Actually considering letting my JEM go - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Actually considering letting my JEM go

I could really use some input from you guys. It's been troubling me over the last couple of weeks.

I have a 99 JEM7VWH with the ebony board. It was one of those guitars I just had to have, and I got one back in 2005 while I was still a poor college student. I skipped meals, outing with friends and scored a very good deal on it ($1330). It still had shrink wraps on the pick guard! I thought to myself "I'd never sell this". Ironic, considering the title of this thread.

I've begun to think that there just isn't a whole lot of personality in the sound of the JEM. It's a bit hard for me to say this, but these days it just sounds very generic to me. I really started thinking this way when I got my Lonestar Special 1x12 lately. I use to run my jem through a RK modded DS-1 -> Rocktron Chameleon -> return channel on a crappy ibanez bandit 1x12. There was a lot of stuff I could do to shape my sound because of the chameleon. The delay, chorus, and 2 stage EQ on it made it pretty versatile. I still think the Chameleon is the best sounding digital box ever made, but since my switch to a tube amp I'm really going for an all analog setup.

Since my switch to a tube amp though, I took out the chameleon and just run my DS-1 straight into the amp. Suddenly, I found that the raw sound of the JEM to be lackluster. There's nothing particularly wrong with it, but just flat.

To make a comparison here, I also have an 84 Japanese strat, rosewood board, with lace sensor gold PUs. I run it into the same setup, the sound is just has that extra personality to it. Then again, I always loved the strat's twangy sound. It was pretty much what I got out of it when I ran it through the chameleon but better.

Back to the Jem. It looks and plays like a dream. I love the feel of 6105 frets, slightly wider string spacing (compared to an RG550), and just the general feel of moving around the neck. The only other guitar I've played that gave me the buttery feeling was a custom shop strat with a birds eye maple neck.

I just can't seem to bring myself to enjoy the sound of it anymore. Is it the missing pedals I need in between? I have a delay, preamp, compressor units in mind, but is that really going to change anything? Maybe the JEM was suppose to be one of those guitars you need pedals for? What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 05:31 PM
Banned

Re: Actually considering letting my JEM go

i know where your coming from bud.i really liked my 7vwh (ebony board) but hated the neck it was causing a lot of pain in my wrist so it had to go,tone wise i thought it was awsome,that said your setup is different from mine,not that im saying mine is better just different.im told that to get the best out of a 7vwh it needs playing through a tube amp cranked up,how far true that is i dont know.anyways its a hard decision for you,at least if you sell it and you regret it later you can easy buy one as long as you have some $$$$$.there was thousands of these made so easy get another,good luck anyways kid.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 05:56 PM

You just have to decide for yourself if it's a guitar for you or not. It's that simple. Don't keep it because it is a great guitar, it's a ****ing awesome guitar, keep it because you want to. If not, sell it.
I have 5 les pauls and a Jem. I love the Jem. To me, it is a les paul, a strat, and whatever else rolled into one. It is versatile.

It is my #1

Good luck!
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 06:32 PM

if your main complaint is just the sound (comparing the sound of the jem vs. the strat), but you love the way the jem plays, i think the obvious solution would be to look into some replacement pick-ups and switch out those evos. of course you'll never get a 2 humbucker guitar to sound like a strat, but if you are just looking for some sort of 'personality' then you can easily get something different from some other pickups. i will say i personally dislike the sound of evos, so that may be what is turning you off from the guitar. it would help though if you can be more specific about exactly what you don't like about the tone you are getting.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 08:46 PM

I'm 100% with RastaChild. You should get some new pickups!

I'm the type of person that always replaces the pickups on a guitar. I find that almost as exciting as buying the guitar itself. I have found that stock pickups simply aren't that great. The Evos are the best stock pickups I've ever come across, but they really lack something when played straight through a tube amp. I haven't played them through a processor. I'm a straight tube amp type of guy.

I put Bill Lawrence (not USA) L-500 XL/R pups into mine. It made a very noticeable difference and it really opened it up.

There are five main factors in your tone: Guitar woods, Pickups, Cable Capacitance, Amp and Speakers. You already have the woods. Cable isn't the most important. You now have a good amp. The next logical step to getting the most out of everything is the pickups.

Make it a project. You'll enjoy it!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 02:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeizeTheDave View Post
I'm 100% with RastaChild. You should get some new pickups!

I'm the type of person that always replaces the pickups on a guitar. I find that almost as exciting as buying the guitar itself. I have found that stock pickups simply aren't that great. The Evos are the best stock pickups I've ever come across, but they really lack something when played straight through a tube amp. I haven't played them through a processor. I'm a straight tube amp type of guy.

I put Bill Lawrence (not USA) L-500 XL/R pups into mine. It made a very noticeable difference and it really opened it up.

There are five main factors in your tone: Guitar woods, Pickups, Cable Capacitance, Amp and Speakers. You already have the woods. Cable isn't the most important. You now have a good amp. The next logical step to getting the most out of everything is the pickups.

Make it a project. You'll enjoy it!
i put evo's in a rg2550z (basswood) awwww man it sounded hideous.i like evo's (alder) great combination,but ive heard loads of people complain about the evo's in 7vwh.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 02:25 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I prefer Evo's in basswood, awww man it sounds amazing!!!!

Which proves tone is subjective

I'd suggest that if you're looking at getting "your" tone then you need to work on building it stage by stage, pickups are one piece of the puzzle, but if your amp is taking your tone in a completely different direction then you might need to have a BIG rethink.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 02:30 AM Thread Starter

hmm switching the PUs sound like an interesting idea. I never thought about that really. Has anyone had the chance to try out either DiMarzio breeds or the AT1 in a JEM? I'm actually looking for something that has some of the strat quality in it. I actually find the middle jem single coil to give off that quality if you dial it right, but I'm looking for something a bit closer but not a strat. I have a real strat for that. Come to think of it...I really really like Andy Timmons's tone.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Definitely introduced a new option that I never thought of. If I could find a set of pickups that sound more to my liking in the JEM that'd be ideal.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 02:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post

I'd suggest that if you're looking at getting "your" tone then you need to work on building it stage by stage, pickups are one piece of the puzzle, but if your amp is taking your tone in a completely different direction then you might need to have a BIG rethink.
Tone sure is subjective. I guess my tastes changed too!

I don't think it's my amp though. There's a lot about the Mesa lonestar special that I really love, but let's save that for another thread. It's just that when you take out all the efx that I'm use to using, and going pretty much straight into the amp. The tone just didn't do it for me anymore in the JEM.

I think pickups make a pretty big difference. After all, that's where the tone begins right after your fingers and strings. When I swapped out the stock PUs in my strat for the lace sensor golds, the different was very significant.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 03:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post

no disrespect to jono,but i put evo's in a rg2550z (basswood) and it sounded horrible i was well gutted,that said jono's guitar might of had a different neck ect.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 07:33 AM

Evo pickups are, in my opinion, utter soulless rubbish. Flat, lifeless and just not very organic. They are made for heavy processing, and just don't stand up to soulfullness, people here will disagree, but I almsot sold my BSB several times, then i put some different pickups in it, and like it a hell of a lot more, it's fuller, richer, and more bluesy if that makes sense.

If you like the way the guitar plays, I'd go and put some pickups in it that suit the sound you want from it more, the pickup game is a bit of an experimentational road, but it's worth trying out and seeing what that does
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Dying Trees View Post
Evo pickups are, in my opinion, utter soulless rubbish. Flat, lifeless and just not very organic. They are made for heavy processing, and just don't stand up to soulfullness, people here will disagree, but I almsot sold my BSB several times, then i put some different pickups in it, and like it a hell of a lot more, it's fuller, richer, and more bluesy if that makes sense.

If you like the way the guitar plays, I'd go and put some pickups in it that suit the sound you want from it more, the pickup game is a bit of an experimentational road, but it's worth trying out and seeing what that does
You basically described what I wanted to say. Except I was afraid of saying it.

What did you swap out the Evo's with by the way? Just curious. I'm most likely going to try a pair of AT1's in mine.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 12:38 PM

Reviews: 34

I have a paf pro in the bridge and HS3's in the neck and middle of an Alder Strat. I also think that Paf's sound nice coil tapped in the neck position, so there is my suggestion.

Paf Pro - HS3 - Paf Pro, and coil tap the hums.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Dying Trees View Post
You see soulless rubbish and I see clinical perfection, you say they're not very organic and I say thank the heavens for that!!! I don't want stodgy potato blues sound, I want crisp, engineered aggression.

Which is really derailing the thread so I'll stop there
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 01:42 PM

lol!

looks like a thread to dissuade somebody to commit suicide !

Tags
jem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode