Action height - does mine need adjusting? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2001, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Action height - does mine need adjusting?

lo all.

ok, i got me jem a lil while back. the action is a bit higher than me strat which i had b4, and its beginning to bug me! so i was wondering if i could comopaire with some of u guys.
  • at 1st fret just under 2mm from the fret board to the bottom of the string
  • at 12 about 3.5mm
  • at 24 this dont really count cos of scallops its 5mm

is this higher than most peoples? what are the pros and cons of high and low?

and how would i go about lowering the action on this
??

cheers

Al M
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2001, 07:51 PM
Vendor

Action height

Action is measured from the *top* of the fret to the *bottom* of the string, I'd remeasure if you're looking for responces.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2001, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Action height

ammendments:

1st fret 1mm

12th jus under 2mm

24th 2.5mm
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2001, 09:49 PM

Action height

That is high, my guitars all measure just under 1mm at the 12th fret and just over 1mm at the 24th fret. *The action is very close to the same all along the neck. *You may need to do a slight neck adjustment to achieve this, but 2mm at the 12th fret is very high. *One thing you may run into is the trem sitting to far in the body, and not being able to pull up, or even not being able to dive very far. *If that happens, you will have to remove the neck, and put a shim in it to tip it back a little further. *This allows you to raise the trem, but keep the action lower. *make sure the neck is straight, if anything it *should have the slightest of forward bows to it. *NEVER a back bow or you'll have fret buzz constantly, to create a forward bow, you need to loosen the truss rod off slightly. *Play the guitar measure the action and adjust it until you are happy.

Jeremy
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 12:32 PM

Action height

And don't forget to check out the tech section here. It tells you all you need to know plus a little more
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Action height

yer i recon its a bit high. those are quite rough measurements, tomorrow im getting som calipers so i can give a much more accurate measurement

cheers anyhoo

Al M
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 04:40 PM

Action height

action height is personal preference.
if it feels good, play it. *I like a higher action than most.
the action that most people like, i think is dreadful - i can't grab onto any strings to bend them - they just slide off.

Just make sure that once you find the right height for YOU, lock down your trem posts. *There's more about this in he tech section.

~Kenny
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 09:14 PM
JFT

Action height

Hi,
I'm still learning to correctly adjust my Jem and I was taken abash by littlegreenman answer which stated that his strings were roughly 1mm at both the 12 and 24 frets?

Is it possible to have such a low action WITHOUT buzz on a Jem? I mean no perceptible buzz even not amplify?

Any of you concerned about buzz with no amp that are not too perceptible when amplified or are you all setting up for no buzz???

Thanks for any clarification. Before seeing this post I had my action quite high (about 3.5 mm at the 24 fret and 3mm at the 12 frets to avoid any buzz...) after reading it I spent quite a while to lower it *to 1.7 mm at 24 and 1.5 at the 12 fret but this buzz like crazy. Am I missing something or is it normal.

The Tech section is great but it doesn't provide any idea about how low the action can be adjusted without buzz on a Jem.

Thanks for any insights...

JFT

P.S. My measurements are from top of the fret to bottom of the strings

(Edited by JFT at 9:15 pm on Jan. 1, 2002)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 11:44 PM
Vendor

Action height

LGM's measurements sound like high E measurements to me, but it is possibly to take the low side that low. IMO it chokes the strings so much tone suffers immensely. On a Jem 2 - 2.5 low E at the 24th is pretty standard. If it's too buzzy at this height I'd suggest a string brand change to Markleys or DR's as they are much less buzzy strings than say D'Addario's.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 12:11 AM

Action height

it was high E, sorry for not being clear
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 12:11 AM
JFT

Action height

Thanks for the info! I'll try that.

I'm currently using DM Blue Steel strings .009-.042

JFT
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 12:15 AM
Vendor

Action height

Those are about as buzz free a set as you'll get.

Tags
fret board , fret buzz , steel strings , truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode