Accident!!! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-28-2003, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Accident!!!

Ok, my 7VWH is going through some tough times. My daughter sat on her and cracked her neck. Now it may not seem like much, but she was new to our household and will be away for a few days getting fixed.
Damn having kids is tough sometimes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-28-2003, 06:27 PM

ouch. i scared myself this morning when my SG fell over backwards. they are renowned for the headstock snapping off, and i was so relieved when all that had happened was it was knocked out of tune
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-28-2003, 06:47 PM

Re: Accident!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxcreaturexxx
Now it may not seem like much, but she was new to our household and will be away for a few days getting fixed.
Who, the guitar or your daughter?

I dropped an amp on the first guitar I ever owned *sigh* It was only a little cheapie nylon string, but [insert sentimental rant here].
post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-28-2003, 07:47 PM

I feel your pain, I remember when my UV777 fell off the stand, and smashed the volume pot. When is heard the crack sound, I thought for sure that something serious had happened. Mental images of me picking up my UV in 2 pieces came to mind. I almost cried.
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-28-2003, 09:14 PM

I have always been extremely meticulous when it comes to my gear. I always wash my hands before playing any of my guitars and wipe the strings off when I am done. I never let them sit around for anything to happen to them. They either get placed into a stand or back into the case. About 2 weeks ago, I saw a little paint chip in the headstock of my Takamine acoustic and it has bugged the **** out of me trying to figure out how it happened Its very tiny, so its not noticeable, but still, I know its there. I am saying this because I couldnt imagine having the neck broke or the head breaking off, thats gotta hurt. My cousin has a Martin D-28, oh, Id say around 1970-1975 and he lets his kids play with it all the time, I have seen them standing on the body of this guitar before and it just killed me that he didnt say anything to them. But beleive it or not, that Martin still plays very well and the intonation still seems to be right on, I dont see how! I have a 1940 Martin D-18 that sits in the case with the tension off of the strings because I never play it. It has alot os sentimental value, It was my grandfathers and has been handed down through the generations.
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-28-2003, 10:01 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddie
I have a 1940 Martin D-18 that sits in the case with the tension off of the strings because I never play it. It has alot os sentimental value,
And about $7500-$15,000 in real value depending on the condition
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-28-2003, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
Quote:
I have a 1940 Martin D-18 that sits in the case with the tension off of the strings because I never play it. It has alot os sentimental value,
Can I have it?
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-28-2003, 11:11 PM

I have always been anal about my guitars, so this little anecdot was one of the worst days for me, as a guitar owner:
I remember once, walking into my bedroom, and nonchalantly throwing my keys on the bed.
Just as the keys left my hand I glanced over towards the bed.
I forgot that I had left my guitar there that morning.
All I could do was stand there and wait (for what seemed like an eternity)
for the keys to hit my guitar.
And of course they did.
Knocked a nice little chip out of the face of my little baby......

Still, two years later I traded it in, and the guy was amazed at the condition of the guitar.
He actually asked me if I had really played it.........
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-28-2003, 11:25 PM

I've had SO many stupid knocks and bumps happen to my Ibanez Mystery Acoustic (so called because I have no idea what model it is, it has f-holes and a floating pickguard but is a standard flattop, with flame maple back and abalone dot markers). Yet no matter how many times it falls off the stand, or a Star Wars figure falls on it, or, just like you, I turf my keys at it by mistake, it doesn't have a single scratch or mark. It's unstoppable. This ultra-durable cyber guitar will rule us all, Terminator style.
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I figured it was worth somewhere in that price range. It is in great condition considering its age. Its all origional except for the tuners. Its a crying shame that it has such sentimental value to it because I would probably sell it, but I dont think I could bring myself to do it. I dont ever play it so it just lays there in the case.[/img]
post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightmeir
Quote:
Quote:
Can I have it?

Umm, give me a little time to think about it..........TIMES UP!!

NO!
post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 12:59 AM
rvj

My daughter broke the neck off my Ovation with a little help from my wife. I remember buying the guitar from G.C. on a Saturday just before they closed. As I got into the car, I looked at my watch and it was 7:00pm.
The very next day my wife decided to move my guitar for whatever reason. It was in a hardshell case and she stood it on end... vertically. A split second afterwards my not quite three year old daughter walked by and decided to touch the case. It fell face down and as it hit the floor, it made a loud slapping sound. I took it out of the case to see if there was any damage and the neck heel was completely separated from the body. The only thing holding it together was the portion of fretboard that extends over the body. The strings were now about an inch above the fretboard. I looked at my watch and it was 7:01pm. I've owned the thing for exactly 24 hours and it was trashed.

Needless to say, the next day I took advantage of G.C.'s no hassle return policy.
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 07:09 AM

Chips and dents may lessen resale value, but they become little personalities in themselves.

Look at Vai's Evo, Satriani's chrome, Stevie Ray Vaughans Strat the list goes on. Each well loved guitar could tell a million more stories than one that is polished and cocooned.

It's great to know some people are collecting guitars and keeping them in mint condition, it preserves a little history for everyone. That works for some people, just not me personally.

Every guitar I buy I look after as best I can, but if it scratches or gets the occasional ding then I don't mind. Keeping a guitar pristine when you want to play it, is far too much hard work.

Tony
post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 07:41 AM

I was travelling with my band in a van with a little truck composition => (i don't think this is right).

All instruments are i the truck (bass, drumm, percs, amps, 3 guitars, wears, lights, etc).

The driver was the only one that was woke up and driving (sure). So we heard a loud "Bump !".

The driver lost controll because one tire was gonne.

When we stop me and the bass player just can think collecting the pieces of our gear and amps on the road. But all things are rigth and nothing happens. Thanks God.
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 03:26 PM

That reminds me of a good story. When I was 19, my band played at an outdoor festival style gig. It was Saturday night, the middle of summer, lots of people, tons of beer, etc. Had a great time and stayed to party after. We loaded up the bass player's (mom's) station wagon and had to tie the rear door closed and tie a couple of drums to the roof 'cause all our gear wouldn't fit. As we were getting ready to leave, we noticed that the rope that we tied the rear door shut with formed an upside down pentagram. Kind of spooky, but funny so nobody thought much about it. Halfway home the bass player flipped the car and it burned. We had to cut the ropes and start throwing the amps, guitars and drums out the back while it was on fire!! Fortunately no one got seriously hurt, and we only lost the drum throne and a bag with all our cables and pedals in it. My amp head was beat pretty bad, but it still worked. Crazy huh?

Tags
amp head , clear coat , cliplock strap , cliplock straps , darren wilson , flame maple , guitar body , near mint condition , ray vaughan , rich warlock , sounding guitar , stevie ray , stevie ray vaughan , strap lock , strap locks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode