About neck - Wich is the best neck on JEM - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2002, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

About neck - Wich is the best neck on JEM

first, sorry for my english.

I would like to know which neck is the best on jem guitars.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2002, 09:39 AM

About neck

Welcome to the forum!

The question you are asking is impossible to answer. Some like apples, some like oranges.
I got a JEM with the original profile as well as one with the wizard neck. I love them both and I can't decide which one is my favorite.

In addition to the neck profile you also have to consider fretboard wood, fret type and neck joint.

The perfect configuration can only be determined by yourself and if you asked all forum members you would end up with close to 3000 different answers.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2002, 11:53 AM

About neck

Salem is right, it is mainly up to the players personal taste. *Although I can say I have noticed many to be in favor of the neck on the JemVWH. *I think many favor the neck on this model because of its ebony fretboard (compared to the rosewood of most other jems) and its smooth abalone vine inlay. *From what I hear, and the specs ive seen, many love the neck on the fabled Jem10 anniversary model as well.

I have a 7DBK myself, and it has a super wizard neck (slightly thinner profile than the VWH) and a rosewood fretboard. *I think the guitar plays like a dream when set up properly, but as Salem was saying.......its up to you. *The DBK could play like crap to some, but like butter to others.

(Edited by Guitarlos2 at 11:55 am on Jan. 29, 2002)
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2002, 12:15 PM

About neck

Bienvenue

This is all down to taste. Personally I don't like really thin necks like the Wizard and Wizard 2. *I prefer the slightly thicker profile of the original Jem neck shape.
As Salem said, the perfect combination of profile, fretboard and frets can only be decided upon by yourself. Even then you will have the added questions of finish, inlays etc etc. Try as many as possible and enjoy finding out which suits you best.

Matt
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2002, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

About neck

thx for all, i was just wondering if there is a big big difference between super wizard (7DBK) and jem neck (all access, like 7vwh and 555).

I ordered a jem7vwh, i didn t try it before,
but i tried the 7 dbk, 7bsb and the 555.
so i was just wondering! :)

the delay sucks! (i ve to wait 1 month to get my jem7vwh)

thx again.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2002, 06:33 PM

About neck

:frog:

Welcome here, mate ! I'm from Mâcon, if you see what I mean

Prefered neck ? You'll never know untill it's in your hands !!!

I'm currently looking for a 6 strings sister to my PWH, cause its neck is the most fantastic I've ever played. The easyest, though with 7 strings...

And I'm glad I'll not be anymore the only one to make english mistakes :rotf:
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2002, 10:45 PM

About neck

Well, im not sure about the 555 (the thing stinks anyway) *but there really isnt a HUGE difference between the profiles of the necks on the JemVWH vs Jem 7DBK. *The super wizard on the DBK is slightly thinner, I believe by 2 mm at the 1st fret. *Some feel this is a huge difference, and others do not. *Its up to the individual. *Plus, the DBK has a strip of bubinga wood in the back of the neck for added strength and support. *Hence why its called a super wizard, and not just wizard.

Also, keep in mind, the VWH jem neck is ebony, and the DBK is rosewood.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2002, 12:30 AM

About neck

I personally prefer the profiles on the old jem necks, like the floral or the DSY SK and LNGs. I'm not much a fan of the newer neck profiles, I find them a little too flat for my liking. But in the end it's all ice cream!

The profiles on my floral and 90th are a world of difference when tested side by side!

Chris.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2002, 01:44 AM

About neck

Quote:
FrenchJemlover on 7:50 am on Jan. 29, 2002
first, sorry for my english.

I would like to know which neck is the best on jem guitars.

thanks

When it comes to guitar necks, the only appropriate answer to which is the best is,

Whatever one feels best to you. *I love my VWH neck, but I also love my FP, DY and SK. *I hate the DBK, but some people love it huge amounts! *so, the bottom line is, if you order guitars with never having played them, you have a 50% chance of loving them, and 50% chance of hating them. *I ordered my VWH with never having played one, and I love it.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2002, 06:51 AM

About neck

Quote:
littlegreenman on 7:44 am on Jan. 30, 2002

if you order guitars with never having played them, you have a 50% chance of loving them, and 50% chance of hating them.
Does this apply if I order a girlfriend too?
If it does, I'd go for it. 50% chance for love is 49% more than normal...
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2002, 09:36 AM

About neck

I reckon the best Jem neck is mine(BSB)! But welshpete's comes close(DY) :biggrin:
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2002, 03:08 PM

About neck

My Jem7vwh sounds and is a bit beefier than my JEM90HAM *because of the thickness. They're both very playable ofcourse, but the 7 sounds better it think...(together with the Alder)
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2002, 03:19 PM

About neck

I like my 7v necks. The feel of those necks is part of the reason the 7v is my al time favorite guitar.
I've got an orignal wizzard, which is cool, had a 7DBK which I really coulnd't get into. And I had a 7BSB for a little while, which felt very ok to me.
And I've played a 555 in a local shop here, and I just loved that neck, very 7v like. So sue me
Maybe a lucky one-off....
Back when I had a JS-1000, I really liked that neck too, but it was just a touch to big for me.
The guy who I bought my 7v from had some kind of american made prs I think it was, and that neck was like a baseball bat. Just huge. I couldn't play that thing. And a collegue of mine has a Patrick Eggle, horrable.... *Looks great, sounds super, I just can't play it.
I guess I'm spoiled, huh?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2002, 07:58 AM

About neck

I like the neck profile of the VWH the best -- its still considered a very thin neck but it has more bulk to it than a wizard. *Although I feel the wizard is an incredibly good neck, it lacks the solid feel of the jem neck. *Instead of wailing out on the guitar I find myself playing the fastest stuff I know on my friends RG570. *There will be people out there who like thin necks, and people who like thick ones. *I don't think many people can truly enjoy both...because the way your hand is positioned is just too different. *On my friends PRS Santana SE, I can't play a thing so everytime I play I just get pissed off and tell him that his guitar is a useless piece of garbage. *Then he picks it up and plays something cool while I just keep repeating to myself "i wish I had my jem here".

Tags
abalone vine , ebony fretboard , fretboard wood , jem neck , neck joint , neck shape , patrick eggle , rosewood fretboard , super wizard neck , vwh jem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode