, the 555 aint a bad guitar at all, just the guitar snobs seem to hate it

Guitar snobs? On Jemsite?

shhhhh, I ain't naming names, but, you're right.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 02:28 PM

well i totally dont agree with the person saying that its like a rg320 because i have played a jem 555 that totally destroyed most other ibanezes... seriously... with a proper set up the playability on this thing is awesome... or at least i thought so
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techdeath16 View Post
well i totally dont agree with the person saying that its like a rg320 because i have played a jem 555 that totally destroyed most other ibanezes... seriously... with a proper set up the playability on this thing is awesome... or at least i thought so
i agree, the edge 2/3 (not sure which one) they put on it works great, i have an RG08ltd with an edge 3 and it never goes out of tune, the evolutions on the 555 sound awesome, and do give you a vai sound imo. i really hate people who dismiss this guitar as a piece of ****, yeah its a lower scale guitar to the jem but so what, people who buy a 555 dont buy it for the guitars sake, they buy cos there vai fans who cant afford to spend a tonne on a guitar.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 03:54 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0iq9LYQA1U

this guy is using a jem 555 and sounds much better than any videos ive seen of people on here, im pretty sure he doesnt care if its a 555 or 7vwh, its about the player not the instrument
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0iq9LYQA1U

this guy is using a jem 555 and sounds much better than any videos ive seen of people on here, im pretty sure he doesnt care if its a 555 or 7vwh, its about the player not the instrument
Nah, it's all about the instrument. It's much easier to buy a new guitar than to sit there and practice

I've always thought the 555 sounds great, it's Evo's in basswood like a JEM10 and I love that sound. BUT the fact of the matter is that on average the higher spec'd JEMs stay in tune better and tend to have a better playability. That's not to say that a well set up 555 isn't a superb instrument, because it is
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Nah, it's all about the instrument. It's much easier to buy a new guitar than to sit there and practice

I've always thought the 555 sounds great, it's Evo's in basswood like a JEM10 and I love that sound. BUT the fact of the matter is that on average the higher spec'd JEMs stay in tune better and tend to have a better playability. That's not to say that a well set up 555 isn't a superb instrument, because it is
its not "all" about the instrument, ive seen satch play a s h i t strat copy and sound great, the instrument is a big part of it of course, my point is, listen to how good the tone was, and the pick ups sounded great, not bad for a piece of crap (as most here call it).

im pretty sure its a masculinity thing, scared of being inferior to the other males here, maybe someone should look into that
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I think that was sarcasm..

I played last night using my very old and battered RG450 with a block heel... no problems there...
although I have to say, it has an original edge on it and the TRS trems are pretty crappy..

I dont deal with them very often but if I do a setup on a TRS trem guitar I know its going to take longer to get tuning stability.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
its not "all" about the instrument, ive seen satch play a s h i t strat copy and sound great, the instrument is a big part of it of course, my point is, listen to how good the tone was, and the pick ups sounded great, not bad for a piece of crap (as most here call it).

im pretty sure its a masculinity thing, scared of being inferior to the other males here, maybe someone should look into that
I can go and splash a couple of grand on a new guitar, easier than I can find a couple of hours to sit down in one go and learn a song. I'm a guitar fan these days, not a guitar player.

Thus for me (and a lot of the guys here) it's all about the instrument.
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
I think that was sarcasm..
If only it were, my friend, if only it were
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 04:44 PM

why is the 555 so hated then? plays good, looks fairly good (if you compare it to the 7v), much cheaper aswell.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 04:46 PM

The 555 is what it is, a Korean guitar that looks like a Jem. If you absolutely need a guitar with half a vine and a handle,buy one, but you can easily find better quality guitars for less money.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
The 555 is what it is, a Korean guitar that looks like a Jem. If you absolutely need a guitar with half a vine and a handle,buy one, but you can easily find better quality guitars for less money.
people who buy it though dont nececeraly care about the great quality of it, its gonna be good considering the price and the fact ibanez make it, and endorsed by steve vai, not as great as the 7vh but its still part of the jem family regardless and should be talked about with less disgust imo
Closed Thread

Tags
jem555

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode