Advice on pickups for my Universe? (muddy blazes) - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2002, 02:43 AM Thread Starter

Advice on pickups for my Universe? (muddy blazes)

Hey
I was thinking about putting an EMG 707 in it but i would have to route it.
The stock pups are way too muddy for me.
I need something smooth and more open/trebly.
Thanx for any advice.
I want to be completely sure before i spend the bucks to upgrade it.
(I'm broke. Just bought a Marshall JMP-1 lol. )

BTW I will probably be playing mostly metal covers with it so they need to be high output.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2002, 03:44 AM

There are now several options for 7 stringer razors out there. You might like the EMG7, PAF 7 or the EVO 7. Other really nice pickups to check out might be the Tone Zone 7 (very beefy) or the Air Norton 7 (very smooth)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2002, 03:53 AM

I'm a huge advocate for the 707's. Both my rg7620's have them. If you don't want do do any routing on your UV you might want to see if you could find a Bullet preamp for it. I think the Bullets are pretty reasonably priced. Under $100. That's what B.C. Rich uses in their USA made 7 strings to make the DiMarzios hotter.
Wow. I just realized something. The Bullet preamps are built here in my hometown and Larry DiMarzio lives here too. Hmmm? Coincidence?
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2002, 04:15 AM

Are you sure it's the pickups that are muddy?

The Blaze II's in the Universe are the clearest sounding 7-string pickups DiMarzio makes. (and prolly that ANYONE makes...)

I nearly dropped a load the first time I pickup up a UV777BK and heard the way the bridge pickup sounded. Note definition like nothing else, and that's with my 5150's pre-amp gain on 7... I replaced the "New-7's" in my 7620's and the stock pickup in my 2027 and have never been happier.

The extra-beefy New-7 pickup is probably the muddiest thing out there, but I don't see how any of the other things they've come out with for 7's could be clearer, tonewise, than the Blaze II.

just my 2 cents while I wait for a mix to bounce down...

ryan
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2002, 08:21 AM

not sure the Evo7 or PAF7 will be trebly enough for you.

i recorded this with my UV (and some Jem too).
http://www.jemsite.insomnia-vhosting...pic.php?t=7241

Both guitars have the Evo/Paf combination (bridge & neck respectively).
the download is about 5 Megs

~K
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2002, 10:16 AM
Ibanez endorsed

John did a killer custom 7 string (Alder body for more of a bright tone) with EMG's in it. here is a pic

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2002, 11:36 AM

Nice looking body Rick!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2002, 11:46 AM
Ibanez endorsed

Its not my body just one of the bodies that was made for someone by the "EKG" custom guitar shop. I think they do great work!!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2002, 04:56 PM

Actually, thats mahogany. It was made for me!! I highly recomend the 707's, especialy for metal! I love em. I still have my og uv7bk body that the 707's were once in and it dosent look like much wood was removed to make em fit. another cool pup is the carvin seven string pup, there pretty powerful and are fairly cheap too.
Greg.

Tags
air norton , alder body , bridge pickup , custom guitar , guitar shop , larry dimarzio , marshall jmp , string pickup , string pickups , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode